1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Will the PS3 see a price drop?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 6 Jul 2007.

1. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

2. Bursar

Bursar What's a Dremel?

Maybe not...

3. Orgat

Orgat What's a Dremel?

They're obliged to deny it until it's ready to go, otherwise they'd stall sales in the meantime.

Without a 360 price drop, the 360 would be far more expensive. Forgetting the HD-DVD drive, once you add in just a Live subscription and a charging cable, you're already close to the PS3's price - but with a smaller hard disk and no blu-ray player. It'd be only $20 more than the 360 Elite also.

But I think 360 has to price drop now also at least if MS wants to be aggressive.

4. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

dont forget adding the wireless adaptor too. Well its been on sale in the UK in places for as low as £350 so if there is an official price drop then maybe the RRP will be around £350 and then the odd retailer thats already selling it below the RRP it could be aroun £300, but then who knows.

Isnt this just how rumours start and then get out of hand and people believe it to be gospel

Last edited: 6 Jul 2007
  5. Orgat

Orgat What's a Dremel?

Didn't want to include the wifi, because for some people it won't matter. If you want it though, yeah, it adds a lot to the 360's cost.

It's possible this won't be happening, but that's fairly unlikely now I think. There's another leak out of canadian retailer showing the price also being reduced there to $549, or the same price as the Elite. A bit coincidental.

6. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

When you factor in everything the PS3 offers and try compare the 360 to it, the price of the PS3 is the cheapest at $499. Of course, you have to have the money to utilize everything the PS3 offers, but atleast it offers it and you know you're pretty much futureproofed for a good 3+ years. The 360 is a great piece of kit and with Halo 3 on it's way it'll probably be more enticing to buy, but with the way the 360's been failing lately and how M$ hasn't really done anything to target the problem directly in their currently manufactured consoles (other than adding a 3 year warranty for one specific problem), I wouldn't want the headache, so I'd probably get the PS3 if the price dropped $100 AND they come back on their promise(s) on Playstation Home and all of these "180 games" that are supposed to debut by Xmas.

7. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

I'm going to say these price drops won't happen, at least not this early or by the amount rumoured. It certainly won't help recuperate the investment in the Cell broadband engine since there is still no software incentive to buy it despite such a price drop--no one will still buy it.

8. rupbert

rupbert What's a Dremel?

The Xbox 360 Premium will be dropped to £199, with an anouncment at E3.

Heard it here first ;)

9. devdevil85

M$ expected to make profit on the 360 by the year 2020...you heard it here first! (but who cares about that? Better for us right?)

10. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

MS are already making a profit selling the console.

11. identikit

identikit Minimodder

What like the $1b they just spent right?

12. devdevil85

First off, show me a link that prooves that statement, secondly just like identikit said, they just spent $1 billion (which will affect how much actual money they made/are making off of the console) and thirdly, this doesn't help either http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/32781/98/.

Also, if M$ is making money on the 360, then, once the PS3 drops, they will also have to drop their price and that will also hurt that "trend" of profitability. Console manufacturers shouldn't be making money on their consoles until 4-5 years later. It's an investment that takes an upfront loss, so I'm more angry that M$ IS making money on their console already, rather than taking more cost off of the consumer because I still think the 360 is too expensive for what it is, especially the games at $54.99.

13. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i show to you a link to prooove my statement, from a news from 21st Nov 2006 from www.bit-tech.net.

$1 billion is pocket money for a company like MS when you think about the money they are getting from live, games and the console it self.

edit and other sources of income. :p

14. devdevil85

First off, if they are making money then why haven't they dropped the price of the 360 yet? and that was 9 months ago....Secondly, do you actually believe that those are actual figures of what those consoles cost? Those are hardball estimates and I would believe it more if the source of this information was from the actual manufacturer(s). Lastly, why would M$, Sony or even Nintendo want anyone to know exactly how much profit they were making off of you? (That information has to be strictly confidential, or atleast I would assume that) Either way, it doesn't matter who is making profit, it's who is offering the best console at the most affordable price and if M$ is making profit off its console this early on then it is we the consumers that are getting ripped off because games are outrageously expensive and games should be what makes a console manufacturer profit because games should be what dictates a console's acceptance/profitability in the marketplace, don't you agree?

15. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i do agree, i would hope that MS would modify its console so it would be more efficient, have more useful functions and fail less.
    if you notice those numbers are quoted as estimates..... 9 months ago, meaning that if at the time they were not realistic, they are more realistic now.

16. devdevil85

Like I said above, I would rather a console manufacturer make its profit through the sale of its games rather than through the console itself because the whole idea of why we buy consoles in the first place is to play games, but as you can see that's not how it works and because I know M$ could drop their prices at a moment's notice, but aren't, is another reason why I will not purchase a 360 until it has justified its pricetag, not just through its hardware, but through its media as well.

17. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

and rate of failure decreases i hope.

18. Bladestorm

Bladestorm What's a Dremel?

One version of the rumour I heard was that sony were going to charge $100 less for the PS3 for a week to coincide with some big show (or possibly just at the show) but the normal price was going to remain the same.

presumably to induce a bit of publicity without inducing much more anger from shareholders.

19. identikit

identikit Minimodder

Why would shareholders be angry at a price drop? Unit sales is a big thing, if I had shares in Sony I'd want the PS3 to drop in price. It makes sense from a market viewpoint.

20. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

If I was shareholder I would be mad at a pricedrop that is being hyped by media outlets but not actually reported as true by Sony. I think as good as a price drop will be, the media is hurting sales of the PS3 with the continuous speculation. I just caught an iTWire article titled as if Sony has confirmed a Pricedrop of $100, but then goes on to speculate within the article itself. Pretty misleading if you ask me when media outlets use that kind of tactic. Until Sony confirms a pricedrop it would be nice of the media drops the issue, because as long as they keep "speculating" over and over on one people will start to believe it, and when Sony doesn't deliver on a promise never made, people will find one more reason to be angry at Sony for lying to costumers (or something to that nature).

Tags: Add Tags