1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Self Portrait and exposure.....

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by NzC, 18 Oct 2008.

1. NzC

NzC What's a Dremel?

So I have been playing around with a lot of self portraiture lately and I really like this one. However, I am trying to figure out if the exposure is correct. I know it is on MY screen, which means I know what it will look like if I were to print it. Its exactly what I want exposure wise, but I am not sure if it is correctly coming across on all monitors. My right eye is just visible with a little catch light. I do not want anymore, but I hope its seen cuz it looks cool to me....

[​IMG]

Anyways let me know what you think.

2. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

On both of my screens, your right eye (photo left) is fairly visible, maybe -1EV or so? with the catchlight just noticeable, though your left eye (photo right) is 100% obscured in shadow. Overall I think it works well, though I'm not sure about the background color. Well, other than the fact that it looks like you're ready to jump across the table and strangle me :lol:

3. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

This seems like a sillohoute to me, but from what your saying you want your face to be shown, subtlety. I would say you need more direct light from a bounce source (like the wall so its not to strong), and it'll make it more bright. To me the light from the left seems to dull and the light behind you seems to strong. At least to me.

:)

4. akpoly

akpoly What's a Dremel?

hmmm... I'm not a fan of the color in the back.

On my monitor I can just make out your eye, it is a bit hard truthfully. I also don't think the color works very well for your skin. Your skin color looks like that of an embalmed cadaver. Its too gray. But perhaps that is what you were going for.

Kudos for making sure your reflective surface was clean.

5. Vers

Vers ...

I'm not sure if this is intentional but it looks as if your slightly underexposed and as akpoly said the skin tones are a bit off--at least this is how it looks on my monitor. BG color doesn't bother me. If you've got an original and don't mind posting it I can show you what I mean.

Last edited: 18 Oct 2008
  6. cosmic

cosmic What's a Dremel?

On my calibrated monitor, it looks as if your close - I would think 1/4 stop more exposure would help to give a hint of detail on the left of the face. Also maybe a bit more contrast. There is a bright white area under the left eye which detracts from the picture - worth cloning that out.

Tags: