1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Random freezes Help please

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by AcidJiles, 23 Oct 2010.

1. AcidJiles

AcidJiles Minimodder

Just built a new PC and I am experiencing random freezes after several hours of usage every time. Also logging in seems to go slowly. I am using W7 all upto date.

Specs:

I5 760
    Gigabyte P55M-UD2
    4GB 1600MHZ DDR3
    ATI 4830 512MB
    2 x 1TB HDD
    550W Antec True Power PSU

Looking around seems like cpu overheating is often the cause, I have checked its temperature and its idles at 25 and goes to 40 with stress. So it would appear not to be it. I haven't built a pc in a while and need some help trying to figure out what it could be please.

Last edited: 23 Oct 2010
  2. digitaldunc

digitaldunc What's a Dremel?

Any BSOD's? Google the hex codes if there are.

Check out event viewer, see if there's anything that points to your issue there?

Check the SMART info pertaining the OS drive and possibly do a chkdsk?

3. AcidJiles

AcidJiles Minimodder

No BSOD. I get a freeze in windows and initially I can still move the mouse for a bit then that stops too. Movies also continue to play but can't select anything else and they stop after about a minute.

Will check event viewer when it freezes next.

Will check the HDD but its new and all indications suggest its fine.

4. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

Probably a video error. Is you video card overclocked? (I just had this problem today as I was watching a movie with Windows Media Player and had my card overclocked. Struggled for a while to close it and when I reopened with VLC, the problem didn't reappear. Maybe the movie file I had was corrupted in some way and WMP's codec was chocking on it. Or maybe my OC was not stable enough. Anyway, I've left that machine to fold over the night. Am anxious to see what state it will be in the morning.)
    What temperature is your card usually running at? Have you tried monitoring it with GPU-Z and logging to a file?

5. ulfar

ulfar holy s**t, i can change this?

might be a graphical error. i had the same problem on my old 800mhz duron with riva tnt2 32mb (hardcore!) (man, that piece of turd sounded like a tractor). everything froze, moved the mouse about for a couple of seconds and when that failed too my solution was (as always) to kick the computer followed by a hard reboot.
    when i replaced the gpu, the problem siezed and i continued kicking my computer for other reasons.

do you have the possibility to throw in another gpu? temps look fine otherwise.
    /ulfar

6. nightblade628

nightblade628 Minimodder

My problem is that my 760 isn't good at multitasking. While it's loading one program, the mouse is responsive but if I click internet explorer, press CTRL-ALT-DEL, even click the clock in the corner, NOTHING HAPPENS. Normally it would slowly open it, but it seems all four cores are so focused on one task it completely ignores the others until it's finished. This mostly happens during log-on as well.

It's frustrating because my core 2 would at least make an effort. Maybe this is the effect of no hyperthreading or something to do with a botched AHCI setup (which I didn't know about until after Windows 7 was installed); so no, you're not alone in your troubles, although I can't say I've had problems with video playback.

ulfar: But can your TNT2 run Crysis?

I remember my TNT2 fondly, back when a single graphics card could play EVERYTHING at full settings for at least a few months. Great cards.

7. ulfar

ulfar holy s**t, i can change this?

that sounds weird, can't say i've experienced it before (well once, but a clean reinstall of windows fixed that, never got to find out the reason). is your cpu properly "installed"? alot of times i see cpu drivers (for laptops though) which, once installed, give a significant boost (these have mostly been for dual cores).
    can't think of anything other.

and yes, my tnt2 played daikatana, though it was a bit of a Crysis

8. nightblade628

nightblade628 Minimodder

All the chipset drivers are installed, I really have no idea what its problem is but it seems to be behaving at the moment.

Two words: Superfly Johnson. I thoroughly enjoyed Daikatana for the 7 minutes I played it, at which point I was warned it only gets worse and decided to step away before my day was ruined.

9. AcidJiles

AcidJiles Minimodder

I get this aswell with my 760. logon is really slow and sometimes tabs in firefox will freeze as its working on something else.

Its stopped crashing tho.