1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

System tray cpu and gpu clients

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by euroned, 9 Jul 2009.

1. euroned

euroned What's a Dremel?

Have just put gpu sys tray client on as well as cpu sys tray client, leave cpu sys tray running all times(duo core e6400) and can still surf, play games. Would the gpu tray client be best for when i leave it on to get some extra ppd or is another client better?
    Advice plz for newbie!

Ty

Ned

Last edited: 15 Jul 2009
  2. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

If you want the ease of stopping and starting the GPU client, then the system tray version is best.

3. euroned

euroned What's a Dremel?

I like to mainly do other stuff on my pc as do my mrs and it doesn't stay on 24/7, so the ease of being able to turn on/off gpu system tray client is good, i have my cpu tray client on autostartup anyways!

My ppd is probably very small, but pc goes on everyday and gets some clocks(+plus borrowed some cpu clocks at work 24/7 to help along!), all helps in the end!!:D:D:D:D

Ned

4. euroned

euroned What's a Dremel?

Just alittle more help plz...my systray gpu client really rocks and my cpu systray client is ok, but just worked out the cpu only runs at 50%! How do i get the other core to be engaged so cpu runs on both cores 100% and gpu client run at the same time?

My spec Duo Core E6400 @2.13 running @2.77 with 4gb pc2 6400 and Nvidia 8800 GTS 512

Nearing the magic 20,000 points...wooohoo!

Ned

5. saspro

saspro IT monkey

To run the cpu at 100% you either need to run 2 cpu clients or the smp client (for smp your machine needs to be on 24/7)

6. euroned

euroned What's a Dremel?

I tried running 2 cpu clients but it mirrors the same as the first cpu client then shuts down? How is the best way to set up two cpu clients?

Ty

Ned

7. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Have you changed the install path, renamed the prog & changed the machine ID?

Configuring the systray client for multiple cores.

1) Install the Systray client with default locations (drive:\Program Files\Folding@Home\Folding@home-x86\) and (drive:\Documents and Settings\user\Application Data\Folding@home-x86).

2) Start the Systray client from the Folding@home-x86 section of the start menu. configure the client as normal, leave the Machine ID as 1 and I set -local in the Additional Client Parameters (but this may not be necessary). Quit the systray client.

3) Create a new folder in the data folder call it "Core 1". Move all the files in the data folder including the work folder to the "Core 1" folder. Copy Folding@home.exe from (drive:\Program Files\Folding@Home\Folding@home-x86\) to the Core 1 folder and then make a short cut to it, rename the shortcut "Folding@home systray 1"

4) Repeat step 2 changing the Machine ID to 2 this time.

5) Repeat step 3 but calling the new directory "Core 2" and the new short cut "Folding@home systray 2"

6) repeat 2 & 3 for any more cores.

7) remove any existing folding at home short cuts in the start-up section of your start menu. copy your new "Folding@home systray 1" and "Folding@home systray 2" shortcuts into the start-up section of your start menu. Then on a restart you should get 2 FAH icons in the systray pointing to the 2 new data directories.