1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Legal or Illegal (Windows Licence)

Discussion in 'Software' started by GiGo, 8 Aug 2015.

1. GiGo

GiGo was once a nerd.....

I recently ordered a MeePadGo T02 off ebay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MeeGo-T02...032?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item58c2c173c0) so I can put it in the HDMI slot in a 32" Touchscreen Monitor I picked up last weekend from ebay. I have mounted the monitor on the wall in the kitchen for some lovely 'media' access.

But......

When I booted the stick I was greeted with a installation of Windows 8.1 with a password protect user name of MeeGo, tried password, no luck, tried admin, no luck, tried MeeGo, success :rock:

Installed all necessary drivers for the touch screen and 5 mins later I'm using it perfectly, woop woop :D

So I went to add my user account and then it comes up with "You must activate Windows before you customise your PC".

Um... I thought, this should be a full version of Windows 8.1 not a Trial/Evaluation Version, so I re-read the ebay listing, no mention of trial version, but also no mention of 8.1 being on the stick, only that it is 8.1 compatible.......

Um......

So I fired off a quick email yesterday to the Chinese Ebayer:
    My aim to to point out that they need to say it's only an evaluation version and not a full version and with any hope get a discount on the device ;)

When I woke up this morning I have had a response:

Attached to the email was two images one of which was this

[​IMG]

hmm........

Now my question is this:

"What should I do?"

1) Tell ebay and demand a refund
    2) Forward my message to Microsoft outlining what they have said
    3) Do nothing and use the KMS Activator full well knowing it's illegal
    4) Install Windows 10 Tech Preview and forget the whole thing
    5) Email them back saying my AntiVirus has kicked up saying it's a potential harmful program and has removed it from my system and then demand a refund

I'm thinking options in this order:

5 in hope that they ask me not to say anything and give me a full refund in exchange,
    failing that
    Option 1 and 2
    Then Option 4 as I just as well

What do others think?

Anyone else had a similar problem?

I know the original T01 came with only a trial version of Windows 8.1 (it's been well documented) but I was under the impression that MS pretty much give away 8.1 with Bing for anyone making a device with a screen 7" or below or with no screen or with low powered hardware.

So what should I do, I'm currently trying to formulate a response invloving option 5

Regards
    GiGo

2. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Get Ebay involved, and get your money back.

Since the add says it comes with Full Windows 8.1.

Then it should come with a legit copy of windows 8.1 and not have a trial and the seller should not be asking you to run a "Activator" to install a dodgy license.

This seller should be stopped from selling them as who knows how many people are being conned by this.

3. GiGo

I didn't read that bit of the listing, must of skipped over it.

4. sparkyboy22

sparkyboy22 Web Tinkerer

1. Gotta get ebay involved.
    and
    2. Worth an email, do they still give a free licence if you have genuinely been stitched up with a dodgy copy or did that stop years ago?

I wouldnt bother with the rest.

5. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

6. GiGo

7. GiGo

Um... so I had emailed the seller and after one reply and I opened up a case with ebay to return the item stating that he was selling an illegal item. Ebay didn't really seem to care!

So I sent him this message:

Hello, Thank you for your response. I am still very concerned by the .exe program you are asking me to run, please see the below link with Anti Virus test results: https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/...3730c8035798248362a763979e485cc8027/analysis/ It clearly states that it is a Hack Tool. Curious to what this means I google the KMS Activator and came across this web page: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...s/8749afe1-7e09-439e-a186-2aa781fab939?auth=1 Responses say that KMS licence is not trust worthy. Can I activate my Windows via Telephone or email with Microsoft? Also where will I find the licence key for my Windows? Thank you for your time, I hope we can resolve this quickly. Giles

And his response this morning:
    hi friend: This item software is cracked version, so it has virus reminder, but we have tested it, it is safety. dont worry about this. because this system is pirated, so if you contact Microsoft, they also tell you this system is pirated. this will not affect you to use it. best wishes

He openly admits it!!!!!!

8. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

I'd be tempted to report It here

9. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

100% illegal. I would start a case with eBay and/or PayPal.

10. GiGo

I have, the annoying thing is, he is blaming the supplier of the Stick and said they gave him the KMS activator.

11. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

That's not an issue. He's knowingly selling (he admitted it too, and you have proof) illegal software. It's his responsibility to ensure that he is not trading illegally obtained goods, be it hardware or software.

12. GiGo

I have, but have to wait another few days before 'they step in'

13. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Hehe, pretty standard practice when I was over there.

Bought a nice all-in-one PC, worked okay at first but activation problems came after installing Microsoft antivirus. Got told to run something similar, in the end I dug out one of my Win7 keys from university and activated it.