1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics New titan XP released

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jizwizard, 6 Apr 2017.

1. jizwizard

jizwizard Modder

2. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

so the previous Titan XP wasn't actually full fat pascal?

3. jizwizard

jizwizard Modder

Doesn't look like it lol

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

£1200. Twelve. Hundred. Quid. For a graphics card. A consumer-grade graphics card.

<walks out, shaking head and muttering>

5. davvy76

davvy76 Minimodder

I feel it mate, to think it pained me paying £250 for a 9700 pro back in the day when it was top end. £1200 is just ludicrous!

But hey, at least you get free shipping :rock::rock::rock::rock::rock:

6. sandys

sandys Multimodder

PeteJ sobs in the corner :D

7. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Nvidia is cashing in, and fleecing a few more power users, just in case Vega turns out to be awesome and kicks them in the nads

8. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Or do they know that it will?

Maybe I should cancel my pre order for the Strix 1080ti...

9. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Any fewer than 3 in SLI and you're not even serious.

:lol:

Chicken76 likes this.
  10. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

nVidia seem to be making a big thing about MacOS support for the Titan Xp... which is interesting given you'd have to be rocking a pretty old pre-bin Mac Pro to make use of one.

11. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Sadly not too far from the truth :lol:

The specs are jaw dropping. The memory bandwidth is incredible.

Ah well. No funds to upgrade, and it's not as though the current Titans are struggling. Time to ease into the life of not chasing the cutting edge anymore methinks.

EDIT: I must admit, I first thought this was a late April fools when I read the thread title.

Last edited: 6 Apr 2017
  12. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

Unless they're hinting new Mac Pro is closer than expected.

13. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

That's what the various Macolytes I know seem to think, that this is hinting that a Titan Xp or similar GPU will feature in the new Mac/iMac Pro

14. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Nvidia's business model seems to involve sticking two fingers up at their biggest fans willing to part with the most cash in one go.

Release Titans at an extortionate rate (stick fingers up at customers)
    Release *Ti with better performance and cheaper than Titans (stick fingers up at titan customers)
    Release another batch of improved Titans (stick fingers up at original titan customers)

Their Titan brand is absolutely all over the place. It is not their flagship (even though it kind of is) as it gets beaten by the Ti branded graphics card historically. Yet it costs more. The first one of this generation has the same name as the one from the last generation. Now they seem to have two Titans out, both in the same generation and they both sandwich a Ti card in terms of performance (I assume this thing will beat a Ti). Media and general punters were calling the first one from this series Titan Xp just to differentiate it from the previous generation and now this new one is called Titan Xp. I mean seriously wtf? They must be smoking their money. Just rolling it up, smoking it like a big old money doobie and coming up with a marketing plan. That's the only explanation I can think of.

Last edited: 6 Apr 2017
  15. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Thought the same initially.

16. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Does it have HBM yet? or will that be a third Titan on the same tech?

I don't even really need to explain how I feel, as every one else seems to feel exactly the same, even the people that actually buy these cards. Problem is they are still weak. Loads of people cancelling their 1080ti pre orders on OCUK forums so they can buy one.

What do they say about fools and their money?

17. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Unfortunately we may well get a third Pascal Titan, rumour has it that Volta is going to be delayed due to issues with the intended smaller manufacturing process...

Frankly I don't really care, I'm more worried about Vega due to two of the three monitors on the market that could be considered an upgrade for me use freesync.
    But of course we don't really know what will happen with the monitor market either because HDR monitors are supposed to start appearing at some point, but then it gets even more complicated because those might not be worth waiting for as there are currently like four different HDR standards and we don't even know yet if any of the HDR monitors will be ultrawides with high refresh rate and maybe the money will be better spent on a 16 core Ryzen, fun times, just not for the wallet lol.

So for now a single 1080ti with decent cooling should be the best option.

18. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Sadly, Nvidia site clearly states "Limit 2 per customer"
    EDIT: That seems to on the US site, but not the UK one posted above.

Specs say GDDR5X.

19. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

If Nvidia's 'biggest fans' have forgotten about every single Titan release thus far then I have no sympathy for them. Every year you get a new Titan faster than the last one. If you expect suddenly 'but my Titan will be the fastest for longer!' you're just an idiot.

You buy a Ti if you want close-to-the-top performance and are willing to pay for it. You buy a Titan if you want absolutely top performance and an inconveniently heavy wallet. If you want compute, you buy a Tesla (and charge it to the business account). If you want a workstation card, you buy a Quadro (ditto).
    If you happen to have a workload that fits with a particular Titan that can do it cheaper than a Quadro or Tesla, and you don't need the enhanced support and testing/validation that comes with a Quadro or Tesla, then go ahead. But don't pretend Nvidia owe you a similar bargain next year.