1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays TV (TX32LXD70) as a monitor - resolution issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by james-milligan, 30 Jul 2011.

1. james-milligan

james-milligan Minimodder

After looking around on the internet I have not really been able to find an answer to my question so I am hoping I can find some help here.
    I have just connected my TV up to my computer and my TV can output in 1080p (1920×1080) yet when I connect it to my computer the maximum resolution I can seem to output is 1280x1024. Surely there must be a way to output my TV at 1920x1080 if it is capable of this resolution? Or am I missing something with differences between TV's and monitors?
    My TV is a Panasonic Viera (TX32LXD70) and my graphics card is a MSI GTX560-Ti and they are connected with a VGA cable (with a DVI to VGA adapter on the graphics card)

2. Kemp

Kemp Minimodder

Isn't VGA resolution-limited? I remember DVI being required past a certain resolution because VGA connectors/cables/transmission format weren't specced to be run so high back when it was all invented.

3. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

VGA can run at 1080p with no issues. I would go into Nvidia control panel and try and create a custom resolution. I would give you more help, but I'm on my laptop, and I don't have a Nvidia GPU on it to search through the control panel. It's easier to explain, when you got it in front of you.

Cheers,

Simon.

4. james-milligan

I'm not sure. That could be the issue. Unfortunately I don't have any DVI cables in the house and there is a bit of a design fail between my case (Xigmatek Utgard) and the graphics card and mini-HDMI to HDMI adapter. The adapter is too wide and if you try to put it into the graphics card, the edge of the expansion slot cover area is too close to the mini-HDMI port and the adapter wont fit in. Would it be a bad idea to try and carefully trim down the side of the plastic on the adapter so it would be thin enough to fit in?

5. james-milligan

Ok, thanks Simon. Should I try 1920x1080 at 60Hz with colour depth of 32 and progressive scan type? Is that the normal?

6. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Yes, that is the norm for modern day TV's.

7. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

VGA has no resolution limit. However, longer the wire, or higher the resolution, the image looses picture quality FAST.
    1920x1080/1920x1200 won't provide a nice smooth super sharp text as DVI, or VGA at 1280x1200 let's say.

Going high resolution, then colors are visible wrong compared to DVI, and text is fuzzy. Unless maybe you go for a 1inch long VGA to try and compensate, and even then.

8. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

The better the quality cable, the more stable the bandwidth.

9. penryn 2 hertz

penryn 2 hertz I'm not a science fiction writer...

you would be better with dvi to hdmi cable i use one for my 26" hd lcd tv with no problems

10. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

I also use one when connecting to my TV.

11. james-milligan

Ok, thanks for your help. I tryed changing the resolution in NVIDIA control panel but apparently that resolution isn't supported by my display. Maybe I will purchase one of these DVI to HDMI cables.

12. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

that normally means the tv isn't communicating with your pc correctly so the pc uses default settings and wont allow others

13. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Open up the case and loosen the PCI slot screws that hold it in place, then very gently press the card into the correct posistion as you tighten the screws up. I've had this issue with a couple of cards, its the action of the screws that draws the cards in a direction :)

14. rv88uk

rv88uk What's a Dremel?

A quick google suggested the TX32LXD70 has a native resolution of 1366 x 768, it seems to accept 1080p via hdmi then downscale. I may have been looking at the wrong tv but perhaps you should double check yours is full HD compatible.

azrael- likes this.
  15. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

As has been stated previously you should definitely use a DVI->HDMI cable or a combination of DVI->HDMI adapter and HDMI cable. Using the analog VGA signal with your tv will limit your resolution to 1366×768@60 Hz (as stated explicitly in the manual for your tv). HDMI, being backwards compatible with the digital portion of DVI, will let you display 1920x1080@60Hz, but as rv88uk correctly states your tv has a native resolution of 1366x768, so it won't in fact help you one bit. Apart from image quality, that is.

Actually, you're completely correct.

16. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

According to here that TV is not 1080p and also does not accept 1366x768 resolution from the HTPC via DVI/HDMI, so don't bother connecting this up.

Looks like someone beat me to it, but it means you will be limited to VGA still

17. james-milligan

Ok thanks very much. I think I understand now why it wont output at 1920x1080. I have played a ps3 through the tv and it said 1080p in the top corner but I guess it was just receiving that and not actually displaying it.
    Bloody_Pete I'm not quite sure which screw you are talking about as I have opened the case and I don't see how the graphics card could possibly go down any further as the bracket that you screw down can not move down any further?

18. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

LOL, I guess this will teach me for assuming the TV was Full HD, and not checking the specs of the TV. :wallbash:

19. james-milligan

Yes I also assumed that it was full HD as well... I guess 1280x1024 will do until I get a decent monitor. I am still annoyed about the mini-HDMI to HDMI adapter not fitting though :/

20. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

the screw bloody pete was refering to is the one that holds the graphics card in place, loosen it, wiggle card plug connector in then tighten the screw

the cards dont always sit straight, they move slightly as you tighten the screw, making some connectors inaccessable