1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you regret voting?

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Modsbywoz, 19 Jul 2010.

1. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

Just a thought really (no, it didn't hurt).

Does anyone regret the voting they did/didn't do? I mean, has anyone voted Tory / Lib Dem and now regret it? Does anyone miss Labour?

Just wondered as there's been a lot of changes since, for the better/worse?

E.g. Public Sector cuts, School repairs cancelled etc?

2. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I voted and I don't regret it.

3. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Not at all.

4. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

I dont see how you can regret voting, you still voted for who you wanted and if you hadnt voted the result would have been that.
    A. You'd have the same result as we have or
    B. Labour would still be in power.

I didnt vote and dont regret not doing so, but its a case of dealing with what we have , im not sure i agree with some of the cuts, but money has to be saved somewhere, so somebodies always going to lose out.

5. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

i voted , but i don't regret it. i didn't vote for who got in, but hey, thats what we are stuck with, no point regretting it

6. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

I would have regretted not voting even though I didn't get the result I wanted.

7. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

people who didn't vote cannot complain about the state of the country ever

8. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

I'm not even in the UK, but the truth is, I see voting as my civic duty. I can't fight for my country, but I can at least participate in the electoral process. So long as you vote, no vote is wasted.

I truly understand the feeling, but at least you care enough to try.

9. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

Does it bother anyone else that we haven't had a government we voted for in 3+ years?

10. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

oh ffs, we are not in the states we do not vote for the PM we vote for the party!

11. VipersGratitude

True dat, but in a party retaining power the cabinet is likely to stay the same, likewise the shadow cabinet is likely to remain largely unchanged in the case of the minority party coming to power. This influences voting heavily!

12. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

And what bearing does that have on your implication that the Brown govt was some how illegitimate because the people did not vote for Brown directly?

13. VipersGratitude

I didn't say it was illegitimate; I simply stated the fact that, for over 3 years, the people running the country have not been determined by an informed majority vote.

14. Combinho

Combinho Ten kinds of awesome

Well, Gordon Brown was, as everybody knew full well at the time that Blair was likely to step down, and that his most likely his successor. It was hardly a secret, for God's sake. As to the current government, they're as close to a majority vote as we have (much as it pains me). The party with a majority which you so want does not exist, so we go by the country's democratic convention of a coalition.

In summary, it is, and always has been, a non-issue. the real issue is electoral reform, but that's a topic for another day.

Back on topic, I still feel happy that I voted for the best option (in my opinion) even if they didn't get in. Although, as I don't vote for PM, my choice did win. I love (read: hate) our system.

15. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

Nope, because just like every other general election in my life i've been of voting age, my vote was wasted by the horror that is FPTP.

Because my area is a close con/lab mix and i greatly dislike both, i don't think my vote will ever count unless i move to a different area :(

Probably won't even bother voting next time if the voting system is unchanged, it's just a waste of a trip

16. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

Democracy is a participatory sport.

17. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

Even those who tried to vote and were turned away less than 10m from the door (like myself)? :eyebrow:

18. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Thats your own fault for not getting there on time, the polling stations are open all day.

I dont regret voting but i am slightly annoyed that my lib dem vote = a tory win but thats our democratic process for you. Cameron is proving to be as much of a cock as i thought he would be seems to fulfilling the belief that he is all style over substance.

19. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

+1 I vote we should all party too! see what I did there

20. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

Since when did Tony Blair ever carry the majority of voters? Is suspect that every election for the last 50+ years was won by a party that wasn't voted for by a majority of the population.

And ironically, this is a good thing. If a party were so popular that it commanded a majority of votes, it means we wouldn't have an effective or worthy opposition. A good opposition is effective for a good government.

The downside of the Tories re-inventing themselves in the late-nineties/early-noughties was the fact that Tony Blair was able to rule without much in the way of opposition or oversight.