bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Hardware

Old 20th Apr 2017, 15:53   #21
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by loftie View Post
From what i've read, it's the nature of mechanical switches in general.
What, chatter? Since moving away from my beloved IBM Model F with its buckling springs, I've used Cherry MX Blues, Browns, and Blacks in anger - and I haven't had a single repeated keystroke across four keyboards (Filco Majestouch, Ducky something-or-other Cheese-'n-Chive Edition, a Noopoo tenkeyless I bought on the forums 'ere, and my Maltron daily driver) - and we're talking tens of thousands of keystrokes a day.
Gareth Halfacree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Apr 2017, 16:08   #22
David
RIP Tel

David is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I've never experienced chatter with any of my keyboards either, and I've had a dozen or more, including a Corsair K65 RGB.

Main rig - 6700K|Z170|32GB|256GB M.2|500GB SSDs|8TB NAS|980 Ti|3007WFP-HC|Parvum S2.0
David is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Apr 2017, 16:42   #23
Margo Baggins
I'm good at Soldering

Margo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Halfacree View Post
What, chatter? Since moving away from my beloved IBM Model F with its buckling springs, I've used Cherry MX Blues, Browns, and Blacks in anger - and I haven't had a single repeated keystroke across four keyboards (Filco Majestouch, Ducky something-or-other Cheese-'n-Chive Edition, a Noopoo tenkeyless I bought on the forums 'ere, and my Maltron daily driver) - and we're talking tens of thousands of keystrokes a day.
I've never had chatter on any of my keyboard - except an LZ-GH and that WAS a firmware issue, as they released a version of the firmware with a debounce you could set yourself and it solved the issue.

but with cherry-mx switches, I've never experienced it naturally, where it's not been definitely firmware. oh and I once bent a leaf spring and thought I could get away with bending it back, that sswitch was chattery so I swapped it.

I disagree it's a general problem with mechanical switches, but I agree it could happen due to poor QA over batches of switches.

I have some swtiches that have been used to within an inch of their lives, off mechs from industrial backgrounds - none of them chatter, so it can't be a problem with switches aging. Has to be either poor QA or someone messing with the switch.

All completely anecdotal as well

Gareth is your daily actually a maltron? You're such a cool guy! becomes more apparent every day.

i7 6700k - 8GB - GTX 1070
keyboards.
Margo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Apr 2017, 17:55   #24
loftie
Mod Master

loftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Should have added that, while googling for my own issues with my K70 I came across multiple people saying chatter is fairly common on cherry switches. Though I appreciate this will be obviously be coming up because I am specifically searching for things about chatter.

As for it being the nature of a mechanical switch, from the elite keyboards website

Quote:
Key switch "chattering" aka "contact bouncing" is a natural occurrence in mechanical switches that can cause one switch press to be detected as multiple presses. Digital electronics in a keyboard normally filter out chatter and can handle a small deviation in chatter in a properly performing key switch, however, in the case that a switch is damaged or defective, the amount of chatter can become too large to be filtered. The result is a repetition of key input seen on your computer screen for only one intended key press.

For a typical Cherry MX based keyboard, the chatter filtering is set to 5-10 milliseconds, but this is not a value that is typically disclosed by keyboard manufacturers. Since input speed capability is a marketable specification, many manufacturers understandably push their luck in this regard. This means that switches must be of excellent performing condition in order to avoid chattering. Unfortunately, environmental contaminants and keyboard build quality can affect how quickly a key switch departs from an acceptable chattering range, and most Cherry MX keyboard owners will see some chattering at some time in their keyboard's lifetime. Fortunately, the amount of chattering is often not frequent enough to cause noticeable issues for most users.
Kinda makes sense to my non-mechanical or electrically minded mind, doesn't mean it's right though
Old 20th Apr 2017, 18:00   #25
Kronos
Another grumpy old git.

Kronos is a Super Spamming SaiyanKronos is a Super Spamming SaiyanKronos is a Super Spamming SaiyanKronos is a Super Spamming SaiyanKronos is a Super Spamming SaiyanKronos is a Super Spamming SaiyanKronos is a Super Spamming SaiyanKronos is a Super Spamming SaiyanKronos is a Super Spamming SaiyanKronos is a Super Spamming SaiyanKronos is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Perhaps you could explain it to me as it is meaningless. Lol.
It is a major issue with these particular keyboards and one that Corsair recognising as an issue not that they gave done much about it.
Did you find the registry hack as I might try that?
Carbide 240/Asus Z170M plus/I5 6600K @ 4.6Ghz/Avexir Core Blue Series 16GB /AXP 200 Muscle /Gigabyte FE 1080/500Gb OCZ TR150 SSD/2 x 25Gb SSD/ 2TB HDD/ SST-ST60F-P PSU/Dell U3415/CM TK White (browns)/Logitech G400s/.
Silverstone GD05B/ MSI B751A-E33/G840/2x2GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3 Red LED/GTX 260/Kingston 60GB/500GB WD/Corsair CX500/Dell U2711/ E Element Chroma KB /Logitech M518.
Kronos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Apr 2017, 18:14   #26
modd1uk
Mod Master

modd1uk is a Super Spamming Saiyanmodd1uk is a Super Spamming Saiyanmodd1uk is a Super Spamming Saiyanmodd1uk is a Super Spamming Saiyanmodd1uk is a Super Spamming Saiyanmodd1uk is a Super Spamming Saiyanmodd1uk is a Super Spamming Saiyanmodd1uk is a Super Spamming Saiyanmodd1uk is a Super Spamming Saiyanmodd1uk is a Super Spamming Saiyanmodd1uk is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margo Baggins View Post
Glenn if you want to ship it to me with a list of switches that are chattering I can change them for you, I've got hundreds of reds at home.

just when you've paid postage both ways it's starting to sound expensive, for an old keyboard.
This right is here is why this is by far the best community on the t'inerwebs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Halfacree View Post
There you are, then! Buy 100, take two, eBay a bundle of 98 at 70% the price of the 100-bag bundles, spend the profit on ale and whores.
modd1uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Apr 2017, 18:18   #27
davido_labido
Staff
bit-tech Staff

davido_labido is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.davido_labido is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.davido_labido is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.davido_labido is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.davido_labido is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.davido_labido is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.davido_labido is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.davido_labido is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.davido_labido is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.davido_labido is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.davido_labido is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I would happily do it if I am closer to you than Margo (I am in Nottingham usually, but can do London also)
davido_labido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Apr 2017, 18:28   #28
Kronos
Another grumpy old git.

Kronos is a Super Spamming SaiyanKronos is a Super Spamming SaiyanKronos is a Super Spamming SaiyanKronos is a Super Spamming SaiyanKronos is a Super Spamming SaiyanKronos is a Super Spamming SaiyanKronos is a Super Spamming SaiyanKronos is a Super Spamming SaiyanKronos is a Super Spamming SaiyanKronos is a Super Spamming SaiyanKronos is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Glenn if you want to ship it to me with a list of switches that are chattering I can change them for you, I've got hundreds of reds at home.

just when you've paid postage both ways it's starting to sound expensive, for an old keyboard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davido_labido View Post
I would happily do it if I am closer to you than Margo (I am in Nottingham usually, but can do London also)
Thanks guys. I will need to ascertain which keys are involved but would like to get it sorted though I do appreciate the postage issue and as I am in Edinburgh I doubt cost will be different.

I will get the keyboard set up tomorrow and test all the keys and then make a decision.

Thanks again, much appreciated.
Carbide 240/Asus Z170M plus/I5 6600K @ 4.6Ghz/Avexir Core Blue Series 16GB /AXP 200 Muscle /Gigabyte FE 1080/500Gb OCZ TR150 SSD/2 x 25Gb SSD/ 2TB HDD/ SST-ST60F-P PSU/Dell U3415/CM TK White (browns)/Logitech G400s/.
Silverstone GD05B/ MSI B751A-E33/G840/2x2GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3 Red LED/GTX 260/Kingston 60GB/500GB WD/Corsair CX500/Dell U2711/ E Element Chroma KB /Logitech M518.
Old 20th Apr 2017, 19:20   #29
loftie
Mod Master

loftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by modd1uk View Post
This right is here is why this is by far the best community on the t'inerwebs.
+1
Old 20th Apr 2017, 19:39   #30
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Gareth is your daily actually a maltron? You're such a cool guy! becomes more apparent every day.
It is indeed! QWERTY layout, though, 'cos I'm not 1337 enough for Dvorak or Malton's custom.

EDIT: Here's a better shot, from back when my desk was clean and tidy.

It'd be a much nicer keyboard with better PBT caps (fat chance of that without having a one-off custom set made) and Blues or Greens instead of Blacks, but it does the job.

Last edited by Gareth Halfacree; 21st Apr 2017 at 08:28.
Gareth Halfacree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Apr 2017, 17:29   #31
Margo Baggins
I'm good at Soldering

Margo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I preferred it when it was dirty - as I was looking at it last night at home, and my GF walked behind me and said "That looks like your desk".

Super nice board there

i7 6700k - 8GB - GTX 1070
keyboards.
Margo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Apr 2017, 09:13   #32
Kronos
Another grumpy old git.

Soorrry forr the delay, a bit oof mmann fluu, I am typing this on tthe K70 annd althoouugh some leetttters annd nnuumbers aree more proone to doouble lettters, otther letterrs will doo it.

The worst offenders are U. O. T. E. But to be honest I do not think I can be bothered to see if it repairable as I do not really like the board, lighting not particularly bright, which I prefer and generally the KB is to black and on checking whether I can replace keycaps I see yet again that for reasons unknown the bottom row seems to differ in size from all the replacements I have.
Old 22nd Apr 2017, 11:20   #33
davido_labido
Staff
bit-tech Staff

davido_labido is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.davido_labido is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.davido_labido is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.davido_labido is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.davido_labido is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.davido_labido is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.davido_labido is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.davido_labido is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.davido_labido is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.davido_labido is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.davido_labido is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
My desk is always messy. The worst part is my desk goes the whole way around the room (5 1.2 meter desks!) and all of them are messy

yeah, Corsair don't have a standard bottom row which is a PITA for those who want to chance things around.
davido_labido is offline   Reply With Quote