1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU Audio Jacks as Modular Connectors

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TheAbyssDragon, 13 Sep 2009.

1. TheAbyssDragon

TheAbyssDragon Gafgarion

I'm adapting a 180W 1U power supply to be a DC backbone for a couple components, including a PicoPSU.

What I would like to do is remove all the psu's wires and insert 3 or 4 female 1/4" (3.5mm) audio jacks (ala Orac3). Then create a couple of custom cables which have a male audio jack on one end, and the necessary DC plug on the other.

Before I get into the nitty gritty, I'd like to hear opinions on two matters:
    • First, I can't decide if I want to use TRS (3 contact) or TRRS (4 contact) connectors; in other words, I'm not sure if I want to maintain the two ground wires typically present in a power supply, or combine them into one.
    • Second, what order should I place each wire on the connector? This may be irrelevant, since hot swapping will be impossible; due to the nature of audio jacks, you can't insert or remove one without shorting adjacent contacts.

Thanks for any input!

2. Bbq.of.DooM

Bbq.of.DooM Custom User Title

bad idea. if you inevitably pull one of the connectors out while the psu is on (will happen, believe me), it will short out, and then shut down, if you're lucky. I'd suggest going with XLR plugs instead.

If you insist on TRS or TRRS though, go with the TRS. It doesnt' really matter what order they go in, as long as they are all the same orientation. In audio though, the ground is the sleeve, which corresponds to the largest part on the back. go ahead and combine them.

3. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Wetsander

I second the bad idea vote. I'm using for my modular PSU design 4-pin DIN connectors, the older brother of the XLR design. The only thing I'm using audio connectors for is the 3.3v line for the fifth wire on the SATA plugs. So the audio plugs will only carry 1 voltage and no ground.

4. TheAbyssDragon

TheAbyssDragon Gafgarion

I'm not too worried about accidentally removing them, since the psu will be inside a case. However, I will look into alternative options.

I received my power supply from Newegg and after removing the shell, I realize how little room I have. I think I'll be forced to move the modular system external to the supply, either inline female connectors or a small project box.