bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Misc > General

Old 18th Apr 2017, 13:04   #21
adidan
Lurking back neat the Toon

adidan is a Super Spamming Saiyanadidan is a Super Spamming Saiyanadidan is a Super Spamming Saiyanadidan is a Super Spamming Saiyanadidan is a Super Spamming Saiyanadidan is a Super Spamming Saiyanadidan is a Super Spamming Saiyanadidan is a Super Spamming Saiyanadidan is a Super Spamming Saiyanadidan is a Super Spamming Saiyanadidan is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs77 View Post
What you need is a government that can make the Brexit negotiations as smooth as possible, with a solid majority in parliament.
Ha, that did make me laugh, I wish that could happen but my nation appears to have lost its collective mind since I went away and came back.

What with my partner being Finnish it may affect us more than some, we may have to move again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
The Tories have shown their true colours
They don't ever hide them very well. I just hope people remember that although Brexit is important they shouldn't forget about the NHS and other aspects of our society that are being shafted.

As for Scotland, May said categorically there wouldn't be a snap election and that Scotland shouldn't confuse matters by calling for a referendum during Brexit. Now she calls an election...

Seriously, was something put in the water while I was away?
adidan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Apr 2017, 13:19   #22
bawjaws
Mod Master

bawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel-R1 View Post
Since SNP have been rattling cages about a 2nd referendum, I can see their share sliding now too as I think an even larger percentage will be dead against one.

Can't wait to see Wee Jimmy Krankie's face. Cannot bear the woman, nor her agenda.

Labour are also still in chaos and this will only further bury them. I think May's either been very brave or very clever...
I'm not so sure that the SNP will lose that many votes in the snap GE. It might seem a bit counterintuitive but a lot of people vote SNP despite not being pro-independence. You also have to think about who people would vote for instead - Labour are still a shambles in Scotland, the Lib Dems are still largely in the wilderness, UKIP are virtually non-existent. That leaves the Tories, the Greens or the SNP.

In terms of support for IndyRef2, it's certainly not something that people I talk to are madly keen on, even those who voted Yes last time. That said, I think that if Brexit goes as badly as people fear then you'll see the independence campaign get a shot in the arm. But in general, I think people are suffering from referendum fatigue, and even voting fatigue. That being the case, I'd be interested to see how low the turnout is at this forthcoming GE - I suspect it might be quite low.
bawjaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Apr 2017, 13:26   #23
Corky42
What did walle eat for breakfast?

Corky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I can't see turnout being low, if anything people will probably see it as a 2nd referendum, Conservative = Hard, Labour = Soft, Lib Dem = Remain.
Corky42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Apr 2017, 13:29   #24
Anfield
Mod Master

Anfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs77 View Post
Not even by a pro stay government that miraculously got a 75% majority of the vote.

Good luck.
What are you talking about? Both big parties have committed to brexit, so there is precisely zero chance of a pro remain party getting any majority.
R7 1800X, ASRock X370 Taichi, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 DDR4, ASUS Strix 1080TI OC, 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 4TB WD Black, EVGA T2 1KW, Lian Li PC-O9WX, EK Supremacy Evo, EK-XRES 140 DDC 3.2, EK-CoolStream PE 360, Ducky Shine 6 (Brown Switches), Logitech G402, AOC U3477PQU (34" 21:9 ftw)
Anfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Apr 2017, 13:35   #25
David
RIP Tel

David is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming Saiyan
What are the odds on the Tories throwing the fight?

They've had a long hard look at Brexit - maybe they've decided they don't fancy a bite of that sh!t sandwich and quite fancy dumping it onto Labour/LibDem's plate, so they can step back in after four years and blame Labour/LibDem for all our ills?

Main rig - 6700K|Z170|32GB|256GB M.2|500GB SSDs|8TB NAS|980 Ti|3007WFP-HC|Parvum S2.0
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Apr 2017, 14:15   #26
liratheal
Sharing is Caring

liratheal is a Super Spamming Saiyanliratheal is a Super Spamming Saiyanliratheal is a Super Spamming Saiyanliratheal is a Super Spamming Saiyanliratheal is a Super Spamming Saiyanliratheal is a Super Spamming Saiyanliratheal is a Super Spamming Saiyanliratheal is a Super Spamming Saiyanliratheal is a Super Spamming Saiyanliratheal is a Super Spamming Saiyanliratheal is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
What are the odds on the Tories throwing the fight?

They've had a long hard look at Brexit - maybe they've decided they don't fancy a bite of that sh!t sandwich and quite fancy dumping it onto Labour/LibDem's plate, so they can step back in after four years and blame Labour/LibDem for all our ills?
While I'd not be shocked in the least if that's their plan, I couldn't see any reasonable human betting on the voting public to get them out of the shitstorm that is Brexit.
liratheal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Apr 2017, 14:23   #27
Ending Credits
Bunned

Ending Credits is a Super Spamming SaiyanEnding Credits is a Super Spamming SaiyanEnding Credits is a Super Spamming SaiyanEnding Credits is a Super Spamming SaiyanEnding Credits is a Super Spamming SaiyanEnding Credits is a Super Spamming SaiyanEnding Credits is a Super Spamming SaiyanEnding Credits is a Super Spamming SaiyanEnding Credits is a Super Spamming SaiyanEnding Credits is a Super Spamming SaiyanEnding Credits is a Super Spamming Saiyan
As for Lib Dems, I'd rather vote for someone spineless than brainless, although it is a rock and a hard place.

Main issue is, even with support for Labour/Dems/Green, the splitting of the vote means the Tories are going to laugh their way to the bank. Of course, this all wouldn't matter so much if we had AV. Heck, the Brexit vote would never even have happened if we had AV.

It's ironic, but the best chance of a mitigated Brexit is if UKIP win a whole bunch of votes this election.
Ending Credits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Apr 2017, 15:05   #28
stuartpb
Ultramodder

stuartpb is a Super Spamming Saiyanstuartpb is a Super Spamming Saiyanstuartpb is a Super Spamming Saiyanstuartpb is a Super Spamming Saiyanstuartpb is a Super Spamming Saiyanstuartpb is a Super Spamming Saiyanstuartpb is a Super Spamming Saiyanstuartpb is a Super Spamming Saiyanstuartpb is a Super Spamming Saiyanstuartpb is a Super Spamming Saiyanstuartpb is a Super Spamming Saiyan

Pretty much sums up the options as far as I'm concerned. 2 major players and both as useful and reliable as a piece of 2nd had bog roll! Let's not even get into honesty and integrity!!
stuartpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Apr 2017, 15:25   #29
IanW
Grumpy Old Git

IanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming SaiyanIanW is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Sadly, not voting is not voting no!
IanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Apr 2017, 16:34   #30
Blogins
Panda have Guns

Blogins is a Super Spamming SaiyanBlogins is a Super Spamming SaiyanBlogins is a Super Spamming SaiyanBlogins is a Super Spamming SaiyanBlogins is a Super Spamming SaiyanBlogins is a Super Spamming SaiyanBlogins is a Super Spamming SaiyanBlogins is a Super Spamming SaiyanBlogins is a Super Spamming SaiyanBlogins is a Super Spamming SaiyanBlogins is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I hope this election offers the complete and utter defeat that the labour party needs so that they're in an electable position for the next general election. With any luck David Miliband will take the top job to reform the party. There's no way I'm voting for a labour party with Corbyn at the helm.
|Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (SSD - Boot)|Crucial MX100 512GB (SSD - Games)|
Blogins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Apr 2017, 16:37   #31
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinq-sea View Post
There we go then. May has called a 'snap' General Election, 8th June 2017.

Discuss.
At first I thought this should be in SD. But on further consideration I think it needs to be in the Demote thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartpb View Post
I saw some news article pop up on my Facebook feed, it looked like "fake news" at first glance as I've never heard of the news outlet before. Was shocked and surprised if I'm honest. Wouldn't like to put money on the outcome either!!
In times of uncertainty people tend to vote for the government in power. I think the Conservatives will get a majority vote. People be stupid that way.

However I think that the timing is interesting. The government has already had to make a number of climb-downs on their Brexit promises and plans. Liam Fox has apparently clocked up 230000 air miles already and has not had a single agreement in principle on a trade deal... anywhere. It seems clear from its avoidant behaviour (e.g. not making any economic projections of possible negotiation outcomes) that the government realises that Brexit is going to cause some economic harm and that it is in effect confronted with a damage limitation exercise.

I think that Theresa May may well be wanting to opt for a softer-ish Brexit, but thus far has needed to consider the hard-core Brexiteers in this. Now UKIP is dead, if she gets the majority vote, she can do what she wants without having to appease that minority.

"We are the music makers; we are the dreamers of dreams"

Current project: Metaversa 02 Ada.

Last edited by Nexxo; 18th Apr 2017 at 20:30.
Nexxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Apr 2017, 16:47   #32
Corky42

Corky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanW View Post
Sadly, not voting is not voting no!
Even worse, not voting plays into the the hands of the extremists, zealots, fringe, or whatever you want to call them, assuming no one is going to vote for an extreme view can lead to some surprising results.
Old 18th Apr 2017, 17:04   #33
fix-the-spade
Mod Master

fix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyanfix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyanfix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyanfix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyanfix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyanfix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyanfix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyanfix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyanfix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyanfix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyanfix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Oh joy, yet more chaos.

I imagine this is May's gambit to kick Labour and Jeremy Corbin into the weeds. I'm voting Lib Dem, because I can.
Old 18th Apr 2017, 17:12   #34
bawjaws
Mod Master

bawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I would have thought May would have left Corbyn to it, seeing as he's utterly incompetent and totally ineffectual as leader of the opposition. This GE gives hope to the idea that Corbyn might actually have to step down after presiding over a crushing landslide defeat.
bawjaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Apr 2017, 12:21   #35
stuartpb
Ultramodder

stuartpb is a Super Spamming Saiyanstuartpb is a Super Spamming Saiyanstuartpb is a Super Spamming Saiyanstuartpb is a Super Spamming Saiyanstuartpb is a Super Spamming Saiyanstuartpb is a Super Spamming Saiyanstuartpb is a Super Spamming Saiyanstuartpb is a Super Spamming Saiyanstuartpb is a Super Spamming Saiyanstuartpb is a Super Spamming Saiyanstuartpb is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corky42 View Post
Even worse, not voting plays into the the hands of the extremists, zealots, fringe, or whatever you want to call them, assuming no one is going to vote for an extreme view can lead to some surprising results.
And voting for halfwits who couldn't organise a piddle up in the proverbial brewery just leads to more of the same.
stuartpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Apr 2017, 12:32   #36
damien c
Mad FPS Gamer

damien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I know who I will vote for because the other 2 options are just a no go for me.
Old 19th Apr 2017, 12:39   #37
yodasarmpit
No longer the other Brett.

yodasarmpit is a Super Spamming Saiyanyodasarmpit is a Super Spamming Saiyanyodasarmpit is a Super Spamming Saiyanyodasarmpit is a Super Spamming Saiyanyodasarmpit is a Super Spamming Saiyanyodasarmpit is a Super Spamming Saiyanyodasarmpit is a Super Spamming Saiyanyodasarmpit is a Super Spamming Saiyanyodasarmpit is a Super Spamming Saiyanyodasarmpit is a Super Spamming Saiyanyodasarmpit is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Smart move by May, with the weakest opposition in living memory this should be a straight forward Conservative majority and mandate to deliver what ever they wish.

The only up side will be the immediate resignation of Corbyn post election.
Old 19th Apr 2017, 12:50   #38
Corky42

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartpb View Post
And voting for halfwits who couldn't organise a piddle up in the proverbial brewery just leads to more of the same.
Better to vote for them IMO than extremists, zealots or nutters on the fringe.

Voting for some halfwit that couldn't organise a piddle up in a brewery is far better than not voting and allowing a few people to elect Dr Evil who wants sharks with laser beams attached to their heads.
Old 19th Apr 2017, 13:00   #39
GeorgeK
Oooh purple

GeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodasarmpit View Post
The only up side will be the immediate resignation of Corbyn post election.
I imagine that there are quite a lot of labour MPs and members who will be glad of Corbyn getting a drubbing as they will finally have proof that he is unelectable and will be able to get rid of him now rather than wait until 2020.
GeorgeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Apr 2017, 13:10   #40
RedFlames
...is a figment of your imagination

RedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I'll be deeply disappointed if someone doesn't use the slogan 'Make June [8th] the end of May'...

As for where I am, I can't see the age-old trend of 'they'll vote for anything with a Labour badge on it' ending. So while I personally won't vote for the bottleless ****wit that is the current MP... at least he's a known quantity of idiot...

Last edited by RedFlames; 19th Apr 2017 at 14:17.
RedFlames is online now   Reply With Quote

View Mode