1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Origin - why you anger me?

Discussion in 'Software' started by AlienwareAndy, 16 Jun 2013.

1. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

OK so I have an issue with Origin that is really pissing me off..

Steam ? now that I love. Basically if I have to reinstall Windows (which I do a lot given I'm a hobbyist reviewer/tinkerer) all I need to do is download the Steam installer, point it to my Steam DIR and bingo bongo ! all of my lovely games are immediately detected and ready for me to play (well, after any initial DX bits).

Origin? why are you such a hateful bile spilling pile of cack?

I download the Origin installer, point it to my Origin install folder.. None of my games are detected, leaving me to download 40gbs of them to get them back in there. It's OK with Crysis 3, NFS : The Run and BFBC2 as I have the media, but BF3 came by ways of a code that I got free with a GPU.

So does any one know a way to get it to see the data, rather than forcing me to download it all again? or, should I just buy the media?

This is the biggest reason why I haven't removed my optical drive (well, that and the fact that games are much cheaper on Amazon as hard copies which is kinda stupid).

I'm really getting to the point where I'm just going to remove Origin and hack all of my games with no dvd or whatever just so I don't have to keep continually downloading them :(

2. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Modder

There's a backup/restore guide on the Origin forums, not sure if it's any use though or if you have the files in the format that is described below.

mikeyandrewb and boiled_elephant like this.
  3. AlienwareAndy

Hmm. I have several drives in my PC so I'll try that.

Thanks !

4. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Repped for useful informations, I think I'll be writing this down somewhere.

5. AlienwareAndy

No folder called Disk1. Bummer.

6. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Modder

There's another guide here.

Basically start the download so it creates the folder structure then copy your stuff in and restart Origin.

7. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

I've re-done my origin folder several times , like CrazyJoe suggested.

install origin, start download, close origin, copy in your back-up game folders, restart origin .. and away you go.

8. AlienwareAndy

Yeah that sounds like a winner :D

Cheers !

9. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

weird I just installed origin and cope the entire Origingames files into the origingames folder. then either reload my games or reboot my PC works ever time for me. (yeah even for BF3 but I do sort out my divers correctly and windows update) Win7 is a B@&$! if you do not install SP1 correctly and .net origin uses .net so this is a requirement. (most ppl forget that)

sometimes is says downloading the first time but you can see by the speed and i got a 100mb Internet connection that its actually verifying the data and not downloading.

10. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

You know, I don't remember if I even tried such a simple fix when I've done it MSHunter, I may have justa assumed it'd have been made tricky that I automatically googled for a solution - Think I may have assumed it would have been awkward, as it's EA.

11. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

yeah had to do this recently when I got win8, mad the classic mistake of trying upgrade option instead of fresh install, naturally nothing worked well, at least new AAA games. did the win8 complete reset and installed the win8 GPU drivers now everything except RA2 works 100%

12. boiled_elephant

Hey, speaking of which, I tried to reinstall BF:BC2 on Steam just now on my fresh installation of Windows. It said my product key had already been used (well, duh - I used it on my last installation!)

I googled it and apparently, when reinstalling, your only option is to contact Origin tech support directly and get them to unlock your key.

So, not even like GTA4's horrible DRM that forced you to download a utility and generate unlock codes - this one actually won't give you back your game until you call tech support. No, really.

I tried to log in to my Origin account along the way (thinking I might have more options from in there) and got this:

[​IMG]

I then tried to get onto tech support and was presented with this:

[​IMG]

This is simply retarded. I have no other word for it.

13. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

I can see this method messing up

This is the method I would use and have successfully for about 15 Win7 re-installs.
    The only extra thing I do is rather than close Origin I pause the download first. Then close. Copy stuff over. Open. Re-initiate download. Then it verifies game data integrity so it knows what to download. Finds everything up to par. Job done.

Why are you installing SP1 separately and not using an MSDN slipstream?

Weren't you able to use the same folder copy method for BC2?

Last edited: 22 Jun 2013
  14. boiled_elephant

I'm installing via Steam. I used the folder copy method (always do when reinstalling Steam) but I guess it's seen too many different CPUs now, or something. So I'm stuffed; I can't get my BFBC2 back, other than by waiting half an hour in a queue and then pleading with an EA employee to relinquish it to me.

**** EA. Just **** 'em. At least when Steam have invasive, rights-curbing DRM, it works.

15. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

Seems like you've activated on too many installations without de-activating it before. You get something like 10 activations.

16. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Modder

Just login to your EA account when you open BC2 and it works, did for me anyway on multiple systems. You don't need to enter your cd key at any point, like you say, it won't work since it's been used.

That's how it works for me anyway...

17. boiled_elephant

When I log in, it asks me for mine, and then says it's already been used. It's been on about 4 different installations of Windows, that I can recall.

18. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Modder

Have you tied your key to the Origin client? Maybe it checks if the game is registered to your account when you login.

19. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

this means you regged the game under a different email. try all your old email addresses. Really try them all especially the ones that you nolonger use. either that or you misspelled you Email when regging the game. then you need to contact support of course.

20. boiled_elephant

Today I just tried the same one in-game as before and it worked :confused:

Swear to christ, I did everything exactly the same. Origin profile page is now working too, but doesn't give you any info about games tied to the account.

Anyway, BFBC2 doesn't show up in my Origin client. I guess you can only have the game tied to one platform?