1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs The downside to cheap storage

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 17 May 2013.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Been hdd free here in my rig for a few years, an external hdd usb is enough for me if i want to save a large quantity of files.

Currently up to a 250gb ssd which is more than enough, tbh i only moved the 128gb ssd out to put it in my laptop.

3. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

I had an SSD a few years ago but it broke, so had to go back to my old HDD, but a few months ago I picked up a 60GB SSD for about 40 quid and that's now in my main PC. Windows 7 uses half of that, then my BF3 install uses pretty much the rest, I had had to not install one of the expansions because I don't have enough space, its ok though, I don't like that particular expansion.
    I also have starcraft2 and Sim City 5 installed, but these are installed on a 64GB USB 3 key that I may have acquired from work. These games actually run fine from the USB stick.
    I am planning my next PC build now ready to order in September/October depending on certain product releases and will be getting a bigger SSD. Maybe also make the step to watercooling for a very quiet PC.

4. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

One of the very few still running ? :lol:

5. Jaffo

Jaffo What's a Dremel?

Clicks of death aside, I've always quite liked the noise mechanical hard drives make, going all the way back to the my first, a 20MB Amiga A590.

Using a 120GB SSD now for boot and apps, with a 1TB HDD for games etc. Don't think I'll be changing anytime soon; my Steam folder alone is over 400GB at the moment!

:S

6. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

I've got a crazy collection of three harddrives (one 2.5" one because I accidentally ordered the wrong one) and one SSD, with stuff spread across them in no kind of order.
    I might have to pick up one large harddrive for storage, which will be set to sleep when it's not being used, and a large SSD for things that I'm not running off my main (windows) SSD, eg Steam.

Then I can add to the pile of unused harddrives on my shelf.

7. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Same here - I was amazed today to notice that my D:\ drive was over 700GB (I could have sworn it was only about 500GB)... I really need to have a sort through and delete some stuff...

8. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

I have an epic collection of hdds from when I was 12 in the early 90s first was for my Amiga. Old IDE an scsi drives I just have because I can't be arsed dumping them. At the mo I am using 12 drives via sata to USB dock for diff things.

Also have a few iomega jazz and zip carts with thier clicky drives they were awesome back in the day

9. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

Get a NAS for storage.... using SSDs for storage in pursuit of sound levels is about as dumb as it gets!

10. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Still having a single 160GB 7200rpm HDD in my main rig :D. All data are stored on my Synology NAS (2x 1TB in mirroring). I'm listing pieces to build a new rig to replace my aging and power hungry Q6600 and will move to a 128GB SSD and passive PSU (only need the IGP).

The NAS was my best buy since 2008. It is small, efficient and fast enough for pictures, movies and music storage. Even use it as an svn repository.

11. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Will be a till I go SSD only in my PC, will have to get a NAS to store all of my media, and even then will have to buy another SSD or two.

Quite a few other upgrades have higher priority right now.

12. Tynecider

Tynecider Since ZX81

I now use 2x 60GB SSD RAID0 for boot drive and 2x 120GB RAID0 SSD for games/profile.

I have an external esata spinner (Caviar Black) that has my ghost images of the boot drive and a folder structure with a copies of the games/profiles installed. This is for my desktop and laptops.

If anything goes wrong on the boot array, Its about 15 mins to rebuild the array and restore the image.
    If anything goes wrong on the games/profiles array, It takes about an hour to rebuild the array and copy over the data.

For a complete system failure on both arrays I rekon I could restore the system in an hour and a half comfortably (with tea and biscuits)

Images are updated every month as well as any game/profile data.

Hassle free SSD RAID with a quick recovery option, Worked fine for me for years ;-)

Can't see me moving to SSD's for my backup drives anytime soon, Maybe when the price is REALLY low, It would speed up the data transfer!!

13. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

I'll need quite a large SSD to be able to ditch my HDD. If I backup most of my steam catalogue onto the NAS I should be able to fit everything on a 500GB SSD.

The 200+ GB of NEF/RAF photos are the issue ^^

14. RinSewand

RinSewand What's a Dremel?

Interesting article - sadly not something I can take entirely to heart due to photography. Out of interest what software did you use to find duplicates? I like the sound of something functional to do that.

15. rollo

rollo Modder

My steam folder was approaching 600gb at last check so its not just a big video collection that needs space and that's with half the program's uninstalled.

Pure ssd for me will always be a push. Native 1080p video is 200-300 gb not encoded for the work I do. Don't see 1tb ssds hitting £30-£40 anytime soon.

16. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Erm you should all just do what I've done - SSD for main boot drive, and then use 2.5" mechanical hard drives for storage - they are almost silent, low power and of course, fine for media. I have the rest of my Steam Collection on a 500GB 7200rpm 2.5" drive - problem solved!

17. exceededgoku

exceededgoku What's a Dremel?

How about both?

I don't have much data, but currently run my main OS on a 6x128GB RAID0 SSD but set the partition at 500GB for a large overprovisioning space.

I also have 2 x 3TB WD Red HDDs for all the big stuff (like movies, etc.).

All games and programs are installed on the SSD RAID.

On the SSDs' I'm using about 30-40% of the 500GB space, and on the 3TB drives I'm using about 100MB on one and 200GB on the other.

I have so much space I don't know what to do with it, although I'm the kind of person that likes to have spare capacity... Just because!

18. exceededgoku

exceededgoku What's a Dremel?

Oh and sorry I have a 1TB Backup drive that takes incremental backups of the SSD RAID daily in case the RAID fails (although it's been running now for around 3-4 months with no issues).

19. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I don't use SSDs or HDDs in my rig. Punch cards and wax cylinders are the future ;)

G0UDG likes this.
  20. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

I upgraded to cassette tapes some years ago, take the leap man you'll never look back!

Until I had to move my computer to my bedroom the linux install booted across the network and the windows machine only held applications and XP. Since moving the computer my wifi is too slow use use the network as an external hard disk so its back to big drive and as mentioned above photography takes a surprising amount of disk space. I miss you gigabit...

Tags: Add Tags