1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 3 Dec 2013.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. Spuzzell

Spuzzell What's a Dremel?

Thanks for a really enjoyable review.

After adoring ACII and Brotherhood I got bored about 4 hours into Revelations, and skipped AC3 entirely as Connor seemed like such a chore to play as.

But I'll pick this one up I think. Because, ships. And bonus shrubbery.

Ta daaa! *jazz hands*

3. barny2767

barny2767 What's a Dremel?

Loving the game so far. I think I have 1 or 2 main missions to go but have done all the side missions and not just sailing round collecting chests and sinking ships for fun.

I would have liked to see a reputation system that you cant buy your way out of or gets reset when you die, just to make the game a little harder.

Also the legendary ships, why cant you board them and have then in your fleet.

But its all a good game even if there are some odd bits here and there.

4. IT Troll

IT Troll What's a Dremel?

"More like Absurd-o entertainment AM I RIGHT?"

Tony Law fan?

5. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

"Is the PC version another horrendous console port?" is all I need to know now....if not, I'll get it. If it is (like all the others) then I shaln't.

6. Fishlock

Fishlock .o0o.

The fact that it locks the PC version at 30fps annoys me. I know there are ways around it, which I have done, but it shouldn't be there in the first place.

7. springbok82

springbok82 What's a Dremel?

Very good review. Really loving this game and I've only now got my hands on the Jackdaw, so the fun is just about to start.

However... I'm a little disappointed though as I got AC4 with a GTX 780 Ti, and the frame rates are kind of rubbish at times. I'm running it on a Dell U2711 but still... I've tried everything on max settings, which is what you would expect to be able to do with such a card, but for the mean time had to drop down a few notches on some of the settings to get running a bit smoother. I'm thinking of shelving the game for a few weeks until Ubisoft and Nvidia come up with a proper fix.

That said, it's a stunning looking game and could easily become one of my favourites.

8. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

I've been playing this on the PS4 and it's actually fun, compared to III which I didn't even finish.

9. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

so... no score? just... "great"?
    wow im at the EXACTLY same situation....

10. raxonb

raxonb Minimodder

"It's immediately clear that Connor's grandmother must have been a broom handle with a face painted on it, because he didn't inherit many of his grandfather's genes."

Hilarious but true!!

Definitely enjoying this one a whole lot more than III. I'm actually wanting to explore and do all the side missions.

I am wondering though, that at the beginning Edward kills an assassin and takes on his identity (sort of), which would mean that he is not a descendant of Ezio and Altair, so how would this be part of Desmond's DNA memory? Or does this get explained later - I'm only on Sequence 4 yet.

11. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Nice spoiler.

12. barny2767

Well after 63ish hours im finished with all the side missions done found all the fragments, chests, stones and stuff also defeated the 5 legendary ships. Now all I have to do is synchronise all the memories as im still at only 95% complete.

To answer raxonb I never noticed it being explained in any of the game so that leaves a huge gap to fill in the DLC unless I missed something.

Anyway its a very enjoyable game that is really built for consoles but works well on the PC but is much smoother with a gamepad.

13. barny2767

double post sorry

14. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

EDITED: I was misquoting so have deleted the post.

15. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

brilliant games. i remembered why i love this series. Ezio's AC2 was the best and Altair was the most groundbreaking at that time. This game continues this excellent tradition. Something that I didn't "feel" with AC3...
    im only 3hr in and if i check out the animus DB, u can read all about the characters' background.

thing is, the genes is not required to relate to the Assasins. it could simply be that somewhere along the line, one of Ezio's descendant decided NOT to become an assasin, just a regular merchant, have a regular normal family, and somewhere along THAT line, Edward is born. And voila, Edward is thrown back into the whole Assasin stuff.

at least, that's how i explained it to myself when i saw that happened in the first 5 minutes of the game.

Tags: Add Tags