1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Asus GTX 560Ti - Win7 64bit Restarting or Black Screen Lock

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by staggerlee, 9 Apr 2012.

1. staggerlee

staggerlee What's a Dremel?

Hi all,

I made a pc around the new year. everything has been fine. Now every few hours the pc will either restart, or the screen goes black and i cant do anything except turn it off and on again.

In the action center i get the notification that all the restarts are because of my NVIDIA Graphics Driver.

NVIDIA graphics driver has stopped working 6 times (s, last occurring on xx/xx/xx xx:xx. Steps are available for addressing this problem.

I click on the View Message details.

and get:

This solution could not be downloaded

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most likely causes:
    Your computer was unable to download the solution at this time. Check to make sure your computer is connected to the Internet, and then try to download the solution again later.

--

Obviously im on the internet since im posting this :D..

Ive downloaded the latest driver from ASUS but its still happening. Anyone know what the message details was going to say? Or some ideas on a fix.

Thanks

S

2. DeafGamer2015

DeafGamer2015 Minimodder

hmm is the driver up to date? If it is.. try to roll back to the older version.. It sounds like the newest driver is still buggy..

Also what's your computer specs??

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

If you have MSI AfterBurner or EVGA Presision, or RIVA Tuner, uninstall them, as they might cause a conflict.

If your computer (any part) is overclocked, for testing purposes, restore the settings to default. Of course, to not lose your overclock work, write everything you put on paper, so that, if it isn't the problem, you can put everything back as it was.

Download from NVIDIA your graphic card drivers. When you run the setup go under "Advance (custom)", and check the box to do a clean install. Also uncheck the boxed of Nvidia 3D stuff. The drivers will clean everything clean, ask you to restart, and resume the setup once your back.

Check also your system temperature. Make sure that nothing is overheating.

4. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

5. staggerlee

Hi all thanks for the replies!

since i put on the driver from Asus it seems to be ok.. I had one restart just after i installed it. But since a restart it seems to be working (I left it on over night and its still on now so! fingers crossed!)

Id did install some 3d stuff. Ill take that off when i get home tonight!

Is it best to download drivers from the manufacturer (Asus) or from Nvidia?

For looking at over heating i currently goto the BIOS and check it out there.. Is there a app or something that everyone likes to use to monitor?

I havent done any overclocking..

Spec is below:

Asus GTX 560Ti
    Asus P9X79 PRO Socket 2011
    Intel Core I7-3930K 3.20GHz
    OCZ ZX Series 850W 80+ GOLD
    Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR3 1600Mhz
    Corsair Hydro Series H100
    Corsair 180GB Force 3 SSD
    OCZ 120GB Agility 3 SSD
    Seagate Momentus XT 500 GB

thanks for the help!

S

6. T2I3M

T2I3M Minimodder

Glad you got the problem solved. There are a few apps you can use to monitor temps. I use HWmonitor, but there is also realtemp, cpu-z and gpu-z.

7. staggerlee

Hey!

YEah still going and no issues so far.. so thats 24 hours and no random reboots... very strange it randomly started happening.. but glad its fixed!

Thanks T213M ill check those out!

8. staggerlee

hi all back again!

So it seems all is not as well as i hoped...

I no longer have the random black screen lock outs. But now im faced with:

Some Flash player web sites dont load and I get a green screen where the vid should be.

I also VPN into work and now this doesn't load fully. I have a the initial screen then when the RDP loads up i just have a black screen and thats it.

Any suggestions? Currently i have:

Installed Nvidia driver - This stopped all the black screen / reboot errors. Now running: 296.10

Uninstalled all 3d applications that the Nvidia driver installed.

9. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Some 560ti owners are having problems with the 296.10 drivers.

10. matt_lumley

matt_lumley You're only supposed to...

Get the newest drivers straight from Nvidia (not asus) and do a clean install (see method above) using them, I had a similar issue to this and this was how i sorted it.

Matt

11. T2I3M

T2I3M Minimodder

Are you using firefox/IE/Chrome as a browser?

12. JPClyde

JPClyde What's a Dremel?

I have to same problem with certain games, not all like I can play Skyrim or SWTOR for hours, but when I play Dead Space 2 or Guild Wars then I have this issue. I've had it will all the drivers since I bought my card.

I found if I down clock my GFX card to stock speeds I can play for hours.

Personally I think with the overclocked cards they can't communicate with the drivers at the same speed, so results in timeouts.

Also I never download the drivers from the manufactures site, I download them from the chipsets site, like Nvidia or AMD.

It's called me a liar, Dead Space 2 will not let me play longer than 30mins, but I still think it's a driver issues communicating with the GFX card.

Last edited: 29 Apr 2012