1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about Job references

Discussion in 'Serious' started by RevDarny, 10 Oct 2013.

1. RevDarny

RevDarny Minimodder

Serious question and i'm after an outsiders opinion.

I've recently applied for a job through an agency. Sent them my CV and a cover note, the usual stuff. The agency is after my references so that they can be sent to the potential employers. They're saying they won't be contacted unless I get to a face to face interview.

My problem with this is that I don't want them contacting my employer in case i'm not offered the job. I'm fine with previous employers but not my current boss. One thing is that it won't go down well if my current boss finds out i'm seeking employment elsewhere. I'm happy with them to contact my current boss if i'm offered the job and I except. I have nothing to hide in that respect.

I'm thinking of replying to the agency guy saying they can have my previous employers references but not my current one unless i'm offered the job.

What are your thoughts?

2. PauloWhysalli

PauloWhysalli Confused.com

This should not be an issue at all, when I worked as a recruitment consultant we would not make contact with a current employer. Generally you would be offered a position subject to satisfactory references and at that point they would make contact with your current employer.

RevDarny likes this.
  3. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

Agreed - Keywords here are "References on request" - that is, for the potential employer to request references - not the agency.

RevDarny likes this.
  4. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

Perfectly reasonable and you have every right to demand this. If they insist on contacting your current employer they're an awful agency and don't use them.

RevDarny likes this.
  5. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

I don't think they want your current employer but the ones before that.

RevDarny likes this.
  6. RevDarny

RevDarny Minimodder

Thanks for the advice people. My plan is to give my last current employers and advise that my current one is available on request.

7. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

Unless it's contract/temporary work in which case the agency may require them.

8. rollo

rollo Modder

Depends alot on the security requirements of the job your applying for.

For example any job where you need to sign the secrets act ( there is many, Passport office been 1 of the big ones ) They would require your current employers reference for security purposes along with the last 3 jobs you had.

If its for simple admin work then not sure how your references are really relivent till you have gone for the interview and been offered the job in question.

9. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

Just explain to them that you will supply the necessary reference upon acceptance of a job offer... they don't need them before that. Moreover, this is the usual approach for the majority of roles.

They may like them early, but they can't demand it and they are not going to let it get between them and potential commission.