1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Bohemia's Arma 3 becomes a Steam exclusive

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 22 Feb 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

It's still available by retail, it just requires you to install steam.

As BF3 required you to install EA's equivalent...
    as Assassins Creed required you to install Ubisofts...

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Wouldn't it be nice if people actually read the articles on which they comment? Ah, I can but dream of such a world... :p

4. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Modder

I'm guessing he's referring to the title which could be misleading, it's not really Steam exclusive if I can buy it from Tesco.

5. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Unless you actually want, you know... play it!

6. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

yes but its likely to be a steam client and code in a box - as gareth has said ; ergo its a steam exclusive

7. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Modder

Meh, if it was Steam exclusive then I wouldn't be able to buy it anywhere else.

It's a Steamworks title.

8. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

why dont you contact the company - since they made this announcement:

and tell them , they are in fact grammatically wrong and thats you , as a forum user know better....

9. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

Games uses Steam!

Shock!

Horror!

What is this 'Steam' that everyone is talking about?

How will it work? How much will it cost? What are the system specs?!?!?!

If anyone else has information on this 'Steam' then please post! Can I buy Steam at Tescos too?!?!?!

Will there be other games on this 'Steam' of which you speak?

10. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Modder

Lol, calm down bro, I've got an opinion so I'm sharing it.

So what you are saying is every time a company makes an announcement, it is always 100% factually and grammatically correct? That's what it sounds like you are saying.

11. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

Don't post articles with sensationalist titles then have a pop at forum users then.

As CrazyJoe said - it's a Steamworks title. That's it.

Last edited: 22 Feb 2013
    CrazyJoe likes this.
  12. sub routine

sub routine Archie Gemel

oh the joys of the internet >.>

13. DrTiCool

DrTiCool Minimodder

will it work under Steam linux as well?

14. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

sorry i came across like an ass didnt i - the company said `steam exclusive` by the owner

15. CowBlazed

CowBlazed What's a Dremel?

Just waiting for that 1 person who has to come in and say how much they hate steam, and that it's just like every other DRM.

I will pre empt that with get over it, Steam has made PC gaming what it is today and is a valuable service.

16. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

Doesnt bother me to be honest, I like steam, have been using it for years, its like a catalog of my games that I can take with me from computer to computer to new homes, and even sneakily install it on my work laptop.

I honestly don't mind Origin either. I love BF3 and I rarely have issues with origin. It is just natural change. We all know people done like change, but we only ever see it in old people who try new stuff and hate it. Well news for you, you are now getting old if you dont like the change in digital distribution.

Doubt I will play arma3, the only reason I would be interested is because of DayZ2, but I understand they are making it standalone using the arma3 engine now.

17. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

As I see it, it is a Steam-exclusive aslong as I'm required to install and run the Steam-client to play the game.

I purchased BL2 and installed Steam to play it, but I'll never play any game again that uses Steam. Steam continually f*cked up during the three month I played BL2.

18. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

1 click updates would be nice for a change.

19. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Better integration with shift-tab menu and Steam friends list by going Steamworks? Fine by me. Even though DayZ will be standalone it's gotten me interested in Arma 3 after being a bit late to the Arma 2 party.
    It's sort of a non-issue but I can't resist pitching in that I agree. Its sale isn't exclusive to Steam, the article itself even says this. It would have been much clearer to have the title read that the game either requires Steam, or is a Steamworks game.

20. MrJim

MrJim What's a Dremel?

Okay, I'll bite ;) I like Steam in many ways, with two notable exceptions: firstly, the high cost of some games relative to other retailers. I get that developers want to encourage multiple retailer channels, but when a digital download is three times the price (e.g. Killing Floor), what's the point?

Secondly, it's annoying that I can't sell games that I no longer play on Steam. In the old days, selling an old game was a handy way to pay for new games, but these days I just wait until the prices come down to a reasonable level (again, Killing Floor...£4.99 if you shop around).

Other than that, Steam is great :)