bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 20th Apr 2017, 11:20   #1
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Microsoft enables passwordless logins

Open your account with a simple tap.
https://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/2...dless-logins/1
Gareth Halfacree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Apr 2017, 12:41   #2
proxess
Ultramodder

proxess is definitely a rep cheat.proxess is definitely a rep cheat.proxess is definitely a rep cheat.proxess is definitely a rep cheat.proxess is definitely a rep cheat.proxess is definitely a rep cheat.proxess is definitely a rep cheat.proxess is definitely a rep cheat.proxess is definitely a rep cheat.proxess is definitely a rep cheat.proxess is definitely a rep cheat.
I hope there's an option to "force sign out everywhere (and lock screen)" otherwise one little mistake and boom.
Linux #429448
proxess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Apr 2017, 12:44   #3
Corky42
What did walle eat for breakfast?

Corky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
So they've taken 2FA and made it 1FA, lets hope you don't lose your phone.
Corky42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Apr 2017, 20:16   #4
dstarr3
Multimodder

dstarr3 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The problem is that computers still need to be accessed, even if not connected to the internet. So, how exactly do you log in when not connected? Probably with a password. So, until we come up with a password alternative that relies on nothing other than the user and their computer, we're probably never going to have a password alternative.
dstarr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Apr 2017, 20:32   #5
Xlog
Supermodder

Xlog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Xlog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Xlog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Xlog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Xlog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Xlog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Xlog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Xlog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Xlog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Xlog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Xlog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstarr3 View Post
The problem is that computers still need to be accessed, even if not connected to the internet. So, how exactly do you log in when not connected? Probably with a password. So, until we come up with a password alternative that relies on nothing other than the user and their computer, we're probably never going to have a password alternative.
<sarcasmon>With everything being in the "cloud" (files, software, music, etc) why would you need access to your computer if it does not have access to the internet?<sarcasmoff>
Old 20th Apr 2017, 21:02   #6
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Let's swap that for cars: The problem is that I still need to get about while inside a building, even if not connected to a road. So, how exactly do I get about when not connected? Probably with my feet. So, until we come up with a feet alternative that relies on nothing more than the user and their destination, we're probably never going to have a feet alternative.

If you're wanting to log on to an offline computer, you'll still need a password; this is not an alternative to that, and considering it's only compatible with Microsoft Accounts - which are, by definition, online rather than offline - it's not being positioned as such. Having keyless entry and start on your car is not a replacement for your house keys, either, but that hasn't stopped it being a popular option for the last few years, has it?

TL;DR: "This system cannot be used for every possible scenario, ergo is useless" does not a cogent argument make.
Old 21st Apr 2017, 17:19   #7
dstarr3
Multimodder

dstarr3 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
"If you're wanting to log on to an offline computer, you'll still need a password; this is not an alternative to that."

"Microsoft has announced that it is attempting to do away with passwords"

Article sure reads like that's what they're trying to do. That's what I'm responding to.
dstarr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Apr 2017, 17:23   #8
Corky42
What did walle eat for breakfast?

Corky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Wait, What? How dare a company be deliberately misleading like that.
Corky42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Apr 2017, 20:08   #9
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Quote:
"If you're wanting to log on to an offline computer, you'll still need a password; this is not an alternative to that."
"Microsoft has announced that it is attempting to do away with passwords"
Article sure reads like that's what they're trying to do. That's what I'm responding to.
As the bit of the lede you didn't bother to quote should hopefully make clear, it's talking about Microsoft Accounts ("their accounts," "their" being Microsoft) which are online accounts - and about a 2FA system that doesn't work offline either. This is an alternative to passwords for online accounts.

Even if I failed to make that clear, you're still being either dashedly shortsighted or deliberately disingenuous.
Old 25th Apr 2017, 18:15   #10
Wwhat
Multimodder

Wwhat should be considered for presidentWwhat should be considered for presidentWwhat should be considered for presidentWwhat should be considered for presidentWwhat should be considered for presidentWwhat should be considered for presidentWwhat should be considered for presidentWwhat should be considered for presidentWwhat should be considered for presidentWwhat should be considered for presidentWwhat should be considered for president
I'm working of doing away with bankcards and money, simply transfer all your earnings to me and I'll get you some basic nourishment to keep you going. Free from all those pesky choices and decisions you will feel like you are in paradise(/North Korea).

Or in other words,: Piss off big ugly US corporation that wants control of every human and all their privacy.
(Now they will probably just install a keylogger and sneak into their EULA that you are OK with them capturing typed passwords.. sigh.)
Wwhat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2fa, alex simons, microsoft, microsoft authenticator, passphrase, password, two-factor authentication