1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD reports $197 million loss for Q3 2015

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 16 Oct 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Can someone explain how a AMD can still exist after losing millions upon millions of dollars every single quarter, for years! I can't get my head around it.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Because it has a few billion dollars in assets, and it keeps floggin' 'em off to keep its head above water. The GlobalFoundries spin-off, the sale and re-lease of its headquarters, and now the sale - sorry, 'joint venture' in which AMD takes a token and likely temporary 15% ownership - of its assembly and test facilities.

Trouble is, sooner or later it's going to run out of assets it can sell without affecting its core business (arguably, it already did: look at how the GloFo deal came back to bite it in the bum). All it can do for now is hope that Zen comes out before that happens, and that it's the game-changer it needs to put it back on top. It did it before, when Intel launched the disastrous NetBurst architecture, but whether it can do it when the competition isn't busy shooting itself in the foot remains to be seen.

4. DraigUK

DraigUK Minimodder

"and GPU rival AMD ...."

Assuming this should read NVidia...

5. Gareth Halfacree

Indeed it should - fixed, ta!

6. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Sad times. I'm hoping that their next set of products will be stunning, because if they're just competitive I suspect they'll continue to decline.

7. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

even with the 5870 being the fastest gaming card - they lost market share. and with the X2 beating intel - they lsot market share (intel paying off companies not to buy AMD)

8. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

If they were capable of stunning I think we would have seen it by now.

9. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

The 5870 wasn't actually fastest at any point, was it? The 480 was quite a bit quicker, just a massively flawed product, what with all the heat and noise. Your point still stands though; if they can't gain marketshare with a product that's widely accepted as being a better buy than the competition, they're a little screwed.

10. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

5870 was launched September 2009 - gtx 480 was april 2010.

ergo , it was the fastest for those 7 months. but as we both agree - even with the best , they lsot market share

11. theshadow2001

Because humans are a bunch of numb-nuts, I think that marketing probably plays more into the success of a product than how well the product performs. I think Nvidia are better at marketing.

12. SAimNE

SAimNE What's a Dremel?

i hope they pull out of this. in terms of innovations that improve the PC experience AMD are pretty much a central player. they develop and release a lot of tech.... nvidia makes everything proprietary. Even without considering the loss of a competitor for both nvidia and intel, no AMD will definitely be a negative for everyone, not a positive.

13. theshadow2001

There was some issues with AMD not sending a review copy of one of their cards to the tech report with one of AMDs representatives saying silly things on twitter that implied a bias in the Tech Report. On a later pod cast Wasson (of tech report) claimed that he had people from rival companies contacting him and telling him to go easy on AMD. He indicated hat even competitors were concerned about the sate of AMD. A lack of competition will probably have implications for their own business due to monopolies being established or whatever. He also said of course there were people that didn't care. There was concern from the industry none the less.

But I think a lot of people in the industry, from competitors to consumers would feel a hit if AMD go under. It's important that they stick around. Or at least someone else can step up and take their place.

14. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

I don't think AMD have a magic bullet, because if they did they would have launched it already. Zen isn't going to solve their problems, or give them any meaningful increase in market share (and hence profits). They're just going to haemorrhage cash until they eventually go under. It's a real shame they'll drag ATI down with them.

15. theshadow2001

I don't think ATI will die. I imagine they'll spin off the graphics division as someone would probably buy that. Or maybe they will become a graphics only company and sell whatever cpu assets they have.

16. zimano

zimano What's a Dremel?

Who else would be all over the Zen cpu if it had 6 or 8 cores even if they were 10% slower than Intels offerings IPC wise? For me, AMD can get a big win with the enthusiasts if they just leave internal gfx off the cpu and nearly compete.

17. rollo

rollo Modder

Intel can launch a 6 core or 8 core chip at will. ATI is the reason AMD are in this mess in the first place over paid for ATI and have massively struggled to even pay off the loans they took to buy ATI.

18. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I would love AMD to put out some competitive stuff across the board (price wise), I've just switched to an intel build purely due to ease, but the previous 3 builds (both for myself and my family) have all used AMD APUs and they've been great.

19. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

So would AMD

20. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

The majority of software still doesn't use more than a single core let alone 6-8, and that's probably never going to change as for the majority of software it's just not worth the investment, that's not to say there's no software that sees gain from using more cores, it's just that those are in a minority.

For Zen to be a success AMD needs it to highly scalable in a similar fashion to how Skylake can be used in everything from a 28W mobile device all the way up to the 91W gaming monster, but they don't only need to match what Intel is offering they need to better it, either in terms of power consumption, performance, or both.