bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 9th Apr 2017, 13:12   #201
Cleveland216
Carbon Fiber King

Cleveland216 has yet to learn the way of the DremelCleveland216 has yet to learn the way of the DremelCleveland216 has yet to learn the way of the DremelCleveland216 has yet to learn the way of the DremelCleveland216 has yet to learn the way of the DremelCleveland216 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Impressive sleeving. Is that Nylon or Cloth sleeving?
Cleveland216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Apr 2017, 21:14   #202
FatalSyntaxError
Minimodder

FatalSyntaxError has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Looking great man! As for hold the cables in place, there is this one neat method I know of that involves stitching the cables like they would in massive data centres.

Here's a few links to what I mean.

Couple of tutorials on how to do it:

Tutorial 1 (Part of a series, check channel for other parts.)

Tutorial 2

Tut 2 the guy uses an extra thick thread to better illustrate each step. You'd ideally use a much finer thread to make it less noticeable.

Probably a bit late now but perhaps for your next mod

Last edited by FatalSyntaxError; 25th Apr 2017 at 19:35.
FatalSyntaxError is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Apr 2017, 12:19   #203
Andreas | Brodholm
Multimodder

Andreas | Brodholm - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Andreas | Brodholm - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Andreas | Brodholm - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Andreas | Brodholm - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Andreas | Brodholm - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Andreas | Brodholm - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Andreas | Brodholm - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Andreas | Brodholm - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Andreas | Brodholm - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Andreas | Brodholm - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Andreas | Brodholm - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cenedd View Post
Now THAT's looking neat. My wife would very much approve!

Saying how much is riding on the cables being correct for the first boot and then showing us a picture of a blank screen was not kind!
Haha Yeah my wife/fiancee also have had a bit to say about the design on this. So I must give her some cred as well.

Well, the first bot was NOT FUN. Took like 30 seconds before it had done all the checks and the screen finally was done. You have time to think of a few things then

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vault-Tec View Post
Awesome. Love the pron music

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland216 View Post
Impressive sleeving. Is that Nylon or Cloth sleeving?
It is a really tight nylon sleeving. But it does not have that "cheap plastic look" that some nylon sleeve can have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatalSyntaxError View Post
Looking great man! As for hold the cables in place, there is this one neat method I know of that involves stitching the cables like they would in massive data centres.

Here's a few links to what I mean.

Couple of tutorials on how to do it:

Tutorial 1 (Part of a series, check channel for other parts.)

Tutorial 2

Tut 2 the guy uses an extra thick thread to better illustrate each step. You'd ideally use a much finer thread to make it less noticeable.

Probably a bit late now but perhaps for your next mod
Thanks for the tip and links!

It is a good idea, and it crossed my mind. But I decided that the hot glue would be better and easier for me. The hot glue is not visible (only on the under layer or on places under the cover) and if you want to remove a cable you just have to pull a little on one cable and pull it out. And this way I can fix it to the case itself also.

On the pictures it looks a bit like "omg what has he done?!?" but I assure you that it looks very good with the cover on

I would have liked to not use anything and just rely on friction and I almost had it once, but then it popped right out after like 60 minutes of tucking cables and then I decided that I would simply use hot glue. No impact on the visuals and very practical.
Completed! (Pictures Inside)
Andreas | Brodholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Apr 2017, 10:31   #204
Andreas | Brodholm
Multimodder

Andreas | Brodholm - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Andreas | Brodholm - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Andreas | Brodholm - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Andreas | Brodholm - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Andreas | Brodholm - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Andreas | Brodholm - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Andreas | Brodholm - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Andreas | Brodholm - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Andreas | Brodholm - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Andreas | Brodholm - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Andreas | Brodholm - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!

Polishing and sanding the acrylic

I got this kit. You basically use sand paper, and then you use number 3, number 2 and then clean with number 1.

I recommend using microfiber cloths. And remember to NOT use the same cloth for different number bottles. You do not want to use the same cloth for number 2 as you did for number 3!!!

Before you go with the number 3 you will have to do the basic work with sand paper. I went from 240 grit to --> 400 --> 800 ---> 1500 ---> 2000 and then I went with number 3. That produced a really nice result.

Did all the sanding in this container filled with moving water. It really helps when you have running water when you polish. At least I think so.

This is how it can look when you start.

Sanded to 2000 grit.

Polished with nr 3, 2 and then cleaned with nr 1. I was a bit lazy with this part since it really does not matter.

Sanded this uneven with 60 grit. The idea being that it will diffuse the light and give a more even illumination around the base of the case.

Can you spot the difference?

Clear like glass!

Rinse and repeat, same procedure as before.

Finally done with the polishing. This took a LOT of hours to do, and it is really draining work, both mentally and physically. You need to push really hard when you polish with the cloth and sanding seems like it never ends. Going through all those stages of different grit papers was tedious work. But in the end the result was all worth it!
Completed! (Pictures Inside)
Andreas | Brodholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Apr 2017, 10:48   #205
Cenedd
What's a Dremel?

Cenedd has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Definitely looking good. You can come and polish up the varnish on my workbench if your arm's still good! If I get it shiny enough, I can blind myself with the spot lights I put in above it....that's forethought in design!
Cenedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Apr 2017, 17:28   #206
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

Cheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Welcome to the torture club. Now put a Q-Tip in a drill and buff out those screw holes!
-Joking. It looks great even without going to that level of polish insanity.