1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Reinstalling windows but with problems

Discussion in 'Software' started by Tigernos, 16 Apr 2012.

1. Tigernos

Tigernos Resident Roman Soldier

So my laptop has some issues, mainly with the fact that the 300gb HD is nearly full and I have no idea what its full OF. Its also booting slower than my desktop with XP on it. (That might be normal but I'm a newbie)

So, I want to clean it off and give it a fresh start with Win7 64bit. I don't have a disc but I know you get get ISOs for that BUT the key on the sticker conveniently affixed to the bottom of the laptop has been rubbed mostly illegible by having been sat on my lap (fancy that with a laptop)

Is there any way to find out the CD key aside from my now useless piece of adhesive and paper?

2. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

3. Tigernos

I assumed anything called magical jelly bean would be a troll. But I guess I'll try it.

If it breaks my laptop I'll hunt you down and smash your Earth server while your Moon is down... muhuhahahaha

4. Fire Strike

Fire Strike What's a Dremel?

Can you not just right click "Computer" in the start menu, got down to "properties" and then at the bottom of that page should be your activation status and your current product key.

5. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

it won't break your laptop. I've used it long time.

6. Tigernos

Nope, there is a number there but its a load of digits with "OEM" then another few digits, it bears no resemblance to what is still legible on the key sticker.

7. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

8. DeafGamer2015

DeafGamer2015 Minimodder

use the magical jelly bean program.. I heard it's quite good.. it doesn't hurt your computer.. it'll bring you the information you need to reinstall your Windows..

9. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

This only works for Windows Vista/7 Ultimate, edition (maybe also 8, we will have to see once the editions are set, and of course that the OS is finished development)

Arrg, I hate laptops that puts the product key at the bottom of the system. I think the best spot, is where Dell Business class system puts it, UNDER the battery compartment. So basically, if you remove the battery, the label is on the system. This way the laptop is protected by the battery, and also you have a nicer, cleaner looking system.

10. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

Just install windows 8 imo

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G with Beats Audio using Tapatalk 2

11. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

LOL.. you've nothing to lose if you were re-installing windows anyway.

Moon is up again. I had a brand new WD EARS drive ready and waiting.. no flies on me! There's a hot spare installed in Earth too.. ready to kick in should it decide to throw a hissy fit too :) The broken drive is already RMAd to WD... new one on its way via courier ready to sit in the cupboard waiting should this happen again.

12. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

What about speccy? Just install that and click operating system and it will show your serial number.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 16 Apr 2012
  13. Tigernos

Sadly this number also doesn't match what is left of the license sticker. I've only got the first set of digits still eligible but that serial doesn't match them either.

14. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Serial number and license key are two different entities. I've used Magic Jelly Bean on loads of computers and it does exactly what it says, finds keys. The paid for version also finds other keys apart from Windows.

15. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

This. As others have said, Magic Jell Bean is great. You can even change your product key with it.

16. tony007

tony007 What's a Dremel?

17. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Also - before you go ahead and reinstall windows you could try windirstat to find out what your hard drive is full of and / or run ccleaner to try to clear some junk - even if it's just to reduce your backup size before you reinstall

GK

18. Tigernos

I'll give tht a try. I use ccleaner regularly. I suspect it's a few movies or tv shows I've downloaded and theyre kicking around the drive somewhere obscure. The thing is due for a proper clean out anyway. Anything I want/need is already backed up so I just wanna wipe it and start from zero.

19. Fat Tony

Fat Tony Minimodder

Another vote for the Magic Jelly Bean

20. short1uk

short1uk Minimodder

With the key worn off the OEM key (one used to install the OS) wont work with a Win7 disk - have tried this. What you need is a disk from the laptop manufacturer. What make is the laptop? These sometime dont need activating as they detect its the right disk for the right machine.

First thing I do when setting up new machines is put cello tape over the product key!