1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple Kindle, iPad 2 or....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Guinevere, 5 Mar 2011.

1. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Hi

Birthday time soon, and a couple of people were going to buy me a kindle, but if I pool everyone's generosity I can aim for an upgrade.

I need:

- The ability to read, with some level of annotation. I write for a living, and I want a tablet to edit.
    - That's it

My thoughts and what I'd like:

- I use an iphone for "non work" reading in bed ATM, the backlight means I can read in the dark without waking up the other half.
    - My main work machine is a Mac.
    - The writing software I use (Scrivener) is OSX first and foremost and has good sync to iPad tools
    - I used to do a bit of iOS dev, but not much recently - may change in the future.
    - The iPad 2 is cool, but I wish they'd have put in a retina style display, so cool for reading!
    - Other apps on the iPad would be useful (But I have my iPhone so not essential)
    - Kindle 3G would be nice, but I can hotspot into my iPhone so no great loss (Thinking of UK use here)
    - Battery life isn't that important as long as it will allow reading for 4-5 hours at a stretch
    - I could write on an iPad (I have a folding full size keyboard)
    - My iPhone is an old 3G (jailbroken), a more powerful iOS device would be nice
    - I can't stand resistive touch screens
    - For day to day reading I think the kindle screen is better, but I'm very happy reading on an LCD
    - I don't need to root / jailbreak a device, although I've done so on my iPhone now it's reached it's last ever firmware with apple (Allowing my bluetooth kb & wifi hotspot)
    - Cameras / Facetime not important. We've got a couple of DSLRs in the house, a video camera, a high end HD video shooting compact and my crappy iPhone camera
    - I wouldn't buy the iPad 1 new - although I'd consider a real bargain 2nd hand. (may put up a wanted request)

So the iPad 2 is winning by a mile, I don't need 3G so the basic £450ish machine would do the trick. 16GB is horridly small, but I could live with it as this would be a "work" machine 1st and foremost, and I'll normally have my laptop and iPhone with me anyway.

Thoughts?

Any android tablets that'll work like a cheaper iPad 2? I see Samsung are in a bit of a flap RE the pricing of the iPad 2 and are thinking of reducing prices to compete.

2. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Sounds like you've answered your own question, but if it were me I wouldn't want to type much on the iPad - I'd get a laptop instead for that.

For reading though and viewing other content, it'll be pretty damned good.

3. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

I've got a 13" MBP for proper writing:

I'd only type at length on the iPad using an apple bluetooth keyboard (my other half has one she doesn't use) or my stowaway bluetooth.

[​IMG]

For quick notes when proof reading, the kindle KB or the onscreen iOS KB would do.

Tags: