1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

annoying Virus problem *sigh*.........

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by K.I.T.T., 10 Apr 2006.

1. K.I.T.T.

K.I.T.T. Hasselhoff™ Inside

right well i've just managed to clear my PC of a fairly big multiple virus infestation that occured however there is some collaterall damage that i can't seem to fix. the problem is that for some reason the desktop background has been changed to a plain grey colour and when you right click on the desktop, go to proerties and then to desktop the menus are all greyed out as if i'm not allowed to access them. i have tried running multiple virus scans whilst explorer.exe is closed (also when explorer is closed i able to see what my background should be but as soon as it fires up again all i get is the grey background again) and they have turned up nothing. i have also done the same with anti spyware software and found nothing (appart froma few tracking cookies but thats it). the only way i have fopund to temporarily get my background restord is to close and open explorer until the active desktop fails and then if i nip in the desktop menu then i have one shot to change the centered, stretch or tiled option and press apply and get my normal background but after the one time its all locked up again and even so my icon are all messed the text still has the grey background underneath it.

i've run out of ideas now and was wondering if you guys (and gals) have any? any help is greatly appreciated

oh yeah and i've even tried loading a copy of explorer from another comp onto a memory stick closing mine then running of the memory stick incase mines been altered or infected but that had no effectl.

2. WireFrame

WireFrame <b>PermaBanned</b>

3. K.I.T.T.

K.I.T.T. Hasselhoff™ Inside

you sir, are a saviour :clap: :clap: and i thankyou very much....i had had a look round the registry and had actually come across the key that needed deleting but i for some reason didn't take any notice of it even though it was labeled 'wallpaper' :duh:

4. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I had the same problem with a system too actually, nice find Wireframe. :)

5. WireFrame

WireFrame <b>PermaBanned</b>

np, I have this as a registry import file now, stuffed in a folder I only ever seem to open when something has gone wrong with the ol' box.