1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Moving A Game From One Display to another

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by HeaverNothing, 13 Jun 2014.

1. HeaverNothing

HeaverNothing Professional Idiot

I was wondering how do I move my game form one screen to another. I play my shooters etc with my keyboard and mouse on my 23" but I like to sit back on my couch with my xbox controller and play racing games (e.g Grid) on my 32". In Grid 2 you can just press ALT + Enter and it'll window the game but in the original Grid it wouldn't. If someone could help me that would be appreciated :thumb:

2. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

I have a similar setup, a 32" TV and a 28" monitor - if I want to game on the tv, I just make that the primary display and then the game will come up on that screen. when I'm done I change the primary display back to being my monitor.

3. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

I use UltraMon.

Set a profile for monitor only then another one for TV only. Set hot-keys for both. So if I were to use TV, I press the hot-keys and computer screen pops up on the TV. Only works before I start the game though, probably something to do with key capturing.

I'd be interested if there's more elegant way, even better, a way to mirror main monitor onto TV at a lower resolution? 2560x1440 mirror to 1080p? Ultramon can do this but it's not suitable for gaming because it's CPU re-encoding frames.

4. HeaverNothing

Cheers for the help, I'll download it and check it out :thumb:

5. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

I'm fairly sure that if you "Duplicate" in display settings, Windows will display both monitors at the lowest resolution (i.e. 1080p).

I can't see that there's a way to have one monitor at 1440p and a duplicate at 1080p without some form of re-encoding going on.

6. wyx087

I guess what I'm looking for is down sampling. This is something graphics card driver is able to do. For example you can set Crysis to run at 4k resolution and you get a crystal clear image at monitor resolution. Unfortunately I don't think this use case is popular enough for implementation.

That way, I can just switch TV input to computer and continue playing.

7. bigc90210

bigc90210 Teh C

you can use windows key+Shift+left and right to move fullscreen games from one monitor to another. i use this to spec blood bowl matches while playing diablo

8. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

Wait.. You can actually do that? :clap: Cheers mate, you just made my life a LOT easier! :thumb:

9. bigc90210

bigc90210 Teh C

you certainly can chap, works on windows 7 and 8+. One thing to note, when playing games in fullscreen windowed, it can sometimes think the mouse is still in the middle screen (i say middle because i have 3 monitors) but this is dependant on the game. as an example, i can play blood bowl fine on my middle monitor and diablo on the left, but if i do it the other way round (diablo in middle blood bowl on side) when i have the blood bowl window selected it doesnt recognise my mouse unless i move it onto the middle screen. Try it, most games work fine but some require a small amount of tweaking between fullscreen, fs windowed and windowed modes. either way its pretty cool though

HeaverNothing and Impatience like this.
  10. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

bigc, you sir has +rep! :thumb: I have a 15" Monitor and a 32" Tv.. So I doubt i'll have that issue with the three screens! :hehe:

11. bigc90210

bigc90210 Teh C

also, you may experience a minor issue moving games from 1 monitor to another that do not have the same resolutions, the normal effects are that if you move from a larger to a smaller is that the smaller one displays it windowed with a border, but moving it back fixes it. This can also be used to convince g/f's and wives etc that you need another monitor the same res as your highest res one....

12. adzc1987

adzc1987 Minimodder

I just have my HDMI on Duplicate, then use Steam Big Picture or my phone + gmote to act as mouse/keyboard.

Strangley, if i plug the GPU HDMI lead straight into the telly i cannot create another screen (2 on pc already) yet if i plug the HDMI into my AV receiver (quite a new purchase) it will allow 3 different screens? Anyone got any idea on whY?

13. HeaverNothing

Thank you! :rock:

14. wyx087

So I'll need to either:
    -upgrade TV to 2560x1440
    -upgrade both TV and monitor to 4k.....

hum......

great tip, many thanks!:clap: