1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Some self portraiture, CC please

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by GregTheRotter, 23 Oct 2008.

1. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

[​IMG]

I suppose the symmetry isn't 100% but hey ho.

[​IMG]

This pose looks a little off I know, the left leg i.e the one off the ledge looks a little too far stretched, and unnatural

[​IMG]

Apart from the sky being blown out, and my butt is sticking too far back and to the left, I also am not sure about my right hand being in a fist. The lighting on my face could have been a bit softer too, although I'm not 100% sure.

[​IMG]

I'm not sure if the pole next to the window is distracting or not but I figured it's part of the shot, and I couldn't have cropped it tighter, being a full length portrait.

[​IMG]

Apart from my foot being chopped off, and the unavoidable pole next to the window, the shot looks ok.

[​IMG]

The shadows on the top right corner could be a bit distracting in this shot. The foot against the blue kind of dissappears, but I'm not sure if that's an issue. Might have been a bit better composed if I was further towards the middle of the doorway. Aside from that, there could have been some side fill flash, but again, these are just some impromptu shots, for practice.

With regard to the lighting, all shots were taken with ambient light. I only have one tripod, otherwise I would have had my sb-800 for fill, off camera.

As far as PP goes, I've used a few actions in photoshop, digital fill flash, an edge vignette, and thats about it. Firstly please excuse the shots for not being 100% in focus. My aim was to practice getting shots that looked more or less natural, and using the timer on the camera meant focus has to be achieved before the timer is set which I wasn't able to do, as even if I focused on where I was going to stand, the focus would still be behind me. If anyone feels up to some CC I'd appreciate it.

2. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

it looks like these shots could have benefitted from a bit of fill flash. also, a couple of them seem a bit underexposed. as regards to composition, it looks like you have an idea of where you want to go, but they don't really pop, to me. none of these shots conform to the rule of thirds - while this isn't hard and fast, i'll be honest and say that the first one especially suffers because of this.

other than that - oraia fotografia - na'sai kala :)

3. akpoly

akpoly What's a Dremel?

It needs post processing to increase the contrast since you didnt use any fill flash. You might also make them a much tighter crop. If these are suppose to be body length headshots, your subject is the person not the surrounding. And yes the pole is quite distracting. You could always re-compose the shot so its not in the frame.

4. akpoly

akpoly What's a Dremel?

Also, to make the blue pop out more, white balance for the bldg. Its a dingy grey.

5. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

Fod, how does one really use the rule of thirds for full length body shots where the subject is standing up??

Akpoly; How would I crop tighter without making the crop's look off (i.e the length of the door)? In shots 1,2,4,6, the door looks really huge, making the subject look kind of short, not sure how else to put it. And yeah, the size of the door is a little overpowering with regard to what the subject of the shot it. I'll see if I can add some punch to the whites. Also, would you say the darker clothes goes against the white/blue thing, what would you say is more in keeping? I've seen some other island style portraits, but those were with white cotton trousers and a shirt with the sleeves rolled up. Any thoughts?

6. akpoly

akpoly What's a Dremel?

Don't be afraid to crop the door. All I'm saying, IMO, your subject is the person, not the door. If these are suppose to be modeling portfolio pictures (as suggested by your poses) I would disregard them and move on to the next model that has closer body shots. You lose detail in your face. An important thing is, can you still see the whites of their eyes?

But if these are just general portrait shots, which is doesn't look like, you might want to go super wide or just back up in some shots as well.

And like the style of the shot, clothes depends on the purpose of the photo.

And this is nit-picky, but the door bell and flood light are distracting as well.

7. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

Aside from fill flash. It looks like you missed a good opportunity to use some warm, natural light by about 30 minutes. That orange light would've looked good on your face and lit that blue door nicely.

8. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

by not having the subject in the center of the frame? :idea:

maybe it's just me but i'd tend to shoot full body shots with the subject off to the side of the frame, and often in landscape.

9. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

Not modeling portfolio pictures, but the sort of shots I'd be doing as location shoot photos if I was a wedding photographer.

Tags: