1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Nvidia 3D Vision Surround

Discussion in 'Software' started by Teelzebub, 30 Jun 2010.

1. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

I was reading this and thought it may be of interest to some.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yesterday, NVIDIA has released GeForce Beta v258.69 drivers which brings 3D Vision Surround and NVIDIA Surround to the market. The 3D Vision Surround is an unique feature where it offers stereoscopic 3D across 3 displays.

To get it to work it would require Two GeForce 260 and above running in SLI configuration (which of course means that you would need a motherboard that supports SLI unless you are using GTX 295), and 2 GB of system memory. Three identical monitors with the same resolution, refresh rate, and sync poliarity. This ensures the monitors will operate without any synchronization issue. Currently, only Windows 7 is supported and 3-way SLI only is only supported for the GTX 400 series cards but NVIDIA plans offer 3-way SLI in the future driver release for the GTX 200 series cards (current driver will run 2-way SLI for GTX 200s). The current 3D Vision Surround cannot works in portrait mode due to the display and the 3D goggles have polarizing filters that will not work under portrait mode.

For users who may not wish to spend money on 3 identical monitor to enjoy the 3D experience with multiple display, NVIDIA Surround is the solution where it will support multiple displays (3 to be exact) without the 3D experience.

While NVIDIA is behind AMD bringing multiple display gaming experience to the market (AMD has Eyefinity with the HD 5000 series card for a few month already), it certainly is a step ahead of the competitor with the 3D gaming and multiple display. It will be interesting to see when will AMD going to bring such technology to the market.

2. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

Ok, here's what I don't understand about the nVidia solution.

The costs!

For the full 3d version, it would be:

3x 1080p 3d monitors: £280 x 3 = £840

Graphics cards to power a resolution of 5760x1080 in 3d (which has roughly a 40% fps drop): 2x GTX470 at least, preferably 480s: £620/£800

Total cost: £1460/£1640

That's insane!

3. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

I'll be quite pleased to have 3d on the one monitor but to also have the option of 3 screens in 2d.

sadly the requirement for 2 4xx cards puts me off... if a gx2 card comes out with 3 ports I might be interested though.

4. Teelzebub

Yeah I dont think I will be rushing out to buy 3 new monitors even though I do have the GPU's for it although it does say two 260's will do it.

But a triple monitor 3D is a interesting idear, I've played a few games in stereoscopic 3D and tbh I'm not that keen.

5. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

The Nvidia demo was cool, with the logo flying right out of the screen but the games i've tried the effect has been pretty naff.

I think a game has to be made with 3d in mind, so that particular events would have stuff flying out of the screen, like movies are made for 3d.

Again its a new technology and its not enough to just convert old 2d games to 3d.

6. ripmax

ripmax Minimodder

Things do pop-out the screen in some a decent number of games, it can just take a bit to set up the depth + coverage do you get good depth + pop-out.

7. Teelzebub

I've played Batman / Fallout 3 / Assasins creed 2 but the best in 3d was Prototype I thought, Although assasins creed wasn't too bad.

8. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

just cause 2 is aparently very good, havent tried it personally though.

MWII looked great to me - but a bit eyestrainy