1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Assetto Corsa

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Plastic_Manc, 30 Dec 2014.

1. Plastic_Manc

Plastic_Manc Minimodder

I picked this up last week on Steam and was wondering if anyone has spent any time with it?

From my initial hours with it, it's a lovely looking game that is brutally hard at times. I haven't played a proper "sim" for years as I got into GRID and it's terribly unforgiving in comparison. It's also very apparent that I'll continue to be awful at it until I drop the 360 controller and pick up a wheel as smooth lines are definitely quicker than getting your *rse end out around the corners.

Also wondered if people were getting slow down in FPS in multiplayer? My rig is just updated so should be killing this (especially as I'm 1680x1050) regardless of the amount of opposition on track and I'm wired Virgin Media 150mb broadband.

2. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

you can extend the game further by downloading mod cars which are fan made, hugely highly recommended.
    http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/categories/ac-cars.6/
    and tracks.

I personally commissioned a concept car to be created by a professional team so hope to see it available soon, when I saw it online I knew it needed to be brought alive in AC. They have promised by the 31st but I have told them to take their time, once the super car is done I want to commission a car to fight vs the mod Shelbry Cobra 427 which is easily the best mod made to date, so good they purchased the license from the author to include it in AC proper.

You need a wheel and pedals of that there is no mistake at all, and ideally a DK2, I prefer to play on the normal screen some times with the track ir.

3. Plastic_Manc

Plastic_Manc Minimodder

A strong mod community was appealing after a quick peek at some reviews so I've already picked up the Nordschleife and Donnington Park from the community. DK2 is going to have to wait as looking for a new monitor (this game is leading me towards picking up a 21:9) then a wheel and pedals.

Would you recommend any wheel/pedal sets as there seems to be a leap from the G27 to some awesome stuff from Fanatec and Thrustmaster that's way too much of a commitment, but nothing much in between?

4. Marvin-HHGTTG

Marvin-HHGTTG CTRL + SHIFT + ESC

G27 is fine for most/all. Some of the Fanatec stuff is affordable enough though.

5. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

I originally had the g27 (for some time) and its really nice, I enjoyed using it but the step up from it to the t500rs is huge its a completely new and better experience.

The t500 has enough force (when mounted properly) to break your wrists / arm, I have it set on like 60 %

If I was starting again I would not hesitate getting the g27, the g27 has been used by no1 online iracing champs etc, so that tells you some thing about it.

One thing I can say about the g27 is that I had to follow along a Russian guys video of how to open the wheel and reseat the positional sensor, after a few years the screws lossen, and you need to get into the unit and tighten them back up, If you get a g27 used (which I did a refurbed unit) keep this video in your book marks in case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKkqlrUHel4

that's an awesome video and I am thankful for that guy doing that routine, the screw inside my g27 just needed a few rotations.

I say get the g27, and upgrade in time, I don't know enough about the lower end Fanatec stuff I know they do dedicated base units and then the sky is the limit, all custom BMW and F1 wheels.

If money was no object I would still keep the t500rs because its that good, its really really nice wheel but I would get a super dulux Fanatec unit with those clubsport 2 pedals I used to always hear people talking about all the time.

You can get crazy customized pedal sets even better than Fanatec as well.

I vote get the g27 and spend a year reading about stuff and putting just a few quid a way every month towards a full on t500 set up in 5 to 10 months.

6. Marvin-HHGTTG

IMO this Fanatec bundle is about the same price and is better than the T500: http://www.fanatec.com/eu-en/module/configurator;bundle_id;3

The CSR Elite pedals are where Fanatec take a big step up from both the G27 and T500 with the load cell brake, and while the H pattern/SQ shifters aren't great they're basically free in this bundle, the T500's isn't included and is a £100 option. The wheel itself is excellent too with easily accessed profiles which can move you from a sensitivity for arcadey games like Grid to simulators like AC with a few quick button presses - they're stored in the wheel too so can be switched during a game without issue too.

The advantage with the Fanatec is easier bit-by-bit upgrading if necessary, plus the CSR Wheel is also compatible with the last gen consoles if GT6 or Forza tickles your fancy too. Having said that, Logitech and Thrustmaster have better/bigger budgets to be directly produced for/have in game marketing so often have more/better compatibility in console games.

The thing for me I guess is that the G27 isn't that much cheaper (at least the last time I looked) so it's just worth getting something that's a little better and has better expandability straight away.

EDIT: Oh, just seen the G27 is £150 at PCW, in that case it's a bit of a no-brainer as it's that much cheaper it's good value. In fairness I think you can switch the pedals (the worst element) out at a later date without an issue too.

Last edited: 31 Dec 2014
  7. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

The G27 won't work on the new consoles, well certainly not on the PS4, I'm not 100% on the Xbone.

8. wiggles

wiggles Minimodder

Hmm, tempted by this.

Would my old Microsoft Wheel work with this?

Is this game better than going for one of the other online racers?

9. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

A friend lent me his G27 last night, and holy hell.

Going from 'gamer' (Using a Ps3 pad) to 'Pro' settings is a bit of a shock.

still, got 11 seconds off my Monza time.

10. Marvin-HHGTTG

It should work fine as it supports manual axis setups and multiple controllers etc, so I would hope that it would be fine.

I think Assetto Corsa is all about the handling of the cars - they're all incredibly well detailed and challenging in their own right. I do enjoy the multiplayer, but it's drop-in-leave as opposed to properly setup leagues that you may find elsewhere - so it depends what you're after.

11. SMIFFYDUDE

A Microsoft wheel will work with a bit of tinkering.

Assetto Corsa in its current state is more about hot lapping than racing. You can race but there are no flag rules yet and a stupid penalty system which kind of ruins things. The game still feels more like early access than a proper release.

12. Plastic_Manc

Plastic_Manc Minimodder

My take on the game is that it's got a lot going for it but is probably going to take a year to get where many want it. It certainly lacks the polish and production in terms of setting you goals and managing your development.

However, I went into this knowing it was a sim so understood I kind of needed to make my own fun. The main thing I like about it so far is I am genuinely pumped when I put in a good lap as I know it's taken a bit of work to get there due to how unforgiving it is. The main negative reviews i've seen have been about it not generating much content and that's mainly going to come down to the individual as not many can fault the physics side of things. We know how well the rail FPS's sell at the end of the day.

I don't online game that much any more as Eve kind of broke me in terms of gaming not being fun anymore but I really have enjoyed some of the online races I've had so far.

13. iancowell

iancowell Minimodder

where is the best place to get mods for cars and tracks? looking for the mclaren mp4/4

14. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

Race Department is where i get mine from.

15. SMIFFYDUDE

The game and most the DLC are on sale at the moment on Steam, a new Japanese car pack has just been released too.

16. iancowell

iancowell Minimodder

having a bit of a problem with this game at moment, when i get to car selection and track selection and then click go it starts loading then returns back to selection screen, doesnt matter what car etc i try and use it always does the same, anyone got any ideas as to getting this sorted??

thanks in advance

17. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Check your video settings - I sometimes have that when the screen size settings are incorrect within AC.

18. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

it'll be this. the UI and the game are 2 separate programs as such

19. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

I bought Pcars 3 weeks ago for £13. Then I had to buy a wheel because I'd sold my Fanatec porsche in 2014.

Bought T300RS.

Made a friend a mine buy Pcars and a G27.

Pcars now works with my Vive. The Assetto dev is working on HTC support.

No wet weather racing with Corsa.

20. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

pretty big news then that thrustmaster will be releasing a dirrect drive wheel.. thats pretty sick news like wow..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]