1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling GFX card fan dying a very loud death

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by davey_wavey, 8 May 2013.

1. davey_wavey

davey_wavey What's a Dremel?

Hey guys,

One of the three fans on my Gigabyte GeForce GTX 570 OC card has decided it's had enough and is dying a long and very loud death.

I was wondering whether it was possible to simply buy a replacement and fit it myself? If so, what spec fan should I be looking for and where would I buy one?

Also, do you think it would be safe for my card to place something in the fan to stop it spinning and making such an annoying noise?

Thanks for any help you can offer

David

2. total zombie

total zombie What's a Dremel?

the card may still be in warranty contact the suppler and see what they say, i wouldnt block the fan, stopping them spinning will generate heat and possibly start cooking its self, if the card is out of warranty let us know i have a few more ideas.

3. megadriveguy

megadriveguy Minimodder

4. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

This first! :thumb:

If you do want to DIY then if it were me I'd apply some ultra fine machine oil to the fans bearings. Do a little research first but it's likely all you need to do is peel back the fans sticker to reveal the inner workings then apply machine oil. When I've fixed fans in the past it only required a very small amount to lubricate the assembly.

5. davey_wavey

davey_wavey What's a Dremel?

Thanks a lot for the replies so far. I'll contact the supplier and check if it's under warranty first. Enjoy your day!