1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So are we going to get the front page "Hot Topics" back one day?

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by Maki role, 8 Apr 2014.

1. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Now that Bit is under new ownership and things are said to be changing for the better, would anybody be interested in seeing this little thing return to the front page?

I know it's not strictly necessary, but I felt that it helped to link the front page viewers to the forum itself. Certainly when I think back to when I was a lurker rather than a contributing member, I used that feature all the time. I would visit the front page frequently to see if there were any new modding articles, and usually I would check out the all the projects in that little list of "Top Project Logs". It helped to initiate me into the forums somewhat I guess.

In fact, when I began my first real project here last year, having my project visible on the front page at all meant a lot to me. I'm certain that during those periods when a log was on the front, the thread would also receive substantially more views than when it wasn't.

I just think that it's numerous little things like that which can help tie a community together a bit. Sure it's not a big deal, but something about it felt warm and supportive.

Anybody else feel the same way or is it just me?

2. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

It would be good if it was kept up to date ;) I was reading the Intel 2014 article in the hardware section and saw in the "Recent Posts" box, "It's time to bin your optical drive" so I clicked on it for a read and the last post on this article was Feb 2013, not sure this qualifies as a recent post :confused: Maybe this will change with the new owners?

3. Pistol Puppy

Pistol Puppy What's a Dremel?

Hi Maki Role and Umbra,

We are doing a couple of things on the homepage to improve functionality.

We're actually thinking about using the space on the homepage for 'Mods of the month' and 'Buyers Guides' which we want to get moving again.

We will definitely discuss your ideas, I really like the idea of featuring a project log on the homepage. As with everything, we're open to ideas and promise we will discuss them.

Umbra: 'recent posts' etc, is one of those awesome glitches that makes sense to neither man nor mouse. Every time the devs sort one thing it seems to hit another. Oh the fun of taking over a site with so much content!

We are pretty confident these types of things will happen less going forward, but if in doubt, just sigh, click back a page and eat some cheesecake. It's what we have to do over here sometimes, too :)

John.

4. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

This is high calibre advice.

5. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the reply, I'm sure it must be a huge amount of work taking over this site and getting it all up and running as you want it, I think the general opinion is that you are all doing a great job after the inevitable initial problems and 'Mods of the month' and 'Buyers Guides' would be most welcome :thumb:

6. RTT

RTT #parp

Semi related, when is the CPC-crap going to be deleted forever?

7. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

This is good news! The modding side is really what sets Bit-Tech apart from many other PC enthusiast forums, good to see it's going to be receiving some much needed front page love.

The beauty of the old "Top Project Logs" bit was that it was really simple and automatic. It just grabbed the 5-7 or something most popular logs from the last couple of days and put them there. As such it would cycle through loads of different logs as they became more popular (usually because the modder posted an update or similar). Having that in addition to more front page modding articles/features would be amazing and fingers crossed not too hard to implement.

8. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

It's great that this place is getting organised :cooldude: