1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

There is an "edit" button!!!

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by perplekks45, 10 Jun 2009.

1. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I saw this slowly creeping into the forums within the last few months and I find it extremely annoying.
    Maybe I'm the only one but I just have to rant about it.

It happens mainly with new members, though you can see the odd 1k+ poster do it as well. I mean, it's not that hard is it? 1 click. If that's too much to ask then I don't know what to do.

What I'm talking about is the multi-post mania going on at the moment. I double-post every now and then, by accident, and I always delete the second one and if I changed anything I just update the first post.
    Lately I've seen lots of people posting 3-5 posts in a row when they could've easily just used the edit button.
    I don't want to start a war but it happens quite often with people who came over here from CPC. Maybe they didn't have an edit button, maybe nobody cared over there or maybe I'm just being an ass about it. But it really annoys the hell out of me!
    I just think that there should be simple rules like editing instead of posting twice or more, no advertising, no flaming/insults/racism/etc and a couple more. While the admins/mods take good care of the forums I see more and more people double-/triple-/quadruple-post and I just can't stand it.

We all need time to adjust to the rules and maybe people don't know about the edit button or just aren't used to using it but if it has never happened as much as in recent weeks. I just want to keep a certain level of "culture" on these forums and for me these things are not helping.

Rant over, comments please.

murtoz likes this.
  2. RTT

RTT #parp

I often clean this up, so you are not alone in your annoyance.

Another pet peeve is quoting a massive post and then adding a one line reply which only applies to a specific part of the post (if that makes sense). Please don't do this, folks!

3. perplekks45

Thanks for reminding me:

Quoting picture-heavy posts also gets quite annoying for people, like me, who are stuck on mobile broadband or really bad connections.

4. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

how to delete the contents of a superpost:

when you click on the 'quote button', you get something like this:

[ QUOTE=perplekks45;2010416]Thanks for reminding me:
    Quoting picture-heavy posts also gets quite annoying for people, like me, who are stuck on mobile broadband or really bad connections.[/QUOTE]​

you can safely replace the bold part with a word like 'snip' or '...' or a short description of the post : 'about the picture heavy posts'

[ QUOTE=perplekks45;2010416]Thanks for reminding me:
    Quoting picture-heavy posts also gets quite annoying for people, like me, who are stuck on mobile broadband or really bad connections.
    [/QUOTE]​

and here is how it looks like on the forum if you replaced it with '...'(without apostrophes)

cheers, alpaca

5. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

I confess, I'm guilty of doing this occasionally in my logs. It's mostly because I like to interact with the readers more than anything instead of just posting my updates and that's it. Personally, I find those kinds of logs boring as all-hell like a robot posted it, lol. I like replying to people's posts, etc., but then I'll post a new log update right afterward if I have it ready.

*sniffs armpit* I hope I don't oh-ffend, guys! :worried:

6. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

[​IMG] <--- Multi-Quote!

7. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

LOL, is that for me, CapnPedro? If it is, I do mutli-quote (of course). :) I meant I tend to log in with the intention of posting a log update but find replies to the log itself, so I respond to those posts first. Then, I'll go ahead and post my update.

But this is all common-sense as far as I'm concerned. Posting a one-line post one after another is just... well, I'll refrain from using the language explaining the absurdity of it all. :lol:

8. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

I agree, I hate double, triple, quadruple, pentuple post

9. capnPedro

Just making sure you knew!

To be honest, I don't even notice double posts, I recognise people by their avatar (FFS relix and owls!) rather than their name, so I get that information with my peripheral vision.

10. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Me too!!!!! I hate when 2 or more people have the same avatar, it confuses me. Also I try not to change my avatar too much, I think I've only changed it 3 time since I joined Bit

11. perplekks45

Thanks to whoever gave me rep. :thumb: :)

12. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Yeah I agre.

13. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Whoops I spelt agree wrong. :D

Tim S and smc8788 like this.
  14. capnPedro

Epic lulz.

15. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

it's seems to be krikkit's mission to clean all of these up. i'm constantly seeing "last edited by : krikkit. reason: don't double post" at the bottom of people's posts.

16. perplekks45

And he's right.

Give him some rep when you see him. ;)

17. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

I'm not really sure that's the case. At least, I seem to see it from the seasoned bit-tech regulars as much as the former CPC members, and I don't think it happened any more over on the CPC forums (in fact, if anything, it probably happened less. And yes, we did have an edit button ;)).

It's not like we need house training or anything; most of us are well trained in forum etiquette :thumb:

18. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I'd give some rep, but I'm getting told to spread the love first.

perplekks45 likes this.
  19. Tim S

Tim S OG

I agree with the topic of this thread.

And I finally worked out how to multi-quote! w00t

20. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Thank you. Double posts rack me off a lot, so I try and merge whenever possible. :)

I've just figured Multiquote out too Tim, that's really clever. :D