1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Sort of worklog: Refurbishing my workshop + paint "cabin" ( Completed )

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Luciel, 15 Feb 2012.

1. Luciel

Luciel Needs more rust

Hi Guys,

I figured some of you would get a kick out of this. Anyhow let me explain. This "Workshop" which is actually a re-modelled garage, was intentionally done to store stuff from when I closed down the pc shop I used to run. A year or so later I used it for my first worklog (The Acid Burn project in my sig) and since I´ve been using it for all of my other 5 worklogs I´ve done. Problem with it is I kept storing stuff in it, taking stuff away, storing stuff in it, etc, and no matter how tidy I tried to keep it it just kept getting cluttered, not to mention filthy. Of course buying a compressor and paint guns aside from my spraycans, being acrylic paint, makes a real mess, this is because while it doesn´t stain other stuff, it leaves a thin coat of paint dust all over the place. Goes without saying this is neither practical nor healthy!!!

As some of you may know, in 2011 I´ve done a series of projects, I like to think each better than the previous one which have gotten me a lot of attention and in to the world of sponsorship and I do feel ashamed taking pictures in this messy workshop considering brands have trusted me with their products to give them a good name.

This added to the fact I will be starting my best project by far to the date at the end of this month (certain planets have to align togueter and a lot of emails have to be sent and replied for everything to come in time). I´ve decided to rent some storage space locally to store all the non-computer related stufff in it and leave this workshop precisely for that, workshop-y-stuff, I will still be storing all computer related stuff in it though of course.

Added to that I will be moving everything around to leave a third of it (the back part of it) completely clear and will be "building" a "paint-booth/cabin" out of wood and plastic sheeting.

So thought it´d be fun to keep a log of this.

This is the state it´s in:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Right and 2 hours later, I´ve taken all the stuff that´s going to the storage place out and thrown away a ton of stuff, boxes and the like.

And I´ve ran out of camera battery... typical, had enough to take one pick of the sorted shelves on the left.

[​IMG]

Had enough for today though, this cold is killing me, will post more tomorrow as I get along with it : )

////

Right so almost through this awfull cold so I felt well enough to do some more today. Got round to clearing the last bench off stuff and removing it as that area will be part of the paint cabin:

[​IMG]

And cleaned the area up:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got rid of a ton of more stuff, and yet the place still looks full, granted not as much as it did before:

[​IMG]

And finished organizing all the spare hardware and accesories I had laying about:

[​IMG]

////

Right, sorry for the delay guys, got a new job for the last 4 weeks and its been hectic trying to adjust to the new timetable, but it seems my body has finally catched up and dont feel like going straight to bed after work : )

So in the last few days I´ve gotten everything sorted and cleaned! and cleared the area that´s going to be the paint-cabin and should be going tomorrow after work to buy the materials.

It is now an urgent matter as well since a lot of products have arrived from sponsors for one tutorial project and my main new epic project.

So without further wait, here´s the current state:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 20 Feb 2012
  2. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Wow, how good does that look and how good does it feel. You can even see the floor now..lol

3. Luciel

Luciel Needs more rust

I know lol, it does feel quite rewarding, should be getting the materials to set up the "paint cabin" today, so more updates to come : )

4. Vetalar

Vetalar *learning english*

man! You need more shelves and shoe boxes :) it's a shame when MoBo boxes and GFX boxes are on the same shelf :D
    but i'll never show this pix to wife 'cause she'll kill me for my 'mess' :).

5. J3!!3

J3!!3 What's a Dremel?

Damn i need a space like that. All i have is my bedroom, realy tiny house lol. I hope you will keep it clean this time around. Looks great.

6. Luciel

Luciel Needs more rust

Will sure try to! :D and yes I did think of more shelving but there´s only so much room :S

7. alain-s

alain-s Minimodder

make a basement ? under it ^^

8. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

The cleaning alone made a huge difference.. Also looking forward to seeing the paint booth, as one of those would be damn handy.

Anyway I don't think this belongs in project logs, stuff like this usually takes place in the General.

9. Luciel

Luciel Needs more rust

True I did think about that after posting it :S unfortunately I can´t do a basement as I´d need a building permission and I dont have that kind of money lol. Still i think its more than enough space as it is. The paint cabin is being done with simple materials, doesnt cost much so maybe it will give you ideas if you want to make your own on the cheap side of things : )

10. amagriva

amagriva Minimodder

where is computer modding?

11. Luciel

Luciel Needs more rust

Which is why Jipa mentioned wrong section Amagriva :^P the computer modding comes after this, next week lol,but if you look around in the pictures you might spot some of my previous projects xD

12. Vetalar

Vetalar *learning english*

as creating of paintbox(=modding) still coming - better go to modding section, no projects.
    and no not to general as i only watch modding and projects sections of forum :p
    and about paintbox - i can't see any vents in this 'lab'. painting materials (primers, paints etc.) are pretty toxic and recomended to use at good ventilated room. just my $0.02

13. Luciel

Luciel Needs more rust

In deed, hopefully a mod can move the thread : )

Oh and no worries, the workshop is a remodelled garage, the 4th wall is essentially a garage door, so no problem with ventilation

14. kinghong1970

kinghong1970 Just a Clumsy Ape

wow... i see floor!

hahaha... good work on your shop!

15. Luciel

Luciel Needs more rust

haha cheers! :D

16. Luciel

Luciel Needs more rust

Right so, quick update, all the final "furniture" has been put in to place, the main desk I got for a tenner as, despite it´s looks, it aint in great shape, I will still however cover it in plastic each painting session, not so much to preserve it, but rather to always have a clean surface to paint on. The shelving units cost me a fiver each, again, quite old, but suit my needs, they will be used to place painted parts on to dry.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And for those of you worried about ventilation, in case I haven´t mentioned it yet, the whole workshop is a refurbished garage, so pretty much the whole forth wall is a door, which allows for plenty ventilation.

[​IMG]

As you may also see in some of the picks, I´ve bought the heavy duty plastic sheeting and will be setting the whole "cabin" up tomorrow.

17. Luciel

Luciel Needs more rust

After 4 hours this morning... i´ve finished the paint "cabin", and put everything related to it in place. I did it by drilling 4 holes, 2 on each side, mounting hooks in them, passing a wire through all of it and attaching it to the plastic sheets, then stapling them all togueter to create a closed environment aside from the one aperture (to get in an out obviously). Total cost: 24€ (almost all of it was the heavy duty plastic sheeting. Area covered: 4x2 meters.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I´ve still got a ton of stuff to sort out and put back in to the workplace, hopefully will do it tomorrow and post the final pictures.

Thanks for watching!

18. kinghong1970

kinghong1970 Just a Clumsy Ape

Luciel,

why not put the paint cabin near the door so you can vent the fumes out using a cheap box fan?

looks good, i have a similar setup in my garage, i used velcro tapes so i can pull out the screen...

19. Luciel

Luciel Needs more rust

I did originally think of it kinhong, there where 2 problems though, I couldnt do it all the way up as it would be in the way of the door opening. Even if that wasnt an issue, I´d still waste space, allow room for the door´s mechanical bits, that do not bother the current setup (desk on one side, shelve on the other as they are not in front of them. And even if all that wasnt a paint, I would´ve had to shift a lot of stuff down just for that.

But yeah thanks : )

What do you mean with pull out the screen?

20. Luciel

Luciel Needs more rust

Right, everything is now back in the workshop, I need to sort out some of the bigger boxes, but no biggie, cables, adapters, stuff like that. These are now the final pictures and I consider the "project" done, thanks for reading! : )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]