1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Long Term Cloud Storage Solution

Discussion in 'Software' started by sotu1, 6 Jan 2013.

1. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Hi guys,

Just thinking about backing up everything I have that's of real value to a cloud service so that should a HDD of mine go bust I have a backup on a server somewhere.

This isn't so much for being able to access files on the go, more to do with backing up data and not touching it unless something locally goes wrong.

Any thoughts on a good provider or a solution?

2. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

Dropbox are great, new service provider is coming soon called mega which is exciting, avoid all the small ones like media fire, rapid share and such,

How much data do you need to store?

3. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Was thinking of commiting about 10-20 gb of data to cloud. The key things are my music and my photos. Everything else is kind of 'meh, i lost it so what.'

4. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

I had similar thoughts but my photos run to over 45gb and I doubt I could be bothered running the computer for days and days while that swamps my upload. Instead I bought a cheap (slow) 64gb and take it into the office, odds of the house and the office burning down on the same night are fairly slim.

5. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Pretty much what steveo said. Even better solution is if you can find someone (work, family) who will allow you to put your backup computer system somewhere and you will just back up remotely.

6. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

Amazon S3 Glacier is your friend. Cheap, highly redundant and secure.

7. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

8. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

I take back my dropbox comment it's been a thorn in the side all night.

9. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

I would second Amazon S3 we use it in work to backup clients, very very cheap and never goes down for us

10. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

S3 is great.

11. rollo

rollo Modder

Buy a cheap External drive and stick it in a safe.

12. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

KeepVault is good also very cheap and been rock solid and saved me loosing a few files despite having multiple backups :)

13. Matticus

Matticus ...

To you guys who use S3 what software do you use to either do direct backups or mount drives locally? I have seen a few solutions to mount a bucket as a local drive (my ideal solution) but these cost money and I am not willing to splash out unless I know it is good.

14. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

We use Jungle disk but i would stay away from them, i havent seen any updates for there software in over a year, it seems like a dead product which we will be moving away from in the not too distant future

Matticus likes this.
  15. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Matticus likes this.
  16. Matticus

Matticus ...

I will stay away from Jungle Disk, thanks for the info. I haven't got anything spare and Linux kicking about.

I have been using SyncBack free for ages to do my backups from Local Pc to external HDD and/or my Synology and I just noticed that the Pro version will backup straight to S3. It is £37 for a pro licence but you can then use that version forever. I am trying out the Pro trial now.

The only downside to this is the lack of drive mounting so isn't quite a dropbox like say... Dropbox :p but if I set it to push up certain folders to S3 on a schedule it will just be like a delayed dropbox.

17. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Weirdly enough this popped up at work today and looks perfect for my personal backup. Was honestly surprised how cheap it is :D Only $0.011 per GB / month (for EU Ireland) is just stupid, it's basically pocket change!

Do you use Glacier? Don't happen to use CloudBerry by any chance?

18. Matticus

Matticus ...

The only "issue" with Glacier is when it comes to getting the data out. It costs quite a lot to move 10s of GB's out. It really is supposed to be your final backup, which is great is that is what you need. For me S3 is better as I want to be able to access certain files on it from variously places occasionally.

One thing I didn't notice before is that my Synology can backup to S3. I am not sure how efficient it is, I presume it will only upload changed files etc. I haven't had chance to check it out yet.

19. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

I only use Glacier as as final backup position, and never access the files in day-to-day use, as my NAS is accessible worldwide anyway. The overall cost of using Glacier as opposed to using S3 Standard or RRS, even if I have to pull my 80-odd GB backup all at once, is still a major saving in cost. Remember though, if you're not pulling more than 1GB a month in general use, you can do that for free, even with Glacier.

I run S3 through my Synology. Trust me, it's a perfect setup. Works seamlessly, without you having to worry about it, and yes it's a differential check, unless you decide you want a full set again.

I don't. I run it through my Synology NAS.

There are a few ways to get S3 working. Check out their FAQ section for different ways. A lot of products have the interface built into them. Synology are a big fan of theirs, for example, and have made it very easy to configure a backup to S3 as often as you like.

Matticus likes this.
  20. Mechh69

Mechh69 I think we can make that fit

Just out of curiosity how secure is your data when someone else stores it? I.E. if you have family/military records with personal information? Thoughts, and this is not a hijack just thinking out loud.