1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Hooking PC up to TV

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Tripwires, 19 Jun 2012.

1. Tripwires

Tripwires What's a Dremel?

Hi guys and girls,

I would appreciate some advice from those on the forum who have already done this.

Basically I want to hook my PC up to my TV via HDMI. I want the sound and picture to come out of the TV only (I.e, it will be the main monitor and speakers)

I want to do this so I can surf the web with a wireless keyboard/mouse from my couch.

But the main thing I am concerned about before I go ahead and buy a decent 5m HDMI cable, is making it so it's easy to switch between just using my monitor, and just using my TV, without unplugging cables.

I have a gtx 560 ti. (Monitor is DVI)

Is this easy to do? I believe it may be possible via the Nvidia control panel? I just don't want to have to unplug the TV whenever I want to sit at my desk and just use the PC monitor and PC speakers again...

Thanks!!!:thumb:

2. TraumaticHug

TraumaticHug What's a Dremel?

Are you running Win 7? If so, hold down the Windows key and press P.

3. Kraemer

Kraemer What's a Dremel?

Well I have my laptop hooked up to my TV via HDMI and I just have my settings set so that when I shut my screen it doesn't turn off (I know not the same scenario). But if it just singles out your TV or Monitor I am sure that if your on the TV and want to go to your monitor you can just find it in the options. Or what the dude above my post said. Otherwise just keep it on both and shut off your monitor and turn it on when you want to use it?

Edit: I don't know how it would work for the sound. I never go back to the laptop screen only since my sound goes to my surround sound.

4. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

For audio you'll want to set the nvidia audio hdmi as default. When the tv is off it will fall back to your onboard/soundcard without having to do anything else.

5. Tripwires

Awesome thanks guys! yes I am running windows 7.

Now just gotta measure a piece of string to make sure a 5m HDMI cable will be long enough...:D

6. short1uk

short1uk Minimodder

I got a 5m hdmi from scan for about a fiver and its great. Use it for the Xbox and also my ipad when i wanna connect it to the TV?

7. Tripwires

Hi short1uk, would you mind linking me? I was expecting to have to pay at least £15

To be honest, HDMI cables confuse me; because they are digital, don't they either work or not work, rather than being good or bad quality picture like an analogue VGA cable?

I've heard that very cheap ones refuse to work with 1080p; but my TV is 1080i anyways.

8. short1uk

short1uk Minimodder

9. short1uk

short1uk Minimodder

Mines 1080p and works fine :0)

10. Tripwires

Thanks very much short1uk, will look into this :)

Rep added for everyone :)

11. munkey

munkey What's a Dremel?

All HDMI cables should be able to support up to 1080p at least. While there is quite a price gap between the cheap and the "best" ones however most reviews have found that even the ultra cheap cables that can be had from amazon perform just as well as a $100+ Monster.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2385272,00.asp

Tripwires likes this.
  12. Tripwires

Very interesting, thanks :thumb: