1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Thermolab Trinity Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 19 Jan 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. Deadpunkdave

Deadpunkdave ...why you need a 20-sided die

Nice review as ever, thanks.

I don't know if just my eyesight by the keys on the thermal performance graph seem to have two identical boxes - the idle box doesn't look faded.

3. Blarte

Blarte Moderate Modder

On these tests, sure direct comparrisons ought to be used. If you include water sets, they should be the same price as the air cooled item.

4. Tattysnuc

Tattysnuc Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

Am I missing something? Page 2 reads:

LGA2011 test system:

Core i7-3960X Extreme Edition overclocked to 4.3GHz
    using a vcore of1.285V

yet there's no LGA2011 results.... Eh?

LennyRhys likes this.
  5. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

6. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

I do wish reviews such as this would include a section on the actual installation of the cooler itself. Bit used to do this but it seems to have fallen by the way side. It wouldn't even be that hard to add given that you have to install the thing anyway.....

7. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Dark rock pro still wins for good cooling & noise :).

8. Saivert

Saivert Minimodder

At least it doesn't occlude the RAM slot area unlike certain other coolers (Noctua NH-D14 I'm looking at you!)

9. kzinti1

kzinti1 What's a Dremel?

I also noticed that. Plus, I backed up to the 1st page several times to make sure LGA2011 wasn't even listed in the compatibility chart.
    I seriously doubt anyone would fail to use the very best cooler they could find on those overly expensive SandyBridge-Enterprise Edition cpu's, anyway. Certainly they wouldn't use this turkey even if it were compatible.
    Apparently, this is just a very poor cooler. Regardless of the excellent CNC machining on the direct contact heat pipes. Something I've wondered about ever since I 1st saw this type of configuration.
    There's no reason whatsoever why manufacturers should leave gaps between the heatsink and heat pipes this day and age. Other than to cheap out and save a buck or two. Luckily, I spotted that defect on the 1st direct-contact heatpipe cooler and have never bought one.
    I would also like to see these air-coolers mounted on a motherboard, but, in this case, it certainly would not have helped since no one in their right mind would use one of these things. Especially since the critically acclaimed CoolerMaster Hyper 212 is available for $30.00 USD, or usually quite a bit less.
    Thanks for the warning, err, review. Very nicely written.

10. Farfalho

Farfalho Minimodder

+1

Nice to see something coming up good on the AM3+

11. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

what ever happened to the Frios being on these tests? It is a damn good cooler.

12. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

As Tatty says, not sure what happened to the LGA 2011 result, and the "idle" and "load" legend have exactly the same colour (to my eyes). Nice review though.

Tags: Add Tags