1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How often do you change your coolant

Discussion in 'Watercooling' started by pistol_pete, 7 Feb 2014.

1. pistol_pete

pistol_pete Air Cooled Fool

As per the title really.

I've had the XSPC Eco coolant in my system for 3 years now, but I can't see any signs of discoloration, etc (it was clear coolant to start with though). The PVC pipes seem in good condition, perhaps a bit stiffer than they used to be and contracted slightly judging by the fact the water level has increased a little since I filled it up in 2011.

When do you recommend changing it? I've ordered another bottle of coolant anyway.

2. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

I use distilled water, Benzalkonium Chloride (anti-algae) and have just started using Ethylene Glycol (anti-corrosion) in my loops. I aim to change the water, flush out the loop/change the tubing and clean the CPU block around once a year.

The tubing may have got stiffer due to the plasticiser leaching out of it and if so there's the possibility that it's gunked up the CPU block. Normally when plasticiser leaches though it makes the tubing cloudy.

3. Tattysnuc

Tattysnuc Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

Ahhhhh! (Penny drop moment)

this is what I've found! Thanks for the explanation. :) Is there any way to prevent this, and any tips of removing said gunk from CPU (and other) blocks?

Apols for thread hi-jack

4. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I don't WC any more, but when I did I never changed the coolant in 6 years and it was in tip top condition when I disassembled it.

The coolant? Zalman ZM-G200, hardy the most celebrated concoction in the enthusiast world but it worked a treat in my loop, even through various block changes.

5. Big Elf

The best way to be sure the gunk is removed from the CPU block is to dismantle it and scrub it off with a toothbrush.

There is a product called Sysclean that can be used if the whole loop is badly gunked up but it's a very aggressive lime scale remover and not intended to stay on the loop for more than an hour. Primochill released this product following numerous complaints after they released a bad batch of tubing.

There's inconclusive evidence to suggest that water temps in the loop above 30-35ºC increase the rate of plasticiser release.

Primochill market 'Advanced LRT' as containing less plasticiser and less prone to clouding up, however it is stiffer than other tubing. Although I have some of the Advanced LRT tubing I've not used it yet. There is Tygon tubing that doesn't contain plasticiser but I can't remember the product number but it is expensive.

6. Tattysnuc

Tattysnuc Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

Many thanks for the advice - I can;t even leave you rep as you were the last person I +rep'ed when you bought the i7 980 off me :)

Last edited: 9 Feb 2014
  7. B NEGATIVE

B NEGATIVE All Hail Kim Jong Magoo!

Every 2 years whether it needs it or not for my current rig.

Copper tube is indeed.....Cheesecake.

If you dont want plasticizer then consider Norprene tube.

8. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

lol when i can see through the water any more... No really, if its still clear its good to go

9. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

PS if you want to clean you loop run pinesol through it pine oil is a natural disinfectant and cleaner does a great job.

10. Big Elf

Unfortunately Pinesol isn't available in the UK at a sensible price and I haven't been able to find a similar product.

11. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I use Fluorinert, so I never have to change it. :)

12. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

I usually change it when I upgrade every 6-12 months. I use filtered tap water, and nothing seems to grow in my loop.

13. B NEGATIVE

Who uses Fluorinert?

Novec 649 is a better,less damaging fluid.

[​IMG]

14. Nexxo

Sme Perfluorcarbons are indeed very unkind to plastics, but not all of them are. Fluorinert is inert, so does not react with, thus damage, anything. I've had it in my loop for nearly a decade now, no worries. :)

Still, Novec 649 is just as good. A little birdie tells me you may be looking to part with these two litres you got there. How much? :D

15. B NEGATIVE

I was thinking more about the environment....

Pm me about teh fluid?

16. Nexxo

Valid concern. Fluorinert evaporates at room temperature. The data sheet says that it is not harmful to breathe in the vapour, although it advocates working with it in a ventilated area. It does not burn but when exposed to fire the resulting fumes are considered more harmful. Either way I wouldn't want to throw it down the drain (especially not at its cost! :eeek: ).

17. soxism

soxism What's a Dremel?

Gezz your Brave. you must have very good quality Tap water where ever you are.

I Use distilled water + Silver. Been running this build for about 2 years, before that 2-ish years. Never had any problems until last month when i've noticed a massive build up of plasticiser. But i attribute that to the age of the tubing being 3-4 years old, with water running in these for about 2 years.

18. B NEGATIVE

Its not cheap,not wrong there.
    Fluorocarbons kill baby seals tho,I saw it on the internet.........in my Saudi drifters playlist

19. HawkeSolaris

HawkeSolaris What's a Dremel?

Sorry to hi-jack, but to me the general theme here is to treat your coolant like you treat your teeth- check up on it every 6 months with the dentist? :)

20. rts2468

rts2468 What's a Dremel?

I always do a pre-treatment. To flush out all debris in the radiator, reservoir, blocks etc. After that You are safe to use your coolant up to a year before the liquid starts breaking down and looses its ability to hold the transfer of heat from the blocks to the radiators.