bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 19th Mar 2017, 11:15   #1
Maarten/Pine
What's a Dremel?

Maarten/Pine has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Project Cu - a watercooled PC desk

Hi guys

At the moment I'm working on a custom, watercooled desk PC. The theme will be black with copper accents like the watercooling pipes and other components.

I've already started with making the desk and buying the components. It's a slow but steady work in progress.
I thought I'd share some sketchup images of the project with you, together with some build log photo's.

Parts list:
Components

i7 6700k
EVGA gtx 1080 SC
ASROCK Z170 Extreme 7+
16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 3200MHz
Corsair RM850i (Will make custom cables myself)
Samsung 850 EVO (I've not decided on how much storage and how many drives)

(Water)cooling
EK FC-1080 (The 1070 version doesn't have a copper version)
EK Supremacy EVO Copper/plexi
EK-res X3 400
Alphacool NexXos UT60 radiator
Alphacool VPP655 PWM + Eisdecke D5 plexi
Corsair SP120 fans
Nanoxia Coolforce CF1 fittings

This is the top-view of the model, as you can see not all the parts are added in the sketchup model because that would be too much work. It's just to get an idea of the model.
As I already stated, the desk will be black with copper accents.

Here are some pictures of the progress of the desk itself.
Started with cutting the base of the desk.

Assembling the outside of the desk

Complete base of the desk finished!

Gluing some wooden parts together for more strength. The part in the back is made so that the air coming out of the PSU won't enter the cable management space.

Cutting a hole in the back for the exhaust of the psu.

Cable management space is finished.

Next thing will be to buy and cut the plastic tubes for the cable management. After that I'll position all the PC parts where they need to go and drill holes where I need to.

Here I've drilled holes where the plastic tubes for the cable management will go through. 

After some (a lot) of filing because I didn't have the right sized saw tool, it seems like a perfect fit!

Test fitted where the mobo and gpu will go, this seems like a good division of the space.

After the test fitting I marked off the rear I/O and cut a space where all the connectors will go through. This space will need to be adjusted in height once the standoffs are installed.

Now it's time to attach the middle board to the base. This will be glued in place aswell if everything is finished and ready to paint.

I also made some mounting points for the psu.

This is how it will be, psu (hot) air will be exhausted out the back of the desk.

Next I marked the holes for the mounting points of the mobo and drilled holes (not through the whole thickness of the base, just for some ''screws'' that have a thread inside. 

Next, time to screw in the standoffs.

That's it for this update. I don't have a lot of time on my hands to work on this but I'll do my best to keep updating it regularly!
Please let me know what you think. I know it's hard to imagine how it will turn out.
If someone's interested in the sketchup file, let me know.

Last edited by Maarten/Pine; 20th Mar 2017 at 10:51. Reason: Wrong links to the images.
Maarten/Pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Mar 2017, 17:50   #2
GeorgeK
Oooh purple

GeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Hello and welcome to the forums. You need to fix your image links (hit edit at the bottom of the post). You need to use the direct links (the ones that end in .jpg) and also please select the large thumbnail option when using imgur as our forum does not automatically resize images for you.

Thanks

George
GeorgeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Mar 2017, 19:00   #3
Maarten/Pine
What's a Dremel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeK View Post
Hello and welcome to the forums. You need to fix your image links (hit edit at the bottom of the post). You need to use the direct links (the ones that end in .jpg) and also please select the large thumbnail option when using imgur as our forum does not automatically resize images for you.

Thanks

George
Thanks for that, will update it immediately!

Quote:

Thanks

George
Can't seem to figure out how to resize the images.

Last edited by GeorgeK; 20th Mar 2017 at 08:33.
Old 20th Mar 2017, 08:36   #4
GeorgeK
Oooh purple

GeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming Saiyan
On imgur after you click on the picture to obtain the links in the bottom right-hand corner of the box that pops up you should see the option for different sizes - I find that the large thumbnail option works best for on here

Old 20th Mar 2017, 09:13   #5
kim
Multimodder

kim has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I like computer desks builds....waiting for the following...and resizing as well
kim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Mar 2017, 10:49   #6
Maarten/Pine
What's a Dremel?

Quote:
On imgur after you click on the picture to obtain the links in the bottom right-hand corner of the box that pops up you should see the option for different sizes - I find that the large thumbnail option works best for on here
I've figured it out now. Seems like another option is to put an ''L'' just before the .jpg in the link. This will resize the images as well! After I found that out, also found the option for the large thumbnail.
Thanks for your help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kim View Post
I like computer desks builds....waiting for the following...and resizing as well
Thanks mate, as you can see the images are fixed!
Old 20th Mar 2017, 10:58   #7
Maarten/Pine
What's a Dremel?

Okay, so after I've fixed the original post, here's something new.
This weekend I put on the waterblock for the gpu which I made a video of. The video is down below with some images.

It's actually my first video so I'd appreciate it if you would give me some feedback about it.
The close ups are a bit shaky, which is known to me. Will try to make it smoother next time!

EDIT: video linking doesn't seem to work... This is the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07RDgNAxN0M

Last edited by Maarten/Pine; 22nd Mar 2017 at 10:59.
Old 20th Mar 2017, 16:21   #8
MellowMods
What's a Dremel?

MellowMods has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Great concept! I like the idea of using PVC for the cable management. Can't wait to see more.
MellowMods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Mar 2017, 19:33   #9
Maarten/Pine
What's a Dremel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MellowMods View Post
Great concept! I like the idea of using PVC for the cable management. Can't wait to see more.
Thanks man, appreciate the comment!
Old 22nd Mar 2017, 08:32   #10
GeorgeK
Oooh purple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maarten/Pine View Post
I've figured it out now. Seems like another option is to put an ''L'' just before the .jpg in the link. This will resize the images as well! After I found that out, also found the option for the large thumbnail.
Thanks for your help!
No problems Adding the L does it too but it's more time consuming than clicking the size you want in the first place. Good luck with the rest of the build!
Old 8th Apr 2017, 21:28   #11
Maarten/Pine
What's a Dremel?

Finally, last week I got a full day to work on the desk. Got quite alot of sawing done, check it out below!

Wanted to start with the biggest task of the day, marking the radiator cutouts, then cutting them out with a jigsaw.

Made the marks for the cutouts with a radiator gasket.

Nice.

Cutout made, doesn't really mind that it's not perfect. Air will flow through anyways.

Fitted the radiator real quickly to make sure the holes were on the right spots. Goddamn perfect!!
I did not fit all the screws in on the photo, but i checked all of them.

3x 120mm cutout for the fans blowing out.
Oops, used the wrong baseline.

That's better!

Result after making the cutouts for the air vents! Quite satisfied with them.

Test fitting the watercooling components. Reservoir will be mounted on the vertical back wall (check next pics.)
Pump is also too high for it to be mounted on the wooden platform. Will need to make a cutout for it and mount it to the base with a slight elevation!

Marking the spot for the pump.

Fits freaking perfect!! (after 20 mins of filing though)

Also made a cutout for the double temperature display bay. Only had to secure it on one side, sits secure!

This may be a bit weird to imagine, but this is the bulk connector in the hole I made for it. It goes through the base of the desk. This will be the exit for the drain port.

Called it a day after quite alot of hours. This is the end result:
- reservoir mounts mounted on the vertical back wall;
- cutout and mount made for the temp display bay;
- cutouts for the radiator/fans;
- made a hole for the drain port.

This week I will probably get the last components for the build, front panel with usb and cable materials!
Thanks for following this build, stay tuned for the next update!
Old 17th Apr 2017, 20:49   #12
Maarten/Pine
What's a Dremel?

Yet another update!

First I had to level the inlet of the pump to the outlet of the res. This meant it had to be elevated for 30,5mm: not an easy height to make.

Made an acrylic plate with some holes at the right spots for the pump mount.

Then fixed a bolt with some washers and a locknut to the acrylic plate.

Added another set of locknuts which the pump can rest on. Now I can set the pump to the perfect height by measuring with a slide caliper.

Problem: you will be able to see the bolts because of the silver color.

Solution: a dremel!

Perfect.

Time to mark the spots where the holes need to go in the PVC tubes (cable management.)

Making the holes.

Some filing, and it's done! I'll buy some rubber u-profiles for covering up the imperfections.

Also made a nice cutout where the back of the gpu can rest on. Also quite useful if you want to actually plug in some cables.

Small cutout for a rubber grommet. Makes the cable management cleaner.

Got a new mobo after RMA'ing the broken one: works perfectly now!

Working on the custom cables aswell...

Some of the (partly) finished products...! So much time...

Let me know what you think.. This week or the next, I'll finish all the building and I'll paint the whole thing.
Old 17th Apr 2017, 23:10   #13
kim
Multimodder

kim has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
...good job, waiting for next update
kim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Apr 2017, 06:38   #14
Maarten/Pine
What's a Dremel?

Quote: