1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HTPC HTPC help please.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MightyBenihana, 22 May 2012.

1. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

Hi,

I'm looking to build an HTPC after getting annoyed with my current set up being very fickle when playing different media but really not sure what I need in terms of power.

Here is my build as it looks now.

http://www.scan.co.uk/savedbasket/32b6920784f54e9b8d10230667dac0cc

I really like the case but I need help in terms of CPU and GPU.

Do I need a quad core is is this i3 up to the job.

Also i like the idea of a passive gpu but I am thinking ahead here as I don't want to be constantly upgrading this machine so I'm opting for a bit more power and I can always set the fan to a lower speed profile.

Ideally I don' want to Spend over 750 pounds and the less the better.

Any advice is appreciated

2. deadsea

deadsea What's a Dremel?

Depends on what you want to do with it. Pure HTPC? Then that is way overkill...

I run a AMD XII 250 and thats plenty. No need for a 3rd party cooler either. Unless the stock fan is really that loud... Not as if it's regularly going full tilt. Graphics wise, you might want to stick to Nvidia if you intend to run a Linux OS (I run openelec btw). AMD does have some issues there. If windows then all's good.

Do note that a GT210 offers acceptable to sufficient performance for 1080p video, so use that as a rough guide.

Also you could skimp on the ram if you want to. I hardly go over 1GB in use. And do you really need a second DVD drive? The blu-ray should do both. And of course the corresponding reduction in psu capacity with all the hardware trimming. No point running a 500W psu in the 30-40% range.

3. Dazza007

Dazza007 What's a Dremel?

imo keep the ram but maybe get a cheaper set. My 4gb is always running at 2.7gb running mce/av/graphics/ etc. The graphics card is over kill. I seem to have problems with cases that have a hdmi socket. Seems to conflict with the high def audio grinding machine to a standstill (irq conflicts). I Tried the HD4850, HD4630, NvidiaGT210 all of which conflicted with the def irq so I've settled for an Nvidia 8400gs Fanless gpu which works well and is silent. Defo ditch the stock cooler an go for something like a Frio if it'll fit. Everything else seems ok but you only need 1 optical drive.

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

HTPC only? What is your current setup? I have an Athlon II X3 @ 2.4GHz on an 890GX and it plays everything.

Drop the GPU, drop the motherboard, get yourself a H77 or H67 micro ATX board and get 4GB of bog standard 1333. The HD2000 or the 3.1GHz i3 will be plenty enough to playback anything.

OR

Go Llano: Get an A6 and FM1 motherboard like the F1A75-I Deluxe. Expensive board but comes with HTPC remote control/keyboard combo. Full AMD driver support just like the 6670 too. Drop it into a mini-ITX case - very small and neat!

Spend the money on a Seasonic X400 fanless - it'll be worth it.

Are you recording stuff on that HDD? Storage only? Grab a 40GB SSD and drop the OS and basic HTPC software on there. I run my HTPC on an old 30GB SSD with 8GB spare after setup. SSD = silent = win!

Dazz - IRQ conflicts in 2012? Are you running Win98? :O:O:O

5. Dazza007

Dazza007 What's a Dremel?

[QUOTE/]

Dazz - IRQ conflicts in 2012? Are you running Win98? :O:O:O[/QUOTE]

Lol: I kid you not, windows 7 pro and xp pro both suffered the same conflicts. You can either turn the pc into a standard computer (instead of ACPI) or disable the high def audio. It took pure weeks to figure it out properly and get the tv card to play perfectly, the GT210 had problems displaying video in mce, it would play the sound and display the desktop and icons but wmc had a black screen.

6. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

My current setup is a 42 inch Samsung 1080p TV and a cheap DVD player.

It will be mainly for storing my film library and some things for my daughter but I would also like to secretly install EVE Online on there for a late night session when possible as my gaming PC is now in my office at work (self employed, so no worries about the boss seeing)

Could someone maybe have a go at specing me an HTPC if they have the time just to see what you guys come up with.

Max budget 750 but as I said before less is better.

7. davefelcher

davefelcher What's a Dremel?

Something like this would be good (think I have everything there):
    http://www.scan.co.uk/savedbasket/ab361c50852c4d5bb364327466883f20

If you want a TV tuner I recommend the Blackgold BGT3620.

I can't really comment on the games performance of the CPU/GPU as I have never used one but it should be plenty powerful for Blu-rays. If it isn't powerful enough for EVE you could always add a discrete GPU.

When looking for HTPC stuff think low power and quiet.
    Bindibadji had some good suggestions so look into those too.

8. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

I'm running a Pentium g620 on a Zotac h67 for my htpc and have been overall happy with it. It struggles a little on very high bitrate1080p as the HD2000 isn't that great but otherwise is fine. I looked at the i3 when I was planning this pc, but didn't see much to warrant the higher cost over the Pentium for htpc use.

I had an Atom / Ion set up prior. It had the same issues with playback, depending on the source. It can't do HW acceleration on certain filetypes if the resolution is anything other than exactly 480p, 720p or 1080p.

9. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

currently using a llano setup

A6-3500 with only 2GB of RAM (i had it spare) + 64GB M4 boot drive. I have no issue playing anything on my XMBC interface.

Tags: