1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laptop LCD display - suddenly, the colours are inverted?!?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Langer, 11 Nov 2008.

1. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

Hey folks, I got a doosie of an issue here for you all.

I just arrived at my Father's house and he hands me a laptop that he claims is having an issue.

I boot it up and the display is set to 640x480, and the colours are still 32bit but they are inverted (ie: white is black, red is green, blue is orange, etc)

I played around a bit with the graphics settings but I couldn't find a quick fix for him.

I've not yet tired removing and reinstalling the graphics drivers as I want to be certain that I haven't missed a quick fix.

The laptop is a HP Pavillion dv6000

Father claims that the screen was fine when he shut it off, then he went to turn it on and fappo! inverted colours.

I tried connecting an external display and the colours are fine - leading me to believe that it's a hardware issue.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance for the help.

2. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

New drivers don't help any.

Has no-one ever heard of such a case? (I'm looking at you Bindi :hehe:)

I called HP on a whim, and the tech claimed to have never seen such a thing.

3. identikit

identikit Minimodder

Ctrl-Opt-Cmd-8 on a mac will invert the display colours, but I've never heard of it happening like this.

4. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

We've had quite a few of that model in for repair at work with faulty panels.

5. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

I guess the Old Man is S.O.L.

Thanks for the help guys.

6. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Try pressing Alt + Shift + Print Screen

7. ModMinded

ModMinded Are you throwing that away?

could it be that somehow accessibilty mode got turned on? are the font's large?
    (left alt, left shift, and print screen is the shortcut toggle for high contrast)
    Check the control panel, under accesibility, and display tab.

though it is odd that the external display works normally. maybe it is a hardware issue.

8. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

He has fixed it, check his project log, he had to resolder the plug.

9. Cosmot

Cosmot What's a Dremel?

I dont know that, I allso to say this.There are usually several connectors inside LCD displays. Some are zero insertion force, some are push fit, and some are just squeezed between components during manufacture. Problems like you describe are often caused by the connections you can't fix (the 3rd type.) You can try reseating all the removable connections, but if that doesn't work an expensive part - the LCD itself - probably needs replacing, which can cost more than a new laptop.

10. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

Old thread alert, but a standard 15.6" LCD panel is around £100 on the highstreet.