1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs The games I'd like to unplay

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 13 Dec 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

I'd like to unplay Brink...or, rather, I'd like to have actually been able to play Brink - but my £35 (and the final nail in the coffin for "Game") didn't actually get me a playable game because of game breaking audio problems. I'd have liked a refund too...but once linked to your Steam account that becomes somewhat problematic.

I'd also like to be able to unplay Rainbow 6 Vegas 2, because my fond memories of the original Rainbow 6 were permanently tarnished by the piss-poor console port that is R6V2. Same goes for Far Cry 2.

3. dr-strangelove

dr-strangelove What's a Dremel?

I'd love to unplay Portal - just so I could experience that 6 hour frenzy that was my first time playing it over again

4. asura

asura jack of all trades

Mission Humanity.

Don't think there's any need to go further.

5. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I'd unplay all of the Bethesda RPGs and replay all of them apart from Fallout: New Vegas - the game completely broke for me about half way through, far enough to not want to repeat the first half, not far enough to feel like I'd had enough out of it.

I'll throw Dragon Age II in there as well, probably my favourite recent-ish game, but isn't terribly re-playable after two times through.

6. biojellywobbles

biojellywobbles Minimodder

I'd like to unplay Fable 3 (I know, I know, its on a console) It completely ruined the franchise for me. I loved playing fable 1 and Fable 2 added a bit more even if it got rid of some of the more RPG like aspects. Fable 3 offered no way to truly customise the way you played the game due to the very linear way of upgrading skills. It also had very few decent side quests and didn't make me chuckle once, unlike the first one.

7. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Medal of Honour Warfighter was rather abysmal. The mechanics of the multiplayer were good fun and the "fireteam buddy" system was very useful. However, it failed in so many other aspects. Horribly cluttered UI, not making good use of the Frostbite 2 engine, especially since the team sizes were limited. Could have been so much more, sadly it is just a generic shooter.

I'm part of the other marmite crowd regarding Brink, I absolutely loved it. The mechanics were fantastic and the concept was quite well executed. It wasn't without it's unfortunate glaring flaws, but I think it was bold enough to try something new.
    For those that say the SMART system was pants, I say you didn't use it enough. Once you really got to grips with it, it was immensely fun. The level design needed some work, but overall the game really was a marmite affair. Oh well, I'd still like to see the concept/world expanded upon.

8. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

I have a BF 2 moment too, specifically, the first time I moved in on a flag as part of a group. Moving a long, using a tank as cover, so far so like 1942. Gap in the wall, perfect spot for a ClaymoBANG!

Blurred vision, all the sounds gone out and there's this ringing noise. I completely forget what I'm doing and dive against the wall. What the hell was that? Surely the tank must be in pieces all over the map?

Nope, the tank's just fired it's gun. Welcome to Karkand noob.

If I could unplay 40k: Firewarrior, that would be nice. I remember very little of that game except that it had noticeable controller lag that annoyed me so much I went all the way back to Game for a refund on the same day as I bought it...

9. saxovtsmike

saxovtsmike Minimodder

Monkey Island 1+2, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Day of the Tentacle.
    Pretty much the best games I played ever.
    Back in the days where there was no google or walkthroughts, these took me quite some time

10. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

They still do take me ages. I was replaying Zelda on the SNES a few months back and wondered how the hell I did it when I was 12-14!

11. Griffter

Griffter What's a Dremel?

want to unplay farcry 2's piece of crap!

12. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

i want to unplay rage and delete it from my brain - it was aweful

13. fodder

fodder Minimodder

I would like to unplay all of the Call of Duty series and forks of it since they dropped dedicated servers. They have tarnished the memories of some epic online and single player games plus the best clan battles I have ever had. Poor gameplay, laggy, crap hit registration, inability to avoid/kick abusive players, an achievement system that would drive an ADHD sufferer to distraction and frustrating server browsing system.

If I wanted a console game, I would buy a console. I game on PC because I prefer it so don't try and dress up a console game as being 'awesome' on a pc. It's not.

14. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Ace Combat: Assault Horizon.
    It'd be like buying Portal 3, and discovering that it was actually a half-reskinned CODBLOPS with a few portals already attached to the environment, but not in areas you can access.

15. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Quake wars and Diablo 3. The two most disappointing games I've ever played and also two of the games I most looked forward to.

16. onominous

onominous Master of the Universe!

I would definitely unplay Diablo 3. I thought i'd give it ago, and found it terribly repetitive very early on, let alone doing the game through and through. I kept at it, as my friends wanted to play co-op to get through the hard difficulties..however after I got to Level 20 something, the epic shiteness of Blizzards system, me and 2 other friends got hacked and lost all our gear. Never touched the game again. Waste of 20 hours which could have been better spent doing uni coursework!

17. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Far Cry 2
    Bioshock

18. DreamCatcher

DreamCatcher What's a Dremel?

If everything goes as planned we'll have our annual private x-mas lan party again and I'll be able to enjoy the childish mischievousness when executing a sneak attack in C&C Generals, devastating a friends meticolously aranged base with an armed mob.

Worst game experience ever:
    I can't remember the name of the game but it was from the DOS era. You were on a utterly unpopulated alien planet, wandering about a bleak landscape. Something happend to me and half the screen went black. It took me several ours to find out that I was attacked by a bird who picked one eye... need I say more?

19. Bede

Bede Minimodder

I would unplay my second time with Hexen II. In its day it was amazing, I absolutely loved it. Now it's not quite so special.

20. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

Far Cry 2, it destroyed my faith in games reviewers and big budget games, every turn it promised to "get better in a minute", it never did.

Tags: Add Tags