1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Small screw stuck in phone - any tips on how to get it out?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by PortalBen, 17 Jan 2013.

1. PortalBen

PortalBen Minimodder

Hi. I'm currently replacing the screen on my Samsung Galaxy S3. Unfortunately, there is one small screw I have to remove from the mainboard that is incredibly tight and I can't unscrew it. I've now sheared the head of the screw as well through trying to loosen it. If anyone has any ideas on how to undo it then I'd greatly appreciate it!

Cheers,
    Ben

2. Andersen

Andersen I'm fine. I'M FINE! *banshee howl*

Can you see threadlocking compount in it? Usually red or blue blob of glue-ish looking stuff. Try heating it carefully (not more than 20-30C above ambient) and have a go at it with pliers that have fresh jaws (read: fresh pliers, not your grandpa's).

3. PortalBen

PortalBen Minimodder

Yeah there's blue stuff on all the screws, that must be it! I don't have small enough pliers for the job though, the head of the screw is ~ 1mm thick.

4. PortalBen

PortalBen Minimodder

I'm thinking of just filing of the head of the screw and then just taking the mainboard out. Anyone have any opinions on whether this would be a good idea?

5. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

I have had luck in the past of putting a rubber band between the screwdriver and the screwhead - for a bit more friction...

6. PortalBen

PortalBen Minimodder

I already tried that to no avail :(

Thanks anyway though!

Ben

7. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

sounds like you will need to drill the top of the screw out with a fine bit.

8. Andersen

Andersen I'm fine. I'M FINE! *banshee howl*

That sort of screw is pretty easy to break. TBH it can take maybe quarter of a Nm of torque and it breaks in two.

Just an idea. You got other screws out right? See if you can lift and turn the display module just enough to break the threadlocker or even to completely unscrew that bugger.

9. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

B****r... I had a similar situation, albeit with a bigger screw, and I can't for the life of me remember how I got round it now. I'll rack my brain and post back if I remember :thumb:

GK

10. Daedelus

Daedelus What's a Dremel?

That's what I would do. Getting a file in there without doing some sort of damage is going to be tricky.