1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project "Slim Jim"

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Redd13, 3 Aug 2012.

1. Redd13

Redd13 What's a Dremel?

Well after watching everyones amazing work i couldnt resist any longer, and being quite mechanically skilled and over enthusiastic i dived into my first scratch built machine!

First let me avoid all the started stuff. Im a victim of the modern world and only have a 2-3mb "broadband" connection so im not gonna hammer this log of photos... I know you guys all kno what a box of parts looks likeand to be honest.. i couldnt leave them in the boxes long enough to take pictures!

so instead i'll just say its pretty much the Pc buyers guide enhusiast from a few months ago.
    I bought a g620 and Max 4 gene-z in preparation for ivybridge. and love the gtx560ti.

[​IMG]

but ive been starting at the parts for years thinking... how small a box can you pack the normal gamer pc parts into? - thats the purpose of this build...

Oh and somewhere along i got drawn in to watercooling it too!

i hope you enjoy my journey...

YEHBABY likes this.
  2. Redd13

Redd13 What's a Dremel?

OK so next step i spent weeks on autocad, drawing layouts and measuring compnants.... the riser cable was my key player since laying the gpu over suggested i could pack all that magic into a space less than 10cm thick.

Now i have to point out, that airflow was not high on my list... a foolish mistake but one that has since waorked itself out...

I knew that the only real chance of this working was to get the componants and build around them. trying to run a gaming pc hald built was stupid of me, and looking at it now the risk to compnants was way too high! the next build will happen alongside...

but after alot of measuring and more drawing... my test mounting plate was done and i was able to lay things out for the first time and see where things were going....

More to follow soon!

[​IMG]

so you see a Gene-z m-board, i5-3750k, zotac gtx560ti, G0skill ripjaw kit all nested with a fab EK water cooling kit and heatkiller gpu block.

water cooling scares the crap out of me! so much so that i skipped water completely (with visions of dripping sparks and smoke) and went for Feser 1 non-conductive coolant instead.

The complete build gave me a far clearly picture of the parts more difficult to size... like waterblocks and wire routes.

Oh yea the psu is just sat behind too... cos every planned position i had for it... seemed to fill up with the other parts...

3. Redd13

Redd13 What's a Dremel?

So after some protoyping and concept flaws... (lots of curves not forming nicely) things came together in a more refined plan... a case made of layers.... varying thicknesses of plastic that combine as a structure holding the componants (you'll get this when you see it)

from the last photo i wasnt happy with the space that the radiator took up... so since it was going to stay up i re-orientate it. and with the holes matching up like i hoped... it was onto the construction stage.

Note here that i really couldnt get my head around the backpanel so i decided... who needs that!

My design revolved around a pair of aluminium plates holding the expensive stuff... then an acrylic setup holding the rest together....

So now to construction! of which i had access to a laser cutting machine!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

- there's the layers i was talking about! (clear 10 was seperation, black 5 was mounting, and 3 was aluminium plate clearence)

and after some clue and patience....

[​IMG]

next the parts go in! - Soon

4. Vetalar

Vetalar *learning english*

am i only one who can't see pics?

5. Blarte

Blarte Moderate Modder

I cannot see / view photos Vetalar ..

6. Redd13

Redd13 What's a Dremel?

that better? had the album on private... ?

7. Blarte

Blarte Moderate Modder

yes ..can see them now. Glad I looked again ! ..

8. Redd13

Redd13 What's a Dremel?

thanks, will try and dig out the concept sketches im going for

9. Redd13

Redd13 What's a Dremel?

heres some cad plans...

[​IMG]

here i was designing the outside...

[​IMG]

and here's a 3d model with slats for sides...

10. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Very nice mate, compact and very well laid out.

11. Redd13

Redd13 What's a Dremel?

was a rough weekend, of drinking and birthdays... and ive made an important discovery... wires are evil...

However despite wires best attempts to erode my sanity... things are looking good. old psu has been replaced by much mod-friendlier Silverstone strider sfx 450....

and after painful hours, and occasional leaks...

[​IMG]

now at this stage lots of small issues like piping layouts and wire arrangements... tight layouts are fun like that.

[​IMG]

(the white print is protective tape)

heres the current step in all its glory....
    Yup its running, and althought the zotac gets a little toasty in dead island its fine else where... Here you can see a half and half loop, but ive since converted to straight through for better flow.

The twin ssd's sit snugly in a back recess... (pics to follow)
    have a scythe slim fan to sit over the cpu for some air flow.
    have sopme small brackets to put together to reinforce the parts placement... and then a smokey black cover over the top... with cutout vents.

12. Stem83

Stem83 Addicted to modding.

Looks pretty good to be honest, for such a tight fit. You going to be sleeving those wires? even though they are everywhere it would help them look part of the build.

Looking forward to seeing more.

13. Redd13

Redd13 What's a Dremel?

Thanks!

sleeve or maybe a folded cover, havent decided yet... a modern car cover that slips between the parts and hides all the wires would be quite nice... (runs back to cad)

14. Hask

Hask What's a Dremel?

Looks great.

15. Redd13

Redd13 What's a Dremel?

Thanks!

16. Redd13

Redd13 What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

heres the back...
    need to sort those brackets next, psu mount and pump seats!

Livio likes this.
  17. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Very very nice, can't wait to see it finished.

You could almost Open-Source the Design of this case because it's all plate work...

18. Redd13

Redd13 What's a Dremel?

thanks and thats not a bad idea...

wasnt very fun trying to sort the dimensions and if it helps others i may well tidy the dxfs and find somewhere to host them when im done with the build...

19. Stem83

Stem83 Addicted to modding.

Ohhh if u r planning to make a full cover fot the build then u wont see the wires... so why sleeve right? What about if u stylishly placed some small window sections like over the SSD's and the back of the cpu socket lighted, and the same on the other side on the cpu area. then you dont see the crammed nature of this nice build but u still get to see goodies.

Not that builds have to have windows... but we all love a good window. hehe

Interested to see where you go next and the final look. nice cramming.

20. Redd13

Redd13 What's a Dremel?

well im gonna have a fan mounted over the cpou waterblock for the DRM heatsinks...
    and vents along the top so that air flows in the bottom and is drawn out by the psu (Gotta reverse that fan)

The material that im gonna use for the cover is partially transparent, hopefully it will look black when off.. but with some LEDs on the inside it should light up when on....

Although i have no problem with wires personally if i sleeve and lock them in position somehow then i should be less tempted to mess with this one after its done.. and just work on the next lol

But if the dark material doesnt work the way i want then its windows for sure!

Last edited: 7 Aug 2012