1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What colour shirt/tie should I wear with a dark grey suit?

Discussion in 'General' started by vodkas666, 18 Dec 2011.

1. vodkas666

vodkas666 What's a Dremel?

The suit I have is a dark grey, the second shade from the left in the following scale;

[​IMG]

I have a couple of interviews coming up and struggling to decide what combinations would go with it? I'm quite a small chap with a sizable belly and thighs if that limits the choices further.

I have everything else for the interviews practiced and rehearsed but forgot about the suit. It may seem I being over pedantic but I really don't have anything to fall back onto if unemployed after uni so any help would be great (as would 20k to train as a science teacher :rolleyes: ). Many Thanks.

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

The convention is white or light blue shirt, or a vertical pinstriped combination of both colours.

With white shirt, wear a colour tie that complements the grey in the suit (e.g. pale purple). With light blue or striped shirt wear a colour tie that contrasts with the light blue (e.g. a red pattern).

Don't wear a black tie --you are neither a bouncer nor an undertaker. Don't wear a whit tie --you are not a lounge singer. Don't wear a tie that is just one, flat colour; pick a pattern, but avoid stripes if your shirt is striped. Don't wear a thick woolen tie, but a silk one. Since you are portly, wear a tie that is not too wide, since that is like a big bright arrow pointing to your belly. Don't wear a bow tie either --it may make you look choked at the neck, and nd it only looks cool on Dr. Who.

vodkas666 likes this.
  3. improprietary

improprietary FT03 is a bitch to watercool

4. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

Pink goes well with grey.

I like pink on men it says "yea, that's right I can do pink!"

5. t4n6o

t4n6o You know when you've been tangoed

notoin carried for the pink

6. yassarikhan786

yassarikhan786 Ultramodder(Not)

I usually wear a yellowish colour. Not the super bright yellow though.

7. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

8. bodkin

bodkin Overheating

Never trust a man with a shirt darker than his tie. At least thats what my dad always says!

9. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Black shirt and black tie?

10. Nexxo

11. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Pale blue or pinstriped is probably the best suggestion with a dark die. :thumb:

As for pink shirts/t-shirts/polo shirts/sweaters etc. No, just no. It does not say 'Yeah, that's right, I can do pink.' All it says is 'Yeah, that's right, I'm trying to give the impression that I'm manly and comfortable with my sexuality enough to do pink, but in reality I'm just trying that little bit too hard and secretly dream about going dogging with a rugby team.'

EDIT: Actually that sounds a little harsh and is predominantly in reference to your typical idiotic types you see out of a weekend evening thinking they're cool because of wearing pink.....................Those and my area manager........

Last edited: 18 Dec 2011
  12. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

As a larger gentleman (and if you ask what goes with what, you're a true gentleman and not an ass,) pay attention to the knot you tie as well. http://www.atailoredsuit.com/match-tie-knot-shirt-collar-style.html It'll tell the person looking at you that you pay attention to the little things, as well as help shape up your figure. Everyone wins.

vodkas666 likes this.
  13. vodkas666

vodkas666 What's a Dremel?

Thanks for all the replies guys, a great help all round. Going with a simple plain white shirt and striped shaded purple tie.

:thumb: great link thanks, +rep for you sir

If I could have pulled pink off I would do, however it just screams "I want to take you to a gay bar"

Good point about the tie knot, +rep for you too. Doing the standard half windsor knot, mainly cause that goes best with the shirt.

14. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Are University ties really NOT to be worn? School pride and back up the CV?

john

15. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

some ties just scream you want buttsecks.. those are the ties I wear

something like this would look good I suppose
    [​IMG]

or something like this.. go good with a grey suit..

[​IMG]

Last edited: 19 Dec 2011
  16. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

17. Nexxo

^^^ Win. :p

Ostentatious. Anyone can buy a university tie. Someone who has a degree puts it on his CV where it belongs --he doesn't need to advertise.

18. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Definitely not pink, as soon as I see a pink tie I think 'all talk, no ability' and it's often strangely been true of the candidate.

Red tie.

19. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Never trust a man wearing a pink shirt

Never *ever* trust a man wearing a floral shirt

Shoot anyone wearing a hawaiian shirt

as someone who looks like they've been dragged through a ditch backwards and on fire whatever style of suit I wear i'm just gonna say *shrug*

also... check beforehand if there's a dress code, no point turning up in a suit when everyone else is in jeans/t-shirt or shirt/trousers [essentially a suit but w/out the jacket and sometimes without the tie]...

20. Fuganater

Fuganater What's a Dremel?

What level job is this for? We talking a 50k+ a year job or 20-49k? Also how old are you?

Shirt - White

Tie - 6/7th gray from the left + any color. Striped or Checkard will be good. Never do a solid tie with a solid shirt. The color (should be darker like red or dark blue) should be the main component of the tie. The gray is the accent to provide a medium between the shirt and suit.

I worked at Macy's for a few years in Men's Furnishings so I got you covered :thumb: