1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU PS4 PRO PSU / MOD HELP

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by imersa, 9 Jan 2017.

1. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

So bit of random one. Looking for someone with many electrical skills to chip in with some advise on a project. I am about to machine a custom watercooled monoblock/case for my PS4 Pro. Now that whole project is pretty straight forward for us but the PSU is not.

The PS4 pro is actually super nice and modular and easy to work with/repair. Has a 310w power supply. Now at mega 4k load the thing only uses around 200 odd apparently so no issues in possibly trying to use a little.

To complete this I need to power the watercooling pump. Be it 3pin or molex or whatever we can do. Easy option but adding size would be to use a mains to molex adaptor but since we got head room on the PSU would be great to borrow some power.

Due to how everything works in Playstation land this may simply not even come close to being possible but had hoped someone may have more of an idea.

Happy to send it to someone pro to have them solder or mod and or do whatever needs to be done and don't mind buying anything we may require.

Photo of the PSU for an idea:

[​IMG]

2. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Wouldn't the PS4 fan header provide enough power for the pump?

3. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

I was thinking exactly the same - but it might have to run fans+pump which may be too large a current draw.

4. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

My brain was so concerned about the pump I forgot all about the fan header. To be fair, playing Diablo the other day that single fan was almost making more noise than the game sound so maybe it uses a lot of power. Perhaps I could read how much the fan pulls in a test or something. We can use a very small pump, perhaps something like Alphacool DC-LT 2600. Can't imagine it pulls much. The beauty is the fan could be ran super super slow as well.

5. jinq-sea

Has the fan got any sort of current rating written on it? Else there's probably an iFixit tear down...

(I don't want to open mine haha)

Last edited: 9 Jan 2017
  6. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

Was just reading the tear down and not a bad section:

'This Nidec fan is rated for 2.1 amps at 12 volts, or 25.2 watts. So that's where all that extra PSU power is going...'

7. jinq-sea

Cripes! Lots of wigglies going to the fan. You'll get a modest pump and fan or two on that no sweat. Fancy making a second case? ;)

8. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

Yeah more than enough room for a nice fan and a pump. Going to include the pump top as a part of the frosted case. Throw 960GB SSD in and see how it goes. I think the front light on the console alone will make the frosted acrylic case glow nice!

Watch this space anyway I will run a project log and could make as second one as a kit perhaps! :D

9. jinq-sea

Nice nice. Sounds epic!

10. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Looking forward to it! :thumb: