1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks New router advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by b0ng0, 15 Jul 2015.

1. b0ng0

b0ng0 Reddomitlum

Apologies if I come across as ignorant about networking, but that's because I am .

I've been running with the old Thomson TG585 v7 that Plusnet sent me many years ago but I'm fed up with random lag spikes and what I assume are dropped packets. I'm also pretty sure that if I buy a router now, it will be better than the Thomson.

At present, I have an ADSL connection (fiber will eventually be rolled out but who knows when - I'd still like to future-proof a new router by getting one that can handle fiber).

Download speeds are theoretically max @ 7 Mbps and upload is about 2 Mbps. Not great, I know.

I have a couple of devices that can use b/g/n/ac and dual band sounds like that way to go now too. I do like to use Steam In-Home Streaming, but the Thomson actually seemed to handle this okay.

Looking for something under/around £100 - any suggestions?

2. Chunkers

Chunkers Meat Popsicle

Hi B0ng0,

Tread carefully ......

It sounds like you are quite a long way from the exchange / have a noisy-ish line. Your current router has a Broadcom chipset / modem which is a good choice for these kinds of lines as it has a reputation for being stable.

The issue you describe sounds like it is related to your connection so I would check you have a good filter and no faults on your line before placing your hopes on a new router to solve your issue.

You can get your line stats from your router WebUI and this will tell help you understand how stable and noisy your line is.

I would also be very careful about your choice of modem as an Infineon or Trendnet chipset may not be able to provide as stable a connection - this was certainly this case for me when I got rid of my old Thomson 585 v6 and I had to change modem / routers twice to get a decent stable connection again. Your line stats will help you to understand this.

If you are planning to upgrade to FTTC soon then you might want to consider getting a separate modem and router - remember you could just put your current Thomson into bridge mode, use its modem and upgrade your network and wireless to the latest standards with a new standalone router, personally I like the Asus AC68U or something like that? When FTTC come along then all you need is a modem! Again I am in the same positions and am using my old Billion (Broadcom!) router as a modem until FTTC gets enabled in my area.

A while back I made this video describing the AC68U and my setup (not wishing to blow my own trumpet too much but it might help a bit)

GL!

Chunks

3. creative

creative 500rwhp

I have just bought an netgear d6200 . dead easy to setup and works well.

4. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

I've got an Asus AC68U (there's a newer AC68P, which fixes the USB3 port speed issue). It's awesome. Very easy to setup, AC wireless certificate so quite future proof.

I've got FTTC BT Openreach fibre with Zen (a small ISP), they provided the modem, and I just plug in my own router on the WAN port, then follow Asus' setup wizard. Easy. I am able to maxing out my 70Mbps internet wirelessly anywhere in the house. I can get around 11 MB/s file copy speed at the study on my MBA (furthest location I'd use a laptop from the router) connected using 5 GHz AC.

5. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Avoid the TP Link Archer routers.

They are great when they're working, but they have a habit of dropping the connection a couple of times a day.

6. b0ng0

b0ng0 Reddomitlum

Thanks for the info guys.

I will check up on the filter, as it's just the one that came with the router in the first place.

I'm sure the Thomson is capable, but I can't believe that there isn't a better option out there that would give stronger WiFi signal with less random lag in games.

So far still looking at the TP Link Archer D* series and Asus N55U, might give the Netgear a look but seems quite expensive for what it is.

7. Chunkers

Chunkers Meat Popsicle

Asus N55U is a Trend chipset and a poor performer on long and noisy lines from personal experience - I would avoid like the plague. The video I linked shows this problem clearly.

As far as I have seen the TP-Link Archer D series mostly have Broadcom chipset (like your Speedtouch) so imho is a much better bet. I quite like TP-Link stuff and have tested the TD8980 and thought it was OK, have not encountered any relaibility issues personally.

Have you considered Billion ?

GL!

Chunks

8. b0ng0

b0ng0 Reddomitlum

Never heard of Billion before - are they a reputable brand? They seem a little thinner on the ground in terms of availability compared to say, TP-Link.

9. Concrete-Coffin

Concrete-Coffin Minimodder

10. Chunkers

Chunkers Meat Popsicle

They aren't a mainstream brand but they have a solid reputation are generally well reviewed. Their 7800N router was a best seller for many years.
    No reason I can think of not to consider them.

C