bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 15th Apr 2017, 09:55   #1
InsolentGnome
Supermodder

InsolentGnome is a Super Spamming SaiyanInsolentGnome is a Super Spamming SaiyanInsolentGnome is a Super Spamming SaiyanInsolentGnome is a Super Spamming SaiyanInsolentGnome is a Super Spamming SaiyanInsolentGnome is a Super Spamming SaiyanInsolentGnome is a Super Spamming SaiyanInsolentGnome is a Super Spamming SaiyanInsolentGnome is a Super Spamming SaiyanInsolentGnome is a Super Spamming SaiyanInsolentGnome is a Super Spamming Saiyan
【MSI PRO MOD S5: Demonstration】Crevasse

Hey everyone, welcome to MSI's PRO MOD Season 5! My name is Dave Cathey, or InsolentGnome as a lot of folks know me. I hail from the US and I've been picked as a judge for this season. I know...crazy! Who in their right minds lets a gnome be a judge, let alone an insolent one, right? Part of the judging duties is to make a demonstration mod with the Arctic theme with the sponsor's hardware, which is some pretty nice kit, but let's start off with the theme...

This mod is named Crevasse. A crevasse is basically a crevice, but in a glacier. Crack in rock...crevice. Crack in ice...crevasse. It just sounds fancier, like a swan ice sculpture. The idea for the case is to appear to be a crevasse in an ice shelf that has opened up to reveal an inner cave. While it won't be as dramatic as it sounds, I think it should turn out pretty cool. Get it? Yeah, the puns will be out in force with this worklog.

For hardware, I'm starting off with the In Win 303 in white.

The motherboard is the MSI B350 Tomahawk Arctic.

And yes, you read that correctly, B350 so this baby is gonna have a new AMD Ryzen chip, the Ryzen 7 1700X to be specific.

Cooling for our Ryzen chip will be handled by the new MSI Core Frozr L tower cooler.

Populating the memory slots will be 16GB(4x4GB) of HyperX Predator DDR4 @3000MHz

Storage will be a HyperX 240GB Predator PCIe SSD in the M.2 slot.

Power is coming from a Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 1000w PSU.

And case airflow will be handled by Be Quiet! Silent Wings 3 fans. Three 120mm and two 140mm.

I'm still waiting on some of the other hardware and will update as soon as it arrives.

The first thing we need to to with all this nice hardware is to set it up and get the board updated since that's been an issue with Ryzen. Break out the Open Benchtable.

This thing is pretty slick and lets you bench up a system pretty easily.

I know that the GPU coming is supposed to be a RX580, but all I had with an air cooler laying around was a GTX 760, but it will let me get started. Now to find a monitor...

Sponsored by:

For more randomness, check out my tweets or my face page or my website!
InsolentGnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Apr 2017, 07:45   #2
InsolentGnome
Supermodder

InsolentGnome is a Super Spamming SaiyanInsolentGnome is a Super Spamming SaiyanInsolentGnome is a Super Spamming SaiyanInsolentGnome is a Super Spamming SaiyanInsolentGnome is a Super Spamming SaiyanInsolentGnome is a Super Spamming SaiyanInsolentGnome is a Super Spamming SaiyanInsolentGnome is a Super Spamming SaiyanInsolentGnome is a Super Spamming SaiyanInsolentGnome is a Super Spamming SaiyanInsolentGnome is a Super Spamming Saiyan
The rest of the hardware came in this past week so let's see what we've got rounding out this build.

For a GPU, there's the brand new MSI RADEON RX 580 ARMOR 4G OC.

I've also got some nice peripherals that I'm gonna try and match to the build.

The MSI INTERCEPTOR DS4200 GAMING KEYBOARD.

The MSI CLUTCH GM40 GAMING MOUSE.

And the MSI DS502 GAMING HEADSET.

So with all the hardware in, it's time to get cracking on this project.

The first thing I did was strip most of the case down and tape it all up. I'm wanting to keep the finish. It's the right color and looks pretty durable. I left some of the interior so I could measure a few things.

Then I marked out a "safe" cutting area. This is where my design is going.

Now to mark out the cases namesake.

Wait. That doesn't look right...

Ah, much better. Did I mention that I'm rolling the case onto its back? The front becomes the top and the top becomes the front and the layout is reversed. It'll take some work to make it functional, But I'm liking the flip.

I took a Dremel and made some notches I could slip a jigsaw blade into.

And then surgery.

I didn't really go for precision with the jigsaw because I didn't want the blade to grab and bend anything. This InWin is thick aluminum, but I didn't really want to chance it. I'll go in with a grinder and take the rest of the material out. That is after I go get a better grinder for the job.

Sponsored by:

For more randomness, check out my tweets or my face page or my website!
InsolentGnome is offline   Reply With Quote

View Mode