1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The recruit a friend summer comp

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by saspro, 26 Jun 2009.

1. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Here's the deal, we need another 2 million ppd. We've all spent a fortune already on the Chimps Challenge so we need more recruits.
    So time for a comp (as we all like these).

Recruit a friend (or ten) subteam competition.

Starting time: 9am Monday 6th July 2009

Here's what to do before:

Pick a username as a team name (not your own & you'll be the captain) & post it here.
    Get some friends to sign up to folding@home using the team 35947 and a username of your choice.
    Get them to post a hello on this thread stating the username they're signing up to (get some interest on the forums).

At the start time we'll post the starting scores here and it'll be a race to score the most points possible in 14 days. (9am 20th July 2009)

If we can get stats I will but I'll need help with that.

Sound good?

2. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

erm mr saspro sir...

thats kinda what iv'e done with my username lol

have 3 mates in a little team Votick:)
    Can we still use our team name?
    like wen it starts count the points onwards from that?

:)

3. phoenicis

phoenicis Retired Chimp

Great post saspro, I wonder what made you think of this :D Just shows how serious you are, and the rest of us ought to be, about keeping the CC momentum going and stopping the impending EVGA overtake.

Will support any initiative to that end. Some random thoughts to throw in to the mix are:

1. We should maybe allow the new recruits to fold under their own username as that's often what gets the bug to bite.
    2. We have a large pool of untapped resource within the bit-tech forums and we would need James et al to advertise any competition to the wider audience and the magazine. There have only been about 3 dozen views of this post, which just shows how limited we are in being able to reach people after the move.
    3. With that in mind I think we might want to consider providing some incentive in the form of hardware and points prizes for contestants and the recruiters respectively. I've got two PNY 8800GTs (booby prize maybe), a GTX260 and an AMD 7750 chip I'd be willing to put up (all used) and I might be able to find more. I'd also be willing to donate some points (with a suitable force majeure caveat).
    So to pull all that together into a slightly more coherent thought, perhaps we could ask the new recruits to fold over 100K under their own username over the span of a month (one GPU or quad core folding 24/7 should do it) with anyone achieving the target being entered into the prize draw for hardware. Any recruiter mentioned in the new folder's post could be entered into the draw for the points.

Depending on the number and quality of prizes we could have more than one level with the top level having better goodies but with 250K as the target.

I realise that not all entrants will be in it for the right reason but even if only half stuck around it will be a great thing for the team and, more importantly, the cause.

Everyone should feel free to throw tomatoes at this point. I've got a thick skin <most of the time> :worried:

Last edited: 27 Jun 2009
  4. saspro

saspro IT monkey

I like point 1, my rules were created in about 3 mins so need some tweaking.

Point 3 might prove a sore point on these forums (but I'll take free hardware if you want :D)

Apart from that I like your rules better.

Any one else?

5. phoenicis

phoenicis Retired Chimp

Thanks saspro. I'd love to supply you the kit but I might struggle convincing my ebay crazy other half that you were the charitable cause I was talking about ;)

I wouldn't have thought point 3 was controversial if it was a member donation for the good of the whole membership and any participant that achieved the targets had an equal chance of winning. The previous problem, as I understood it, was that the donor was a corporate sponsor who stood to benefit from the donation, that it wasn't offered to all participants and it was not only hardware but cash that was offered. I agreed with the principles of the original objections but don't think what I proposed falls foul of any of those issues and I think we've got to stop walking on eggshells regarding this subject.

I think we might struggle to spark enough interest for everybody to exceed the target amount and get hooked in the process unless we have a random winner scenario.

Still, willing to go with the flow.

As sas said, anyone else?

6. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Sounds good to me. Point 3 is a grey area really, it's hard to know where the line is between offering incentives or prizes and outright bribing people to donate points to 35947. I think I speak for us all when I say that OCN got it completely wrong in the CC this year, but I'm not sure where to stand on this occasion.

I'll create a team if you like, and if I am allowed that is. Myself and a friend of mine (dcservices) will try and get some more people onboard and get a small team going.

EDIT: I didn't read your post phoenicis;

I am in complete agreement on this.

7. phoenicis

phoenicis Retired Chimp

I don't blame you mate, I can be a little long winded.

I was beginning to think I'd entered some sort of alternate reality (too much Star Trek) where nobody wanted you to give stuff away for free.

Anyone else?

8. Unicorn

No it's just that I've been in a rush all day and read every other post except yours to save time, then came back to it and read it the second time around! You can't possibly write as many long posts as me, I'm hopeless at short posts/ replies :rolleyes:

9. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

CPC has a random draw for anyone who contributes just one unit in a given month, prize of a graphics card. Folding under their own name. Any idea of how many people this encourages?

100K is a great deal harder to get. I suspect people with the wherewithall to get that many points will not be swayed by the sort of prizes offered.

Imagine a teenager who games and does homework on a PC, but doesn't leave it on permanently. This person could go for a grahics card as a prize. What level of target would be suitable for them?

10. Unicorn

My first dedicated rig churned out 8K PPD religiously, and consisted of two GF 8xxx cards and a C2D chip fairly finely tuned and heavily overclocked. That would be your average teenagers one or two year old gaming PC these days (Unless they have access to much more money and have bought one off me in the past :D), and would take about 13 days to compelte 100,000 points. 100K seems fair to me as long as they're not running silly low specs and standard CPU clients.

11. Votick

Im a teenager :)

AMD Athlon 4800+ 2.59GHZ
    Nvidia Geforce 8600GT
    4GB RAM (Most of my friends only have 2GB)

Most of my teenage friends play on similar hardware too.

Yes the monthly draw is very good
    but arn't we still give away that old Mid range ATI card, whcih aparently isn' very good for folding anyway?
    Im sure my 8600GT beats the pants off it.
    As it plays games and folds better than my friends pc who has that card.

12. Christopher N. Lew

EVGA also give away 'prizes'. http://www.evga.com/folding/promo.asp

Points per 'folding year'
    1,000,000: 60 EVGA Bucks
    500,000: 30 EVGA Bucks
    100,000: 10 EVGA Bucks

Previously "10% Off B-Stock Products For Current EVGA Folders!"

Previously "Winners were chosen by the following criteria: Active folder within the last 30 days, 10,000 points or more, chosen at random. Congratulations to all of our winners!"

Prizes included GTX285 cards

Can we compete with this?

Can we compete with the corporate brand recognition? - surely everyone considering folding has heard of EVGA and may well gravitate there.

(in a low mood)
    Christopher

13. Votick

I was going to swap teams over to EVGA.
    In the end I decied I CBA to swap the clients over.
    The forums here are so help full and everyone is pretty much damn AWESOME :)

Alo I do like there forums and in the way it's layed out.
    Like the sigs showing System specs.
    They have a folding adodn which show some folding information.

I wish we could include them on our forum.
    there both running VB.

EDIT:

Im geting confused with team Overclock.

http://www.overclock.net/overclock-...0717-congratulations-valicious-4-million.html

I think the way a teams forums are layed out helps too.
    Look at that forum.
    They have little f@h pop ups :p http://www.overclock.net/fah.popup.php?id=52320

They f@h sigs like Chimp Challenge and 1 mill folder :p

I think having a better folding forum set up would get more people folding for us.

It's a bit like buying a car realy.

You know that the focus over there will suite you fine and will run for many years.
    But you will still want that Aston martin :)

I respect that the bit-tech staff want to keep the forums clean.
    But i think some features should be added.

Where not all 10yr old boys who think it's cool to post a 1247X1080px picture in our sigs. lol

Anyway back to the sign up...

Short awnser.. No we can't compeat again EVGA on the prizes side.
    that would cost us alot of money.
    And for EVGA its a couple of quid loss.

I think the best qualities about are team is the comunity.
    I mean I haven't been hear long but already I know Uni, Sasparo, Christopher N. Lewis and many more.
    And if i Join EVGA I wouldnt know as many people as I know here.

but anyway I'm sure you guys will come up with somthing :)

Last edited: 28 Jun 2009
  14. phoenicis

phoenicis Retired Chimp

Why so down Christopher?

• Post CC blues?
    • The feeling that we won't be able to stop EVGA?
    • The prospect that any successful team will require corporate sponsorship going forward?
    • Had a skin full last night and not even the hair of the dog seems to be helping with the hangover?
    • All of the above?

15. Unicorn

Dr phoenicis is in the house.

It doesn't really matter whether we can compete with EVGA on prizes or not, you're all clearly forgetting how our small team made a mighty contribution in the CC this year, and if we can drum up that sort of dedication from new members, it doesn't matter if EVGA can offer better prizes, we can offer better points ;)

16. Vince_Kinslow

Vince_Kinslow Folding Millionaire

Dont forget me chap :lol:

17. JackOfAll

JackOfAll What's a Dremel?

Smoking crack can seriously damage your health, Matt! ;)

Christopher - one thing to bear in mind with EVGA is that it is US centric. eg. getting the 10% 'folding' discount on B-Stock via their web shop is not possible if you live outside the US & Canada. Likewise for the bucks promotion. Can only be redeemed at their web shop and you cannot place an order if delivery address is outside the US or Canada.

18. phoenicis

phoenicis Retired Chimp

As a Doctor, I'd have to concur :D

19. Christopher N. Lew

None of the above

20. phoenicis

phoenicis Retired Chimp

In which case I'll mmob and apologise for asking:blush: Hope matters improve for you CNL.