1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Pink letter on my desk, it reads "Jury Summons"

Discussion in 'General' started by rainbowbridge, 13 Aug 2010.

1. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

Has any bit tech members in the UK been issued a Jury Summons before?

I have to attend Jury service next month at a herts crown court.

I have a three page pink letter on my desk.

Im not pleased because I have work to do, ive told my boss and they are like, you can get out of it.

A few things.

1- The court will only pay only £32.47p a day and I need to claim back I think for loss of earnings?

2- Im not so sure I want to sit in a court for who knows how long listening to the finer details on some thing aweful.

3- If I am to attend I want to be a good jury and make a decision which is fair mature and accurate to the facts, how do I learn to be fair mature and accurate in under 30 days :D

What happens if its a monster 200+ day trial, I have work to do in the city and people rely on my services.

Im interested in this but I would rather pass, has any one got out of this because of work issues?

*If any bit tech members are on trial in herts next month do a gangster west coast hand sign when you sit down and Ill see what I can do for you :D

Just when I thought I had my diary all sweet for the next few months till nov.

RB

2. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

I'm sure the system is similar enough as it is here in Ireland.

If you have valid grounds for not being there, they will let you go. Just need to write a letter replying to the summons and stating that you can't go.

I actually got a summons this year as well, the one and only one I will get. I couldn't go because I am trying to finish my PhD at the moment and I got an exemption from going to it. Turned out the trial was about a woman who stabbed her brother to death. Nasty enough case, but it was fairly clear cut from what I found out from the news.

Being honest, I still regret not having gone. Guess I wanted the experience.

But still, if you have a valid reason, it should be easy enough to obtain an exemption.

3. foxpoo

foxpoo Thumb it in

Tell the judge you'll make a great juror, as you can spot guilty people just by looking at them :D

pimonserry likes this.
  4. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Even joking about showing any favouritism can land you with a contempt of court charge. I know it sounds daft, but these days its easier and easier to link your online persona with your real ID.

As far as jury duty goes, you pretty much have to put up with it. Its not easy to get out of. The best you could hope is to allow them to defer you for a while if its commercially damaging for your company. My mum is a book-keeper, the only one that can do her job there, and she still had to go for a fortnight.

Best thing you can hope is that all the cases are short and the judge dismisses you early each day!

5. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

We know where you are, find our man 'not guilty' or your gonna get it.

ps: Just joking.

pps: I'm not really.....you know what to do.

6. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

shave your hair off, and wear a tank top to the first meeting. some tattoos might help too ;)

7. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

8. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Act racist/feminist/chauvinist/homophobic and you might get off :p

A decent letter probably stands a better chance, though >.>

9. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

What would happen if I turned up in a judges hair peices with this on a teeshirt.

[​IMG]

I know some one that did jury service and the night before they swallowed a lump of ash, next day he was off his nuts and in the jury box with the judge glarying at him.

They have sent me this letter and just the right time, Im totally a boring person now and will dutfully do the task.

I hope its not a murder case, but then only serious stuff goes to a crown.

10. Rogan

Rogan Not really a

Or, alternatively, you could just do your civic duty.

Some people...

jezmck likes this.
  11. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Not sure if it's possible for you guys, or how well it'll work, but my ever-wise uncle taught me the trick that has been saving him for years: Reschedule on to a holiday which doesn't have a set date. He uses thanksgiving since no one ever checks ahead to see the day he listed is actually a holiday during which court is not held. Just don't try it with set date things like December 25th, they'll likely catch you on that one :p

12. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

Thats what will most likely happen, and I will do it to the best of my ability as long as the office can afford to have me off.

13. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

Nice.

14. Stotherd-001

Stotherd-001 Minimodder

I've done it. It was the most boring 2 weeks of my life.

I dunno if the system has changed or if your local area has a different policy, mine was in northern ireland in early september.

The first thing they did was send a warning letter saying theres a chance you'll get called in the next year. Then I got a months warning with exact dates.

They expect you to come in certain days over the 2 week period where you sit in a big room and wait. Then you get randomly selected to sit in a jury. Most juries are very short. I sat in 2 where basically the judge said "Vote this way, cause thats the way the system works" and we were done in 15 minutes.

Most of the time it will only take up half a day, 2-3 days a week. Unless you go into a proper jury, then you're frakked.

You can only get out of it if you say your studies will be irrevesibly affected, or you work in a healthcare, prison, or ministerial (religion or state) capacity, as far as i remember. I believe you can claim to be on holiday, or a business trip and all you have to do is prove you'll be out of the country with your tickets.

Self employeed may be able to get out of it too.

15. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Civic duty is fine if it doesn't damage your livelyhood ;)

Sounds as though this chaps boss needs him at work, and well, not getting out of it might well affect his ability to earn :p

16. Stotherd-001

Stotherd-001 Minimodder

From the government website:
    Jurors may be excused for valid business reasons. Applications of this type should, however, be looked at closely and granted only if there would be unusual hardship. A small business is an example of a case where such hardship might be suffered, although each case must be considered on its individual merits. Paragraph 4 (above) applies.

Located:
    http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/js_guidance_0709.pdf

17. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

I wish you could apply for this stuff. I've been waiting for jury service for two whole years now.

18. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

I would love to do it too, I have always wondered what goes off in the jurors room when they retire to deliberate their verdict. I remember watching 12 Angry Men years ago, and it always left me fascinated by the jury deliberation process.

Well that's me snookered then, seeing as I have shaven hair and tattoos:eyebrow:

19. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

So who can get called up for jury service? Can anyone be at any time, or do they have specific criteria they use to select people? Do they only select a specific age group or are younger people just as likely to get selected as older people?

20. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

As far as I know, it can be anyone over the age of 18, and under the age of 65. You do have to be of good character (ie. no unspent criminal convictions) too, and a British national. Don't know what system they use for calling people up though, probably look for a proportional representation of the public when they do?

EDIT: The age range is from 18 to 70yrs old. I found a site with more in-depth info here:

http://www.unlock.org.uk/xoffenders.aspx?sid=181

Last edited: 14 Aug 2010