1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Linux blamed for Samsung laptop deaths

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 31 Jan 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. derviansoul

derviansoul What's a Dremel?

I think samsung should just have tested the laptops appropriately to ensure that this won't happen, since there is a big minority of users that like linux in their laptops.
    Doesn't matter how bigger are the profits for some of these companies, they are always cutting corners...

3. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

at first i thought that people were killed by samsung laptops and it was linux's fault

lp rob1 likes this.
  4. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Kudos to Samsung for not saying "Meh, it's your fault for trying to use it differently than we intended", but rather supporting the product with a different OS. If only the other tech manufacturers were this responsive to the needs of the community.

5. PingCrosby

PingCrosby What's a Dremel?

Bring back the death penalty

6. bowman

bowman Minimodder

It's not really Samsung's fault, it's UEFI. It was supposed to be a step forward in technology and security. Instead, they've abused and twisted it for 'trusted computing'.

It's basically Anakin Skywalker that's become Darth Vader.

azrael- likes this.
  7. Icy EyeG

Icy EyeG Controlled by Eyebrow Powers™

Isn't the title a bit contradictory when compared to the rest of the article? I mean:
    It's clearly on Linux fault and it only happens with a handful of Samsung laptops. It's not that all Samsung laptops were affected.

8. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Clearly Samsungs fault for shipping hardware that could so easily be bricked through software.

9. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

"Samsung Laptops with faulty UEFI killed by Linux"

Seems a more appropriate title.

10. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Does Samsung even bother to test there own laptops, it not like Linux is a unknown OS

11. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

If it's sold as a windows machine, while it's the end users choice to install penguin of any flavour, it's not possible for them to test every permutation. It's not like they sold it as supporting Linux when it didn't - They sold the machines as windows machines, the user wanted something Samsung haven't (reasonably) tested, and it broke.

I think the take away from this is, sure it didn't work, but Samsung didn't fob the user off, and are instead working on a fix.

12. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

I don't see why people think samsung is to blame here. The laptops aren't advertised as supporting linux. If anything samsung should be praised for acknowledging and working to fix the problem. It's just like people don't expect a mac to support every os under the sun.

13. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Actually, the original code was provided by ... Samsung. And if you can fatally damage a board just by executing a code it didn't expect, then it is the failure on the side of the manufacturer. Just imagine a virus doing the same thing as this module does. Mass Samsung laptop suicide.

https://plus.google.com/111049168280159033135/posts/h7FjkQKZHKT

14. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

I thought it would come down to this.

You can kill all kinds of modern electronics by running bad code on them. It's certainly possible to brick most hard disks by sending them the right commands. Anything with firmware - which is effectively everything - can be destroyed in this way.

Much as the bug appears to be Samsung's, I just love the way the Linux people argue about how much they can be bothered to care. At some point in the Launchpad thread for this, someone called Kate Stewart apparently decides that it's "invalid" and of "undecided" importance.

Welcome to Linux! We will destroy your laptop, and then we'll claim it isn't really a problem after all, and we can't even work out whether we care or not.

15. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

So you say it's fine Samsung laptops have a bug which can easily kill your laptop with any OS ? Just because it is Linux where it has been found doesn't mean you won't have a virus later which will try to do exactly this thing.

16. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

There's a difference between a technically unsupported OS and malicious code.

17. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

But i cant find anything on the Samsung web site saying there laptops are only suitable for Windows.

18. The Bodger

The Bodger What's a Dremel?

Personally, I've never understood why computers can't all have a small mechanical switch on them which, if not depressed prevents fundamental BIOS firmware from being altered. This could possibly, for example, act directly on the 'read only' pin of the BIOS memory. It would guarantee that changes which could terminally brick a system were a conscious decision by the user, rather than either a mistake by bad software / drivers or malicious in nature.

As others on the forum have said, bad coding should not be allowed to kill the hardware upon which the OS is running; regardless of whether the OS is supported by the supplier of the computer or not.

19. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

A big minority? I don't think Samsung is to blame, as with most laptop manufacturers it recommends Windows. If loading Win8 bricked it then fair enough, but part of the risk with Linux is that you are relying on an open source community which doesn't provide the same support/warranty as Windows for example.

20. aramil

aramil One does not simply upgrade Forums

I really don't see to much of a difference between this and me running a custom linux os on my andriod tablet and phone.

If it was to brick them (ie kill the hardware) I would not be able to get samsung or any other manufacturer to fix it. They would tell me I loaded a custom OS they did not.

Well done for samsung at least looking to address the issue.

Sent on my CM10 JB powered i9100 by TapaTalk 2