1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Dell moves most AMD systems to retail only

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 11 Feb 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Dell's move into retail passed me by completely, although I did notice Dell systems for sale in Tescos the other day.

It's not surprising that Dell is limiting their AMD systems, especially since Intel are winning pretty much hands down in the processor wars at the moment. I don't think they'll give up on AMD completely though, just in case AMD get their act together and come out with a line of Intel-beaters.

3. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

people always seem to think of processor wars but they dont apply in the retail consumer prebuilt market, I say this because naturally a lot of people think well this cpu OC better then that one so its the better way to go but in the consumer market in prebuilt systems you cant OC them so the difference in performance is minimal at best. Im sure someone will argue this but regardless at my work we sell just as much amd systems as we do intel systems actually I think we sell more AMD systems as they tend to be cheaper then the intel systems with similar features.

Anyhow Dell is still horrid just the same so I stay clear of them whenever I can.

4. Dreaming

Dreaming What's a Dremel?

For budget systems AMD are still better placed in the market than Intel. And for most people a budget system will cope perfectly fine - I got command and conquer 3 running on my girlfriends Athlon X2 3800 :)

The only reason I ever consider dell is for their notebooks anyway, only thing they do pretty well because the DIY notebook market is pretty... non existent. Get a cheap dell and upgrade it with your own OS / software and you're laughing.

5. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

It doesn't seem hard for anybody to buy from the business selection; that's how I got a cheap monitor.

But there's only 1 AMD machine, 11 Intel. And the AMD is pitched at the wrong price level - too high to buy for the typists, too low for the boss's desk. ;)

The budget systems are Intel - Celeron and E21xx. Overkill for MS Office, but from £150 for a full system who's complaining?

6. hawky84

hawky84 SilentModder

Dell is just following the trends and adjusting their business to get the most sales, blue is winning at the moment so Dell will concentrate on making blue machines for the masses. Although this will have a hit on the green team when they are already down.

Tags: Add Tags