1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards No power to USB devices when Windows boots

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by redders, 5 Nov 2010.

1. redders

redders What's a Dremel?

Hi everyone,

Just got back from a holiday on Dusseldorf to find the computer failing to boot. My girlfriend has still been here but said she didn't do anything, but it 'just stopped working during strictly come dancing' (sounds like following my departure it was turned into a strictly come dancing machine, and lost the will to live).

Initially I was getting a CPU fan error, but the thing is watercooled and i have nothing connected to the CPU fan socket, which explains the warning, so I flicked that to 'ignore' in the bios.

It then started booting from the wrong HDD (strangely it lost that boot priority setting in the BIOS too). I haven't checked if all my overclock settings are still there actually - that would be interesting to see if the bios was completely reset.

Anyway, the long and short is that I have managed to get it to a stage where it boots, but for some reason none of the USB devices are powered after windows loads. They work fine before windows loads, but die during the loading screen.

Not sure what to do now.. Any ideas?
    Motherboard is a asus p6t. Power is some 650w corsair jobbie.

Cheers
    -redders.

2. nightblade628

nightblade628 Minimodder

Does the OS flag the devices up in Device Manager, or is it just not registering them at all?

3. redders

redders What's a Dremel?

Well the problem currently is that I can't even log into the OS because all of my peripherals are USB. So I get to the windows login screen and end up with no input devices to enter the password!

Current plan is to get a ps2 mouse so i can investigate further.

4. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

check bios to see if usb keyboard/mouse support is enabled, i have had customers turn it off, on a computer with usb only, no ps2 sockets, then wonder why they cant do anything, including getting into bios.

5. Ripitup121

Ripitup121 MMMMMMm watercooling....

Sounds like the bios reset to defaul settings for some reason, Powercut or failed overclock on an unexpected reboot maybe, happened to me after running a stable system for months on end. doesnt solve it do... anthing other settings in the bios that may have an impact???

might not need to get a ps2 mouse, just get one of those lil adaptor thingys (usb to ps2) that comes with most mice.

Rip

6. redders

redders What's a Dremel?

The devices are enabled in the bios and the usb mouse and keyboard actually work up until the windows loading screen appears. now I can boot into windows and use this £3.99 argos value ps/2 ball mouse + on screen keyboard (agonizingly slow).

all usb devices had code 52 in device mgr, which i got rid of by disabling driver signing checking in adv boot options, now they all show error 39, but if i check for updates windows tells me the driver is up to date....

search continues.

p.s. sry for grammar etc, on screen keyboard sucks!

7. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

sounds like a hardware failure to me, possibly the chipset on the mainboard.

have you tried unplugging all usb devices including any card readers plugged into the mainboard?